1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

Merlin 380.68_2 on ASUS RT-AC66U_B1

Discussion in 'Asuswrt-Merlin' started by 58chev, Mar 14, 2018.

1. 58chev

58chev Regular Contributor

Hi Folks, New here..

I un-packaged my new to me RT-AC66U_B1 router last night and did a reset to factory. Logged in to make sure all was OK.
    Then up graded the factory firmware to Merlin 380.68_2.

All looks great but near the top right of the main page, there is an exclamation mark blinking. Warning me to upgrade firmware. I am thinking this is standard ASUS firmware.

My question is, now that this router is running Merlin, do I just ignore the upgrade warning?

2. skeal

skeal Part of the Furniture

Your router is a ac68u as you know. The latest firmware for it is 384.3 stable. That may be what is going on. If you click on the icon that blinks it may shed some light on things.

3. 58chev

Hi, sorry i did edit my post. Router is a AC66U.

I will check when I get home and see if it gives me any indication of what firmware it wants to install.

I just wasn't sure it it wants to pull firmware from ASUS or a Merlin firmware.

4. skeal

If your router is a ac66u_B1 then it's a arm7 processor. This is the aquivalent to an ac68u. If this is true the firmware you want is the ac68u version.

5. drumist

drumist New Around Here

As skeal said, the RT-AC66U_B1 uses the same firmware as the RT-AC68U. It does not use the same firmware as the RT-AC66U. It's confusing, but blame ASUS for their weird naming convention.

You're seeing the blinking exclamation point because the latest stable Merlin firmware for RT-AC68U/RT-AC66U_B1 is 384.3.

58chev and skeal like this.
  6. 58chev

Hi,
    This much I know from the readme-merlin.txt, and have installed
    Devices supported on the legacy branch (380.xx):
    * RT-N66U
    * RT-AC66U
    * RT-AC66U_B1 (use the RT-AC68U firmware)

I just want to confirm if the alert is for a new Merlin firmware or standard ASUS firmware. Last thing I want to do is revert back to an ASUS Firmware.

7. 58chev

Thank you, that's what I wanted to confirm. As I have read that the ASUS router once connected to the net would want to do a firmware update.

8. Datalink

Datalink Occasional Visitor

Just to note, there is an Asus Version 3.0.0.4.384.20308 available for that router:

https://www.asus.com/ca-en/Networking/RT-AC66U-B1/HelpDesk_Download/

That might be why you're seeing the update available symbol flash.

But, just to be clear, you can load the RT-AC68U firmware on this router without issue? Doesn't apply to me, but someone that I was chatting with recently will be in this same position, with a new 66U-B1.

9. skeal

Once merlin is installed it will only signal merlin updates.

58chev and scjr like this.
  10. scjr

scjr Senior Member

Didn’t know that. Thanks for confirming, skeal.