Merlin compatible router with >1gb WAN and Network port?

• ATTENTION! As of November 1, 2020, you are not able to reply to threads 6 months after the thread is opened if there are more than 500 posts in the thread.
    Threads will not be locked, so posts may still be edited by their authors.
    Just start a new thread on the topic to post if you get an error message when trying to reply to a thread.

thebatfink

Occasional Visitor
Hi, are there any merlin compatible routers which have multi-gig WAN port and multi-gig network Ports? If none existing what recommendations are they? I really only use a few openvpn clients, an ip-sec server and vpn director in terms of configured functionality on my existing AX88U, so couldn’t lose that.

My broadband provider modem has a 2.5gb port (and I have 10gb switches) but the ports on the AX88U only do 1gb. Thanks.

taffeys

Regular Contributor
I believe no ASUS Wireless Router has dedicated "multi-gig" LAN ports and only the Asuswrt-Merlin supported GT-AX11000 and RT-AX86U (AX5700) have a 2.5Gb WAN port. My RT-AX86U's WAN is connected to my cable modem by 2.5Gb ports. If I am mistaken I'm sure someone else will chime-in.

Last edited:

Morris

I believe no ASUS Wireless Router has dedicated "multi-gig" LAN ports and only the Asuswrt-Merlin supported GT-AX11000 and RT-AX86U (AX5700) have a 2.5Gb WAN port. My RT-AX86U's WAN is connected to my cable modem by 2.5Gb ports. If I am mistaken I'm sure someone else will chime-in.
The 2.5Gb WAN port can be used as a LAN port. I tie this to a 2.6Gb port on my 10-Gb switch allowing me to exceed 1Gb throughput on my WiFi. You will have to do port channel for either the WAN or LAN side to exceed 1-Gb on both.

Morris

thebatfink

Occasional Visitor
The 2.5Gb WAN port can be used as a LAN port. I tie this to a 2.6Gb port on my 10-Gb switch allowing me to exceed 1Gb throughput on my WiFi. You will have to do port channel for either the WAN or LAN side to exceed 1-Gb on both.

Morris
I did some more looking around and seems only the RT-AX89X is carrying 2 ports for simultaneous LAN/WAN rather than a single switchable port. I’m not really interested in aggregating ports as I want the speed at each end device.

In any case seems Merlin is out the window then and its back to Asus basics or go something like Unifi Dream Machine or diy pfsense then.

AndreiV

Very Senior Member
I did some more looking around and seems only the RT-AX89X is carrying 2 ports for simultaneous LAN/WAN rather than a single switchable port. I’m not really interested in aggregating ports as I want the speed at each end device.

In any case seems Merlin is out the window then and its back to Asus basics or go something like Unifi Dream Machine or diy pfsense then.

Not here yet but this looks intriguing :

TURRIS OMNIA 2022

Yeah, right. So here is what we can share right now in English:

CPU 2GHz Quad-Core 64-bit, more RAM (4GB and higher),Wi-Fi 6, 5G, 2x 10Gbps interface (WAN & LAN), internal SSD option.

Unfortunately, no ETA yet. But we aim for 2022.

JDB

Very Senior Member
As already suggested, you could go with the RT-AX89X
The 10G SPF+ Port can have a 10GBaseT transceiver in it - 10GTek make a compatible one - not sure if the SPF+ put you off?

You'd lose Merlin compatibility, but if you are only using VPN as you say then that is in the Asus stock firmware.

I've also got FTTP with up to 10G capabilities (currently only paying for 900Mbps) and a 10G Ethernet backbone/core switch in the house so I'm ready to go multi-gig. I'm waiting for the next gen of routers which will have AXE 6Ghz WiFi and hopefully (from what I've seen) multiple WAN/LAN 2.5G or 10G BaseT ports.

Would be cool if the ISP let you terminate the fibre direct on an SPF+ fibre port and do away with their ONT - that's one less device to power and no copper conversion up to the router.

thebatfink

Occasional Visitor
No SFP+ is fine, my ISP router has a 2.5gb RJ45 port which I can feed to the routers WAN inout but my switches have dual port SFP+ and RJ45 so could make that work. Right now my service is 1130mb but I’m capping it going into my AX88U with its 1gb port limitation. Also allegedly my ISP is also gearing up for 2gb in the near future which with the Asus Merlin options I guess would be pointless having.

I guess we are just at that point these speeds are being commercially available for homes more broadly so we are waiting for devices to catch up and next gen might deliver as you say.

The Turris device looks interesting but same position, its not available yet. Looks like will have to check this out again in 6 months see what else is available or just go with the 89X. Thanks.

mlord

Occasional Visitor
I have the RT-AX86U, which already includes ONE 2.5gbit/sec port, for use as either LAN or WAN. That solves half of the problem. Should my ISP ever get around to offering >1gbit service here, my plan is to add a USB 2.5Gbit USB3 dongle to that router, and use it for a second 2.5Gbit port. The groundwork has already been done:

A couple of other devices on my existing 2.5Gbit LAN are already using the Realtek dongles, and they work very well.

unsynaps

No SFP+ is fine, my ISP router has a 2.5gb RJ45 port which I can feed to the routers WAN inout but my switches have dual port SFP+ and RJ45 so could make that work. Right now my service is 1130mb but I’m capping it going into my AX88U with its 1gb port limitation. Also allegedly my ISP is also gearing up for 2gb in the near future which with the Asus Merlin options I guess would be pointless having.

I guess we are just at that point these speeds are being commercially available for homes more broadly so we are waiting for devices to catch up and next gen might deliver as you say.

The Turris device looks interesting but same position, its not available yet. Looks like will have to check this out again in 6 months see what else is available or just go with the 89X. Thanks.
What futuristic country is your ISP in?