What's new

Merlin AiMesh extremely unstable

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Draken

Occasional Visitor
Just spent 4h of my life trying to install Merlin on a new AC88U and an old AC68U.

Eventually everything went well but I am getting an extremely unstable AiMesh network.

The 88U is used as the main router and it is around 10m away from the 68U which is connected to desktop 1 and a powerline - which is connected to desktop 2. The place is full of 2.4Ghz mainly wifis.

Problem is that speedtests run from desktop 1 vary from 50mbits to 250mbits (my max connection speed) but on around 60%-70% of the tests I am not getting the max.

Also sometimes the connection drops for no reason.

The above issue didnt occur when I had the AC68U as the main router connected to a Archer C7 running on ddwrt.

Is there any solution of improving the quality of the AiMesh network or should I give it up and go back to ddwrt?

After installing RMerlin firmware on the routers, did you do a full reset to factory defaults and then did not use a saved backup config file?

What firmware did you install on each?

You may want to follow the AiMesh install notes from @OzarkEdge.

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/o...-supported-products.44375/page-14#post-381537

Also, a diagram may help us to better visualize your network layout. Is the RT-AC68U connected via a Power Line Adaptor in AiMesh, or Wirelessly?

After installing RMerlin firmware on the routers, did you do a full reset to factory defaults and then did not use a saved backup config file?

Yes. Actually the AC88U got Merlin out of the box and the AC68U has been nvram cleared and reset a few times after the firmware flashing.

What firmware did you install on each?

384.14_2

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/o...-supported-products.44375/page-14#post-381537

I have given up to be honest. Not worth spending a whole day trying to set it up. Reverted back to ddwrt and everything seems to be working fine. If I decide next time to instal Merlin will have a look.

Also, a diagram may help us to better visualize your network layout. Is the RT-AC68U connected via a Power Line Adaptor in AiMesh, or Wirelessly?

The two routers cannot be connected via powerlines due to the quality of the copper wires. They speak to each other via 5Ghz and then the AC68U is connected to a powerline so that desktop 2 can have internet as well.

Thanks for the reply but it seems that ddwrt is more stable and the performance has increased slightly with the AC88U as I am getting around 350mbits internally vs 250mbits I had, but still not good enough to upgrade my line. Hopefully the VPN will be a bit more stable now due to the new processor.

I've run a AC88U with two Lyra (with ethernet connection) without any problems with 384.13, and when I upgraded to 384.15 AiMesh got really unstable. Reverting back to 384.13 solved the issue.

I'm now testing the recent 384.16 firmware to check if AiMesh got fixed.

I run AiMesh on my RT-AC5300 with some Lyra AC2200 since last summer. Until 384.13 mesh has run very well. 384.15 had run bad but on 384.16 I have more trouble than on 384.15.
I thin I will get back to 384.13 to get a stable AiMesh.

I have an RT-AC88U as the router and a RT-AC68U as a mesh node with wired back-haul, both on 384.16 without any issues. When I first implemented AiMesh it was a wireless back-haul and it was very unstable, almost unusable.

I'm now testing the recent 384.16 firmware to check if AiMesh got fixed.

And.... back to 384.13.

When reviewing the change log, version 384.14 says:
- UPDATED: RT-AC88U, RT-AC3100 to GPL 384_81351 and binary
blobs from 384_81116

Maybe this update broke AiMesh.

Hi, I have same problem, on my node i lost the wifi 2,4 but 5 it working fine. So if I downgrade to 384.13 my wifi gonna be fix it?

Hi, I have same problem, on my node i lost the wifi 2,4 but 5 it working fine.

Don't downgrade anything yet. What router? Reset the node, add it again. This is easy and fast. See if it is working after.

Running 384.16 along with Aimesh , paired up running (2) AX88U
I have done wireless and wired backhaul. without any issues ( currently running it wired)

I would reset the node again as K-2SO has suggested

Don't downgrade anything yet. What router? Reset the node, add it again. This is easy and fast. See if it is working after.
Router ac86u, yes if I reset is working fine but after 1/2 days, doesn't work... Just on the node. On my main is working fine. I'm using the Merlin on my main and the node I'm using Asus firmware official.

Many reports of failing 2.4GHz band on RT-AC86U. Time for RMA perhaps. Does it work as a router?

I was thinking to do like a AP/Router and don't do like Aimesh to see if everything is fine... One question, what's mean RMA?

Thanks

Something you don't want to hear. Return Merchandise Authorization from Asus. Warranty replacement.
I just reemplace this one by another one... This is my second router, is new, just 1 week ago.

I restart the router and now is working fine... But I don't know why with Aimesh it happen.

Have you ever tired putting the 68U as primary and the 88 in the node?

it’s weird tho he’s saying ddwrt it’s working.

I am still using 384.13.

Just noticed Asus has released a new firmware for the AC86U: Version 3.0.0.4.384.82072? The description included " - Fixed wireless performance drop issue after send the feedback. ".

Am curious if anyone has given that a go?