What's new

Merlin for TUF AX5400?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Gilgamesh

New Around Here
Hello

I impulse bought couple of this routers together with friends as they were sold for only 100 euro and we found it to be good value for new AX router, did notice after that it does not support Merlin atm, but the AX82U who seems to have same specs as the TUF AX5400 does have Merlin build by @GNUton, would it be possible to get Merlin to work with this one too? Thanks

Last edited:
Welcome to the forums @Gilgamesh.

@Gilgamesh I do not have that hw and no plans to support it as for now.
thanks for answer, if it would be possible to make test builds without having the router in future I could test them out, thank you. :)

btw could I recover to stock firmware if I try to flash the RT-AX82U Merlin FW and it fails?

btw could I recover to stock firmware if I try to flash the RT-AX82U Merlin FW and it fails?

If you flash different router firmware in Mini CFE Web (no hardware verification there), you'll most likely need a new router. You can't flash different router firmware in any other way - it will be rejected. Use stock Asuswrt, this is the only firmware option for this router.

If you flash different router firmware in Mini CFE Web (no hardware verification there), you'll most likely need a new router. You can't flash different router firmware in any other way - it will be rejected. Use stock Asuswrt, this is the only firmware option for this router.
aha ok, well I'll run the stock firmware as it works good tbh, hopefully it gets Merlin love in future so I can adblock etc, went from R7800 with OpenWRT so I'm spoiled with the extra stuff. :)

so I can adblock etc

For ad-blocking purposes you can use the free AdGuard DNS service. It works pretty well. Current Asuswrt RC3 beta has some Merlin features, like DNSFilter and DNS-over-TLS, as well as new VPN options. You just have to wait a bit for the final firmware release.

I just saw this router on Amazon, ordered it and then checked merlin support and not listed so cancelled the order - bit of a bargin though !
I have a RT-AX58U running merlin and wanted another asus to setup a mesh, although 58U is down to £120 in the UK I think I'll hang it out and see if support is forth coming next year for the AX0000's