What's new

Merlin firmware v386.2_6 Problems

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

porfavorhelp

Regular Contributor
Canon printer MB2700 Series can not connect to wifi after v386.2_6 installed. Download Master change folder directory is not working for instance I want to save to USB 2 drive do not work. Parental control sometimes do not block stream on 1 device. Also it Can not block person from changing their public dns.

Welcome to the forums @porfavorhelp.

What firmware are you coming from? When was the last time you did a full reset? Have you read the changelog for the 386.xx branch?

How did you do a reset? How did you configure the router afterward? Was the firmware you're using flashed first, before the reset, or later? More details are needed.

Canon printer MB2700 Series can not connect to wifi after v386.2_6 installed. Download Master change folder directory is not working for instance I want to save to USB 2 drive do not work. Parental control sometimes do not block stream on 1 device. Also it Can not block person from changing their public dns.
I have also reported issues with Parental Control. My resolution is to scheduled reboot on the main router.

I also see the error line a lot on the log
Jun 22 21:02:27 kernel: protocol 0800 is buggy, dev eth7
Read this:

Does Asus check this forum for issues with their routers? Since I have several. Or we have to contact merlin firmware or asus to report the issue?

Need to report to the dev making the firmware you're having issues with.

For the stock firmware, use the feedback button within the router's GUI.

You mean the canon printer company?
I understand the focus on the router after the upgrade, but have you tried resetting the wifi configuration on the printer?

I've had issues with printers stopping talking to routers before (an Epson talking to a BT hub in that instance) and every so often it needed to be told to forget the wifi and re-connect, re-enter password etc. Now I think about it from your post I wonder if BT pushing updates to the hub may have had a hand in it.

My printer is a Canon MB2700 Series and tried to reset the wifi and it does not work. Can you tell how to forge the password ?

I founded why the printer is not connecting to the router. Problem is that when router wifi is configure as WPA2/WPA3 does not connect, but when I change it first to WPA/WPA2 it connect and even if change the router settings back to WPA2/WPA3 still connect. Can any body report this bug!

I founded why the printer is not connecting to the router. Problem is that when router wifi is configure as WPA2/WPA3 does not connect, but when I change it first to WPA/WPA2 it connect and even if change the router settings back to WPA2/WPA3 still connect. Can any body report this bug!

WPA3 requires PMF. Test with WPA/WPA2 and PMF, see if the printer connects. If it doesn't, the issue is in PMF.

WPA3 requires PMF. Test with WPA/WPA2 and PMF, see if the printer connects. If it doesn't, the issue is in PMF.
And if it does connect, I'd still argue that a re-flash with full factory reset etc. would be needed to prove the issue.

The fact it started working after bouncing between WPA/WPA2 and WPA2/WPC3 could be as simple as something not initialised properly after the firmware upgrade but then set when changing those settings back and forth.

Either way, I'm glad @porfavorhelp got the printer working.

Is a 'hard reset' recommended to install this and other firmware versions?
Here:
it states (emphasis added):
  • While it is generally not necessary to restore to factory defaults, it's not a bad idea, especially if there is a big jump in version number (e.g. from 112 to 178). No need to do the 30/30/30 dance as required by DD-WRT - just do a plain Factory Default reset, or turn the device on while keeping the WPS button pressed. (The procedure can be different from one model to another.)
I gather that a 'plain Factory Default reset' is a 'soft reset', whereas turning the device on while keeping the WPS button pressed is a 'hard reset'.
Is there actually any difference between the two?
On this forum I see several posts indicating a hard reset is highly recommended, but is this just superstition?

Is a 'hard reset' recommended to install this and other firmware versions?
Here it states (emphasis added):

"While it is generally not necessary to restore to factory defaults, it's not a bad idea, especially if there is a big jump in version number (e.g. from 112 to 178). No need to do the 30/30/30 dance as required by DD-WRT - just do a plain Factory Default reset, or turn the device on while keeping the WPS button pressed. (The procedure can be different from one model to another.)"
I would accept that statement literally.

Is there actually any difference between the two?
On this forum I see several posts indicating a hard reset is highly recommended, but is this just superstition?
Mostly superstition. The hard reset is primarily intended for routers that for whatever reason will not boot up successfully (and therefore you can't log in to do a 'soft' reset). Pressing the physical Reset button is also similar to the GUI reset.

Last edited: