What's new

Merlin FW w/custom script noob question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

IronSchramm

Occasional Visitor
I apologize in advance as i'm sure i'm using the wrong termonology and everything, i'm very new to adding scripts to FW's. I've been running custome device firmwares for years, but add-on scripting is new to me.

Anyways a few weeks (maybe a month) ago someone posted a script designed to cut down traffic from iOS devices. I added that script to my Asus RT-87u running the latest version of Merlin at that time. I have since installed the latest 380_67 beta 1. And have flashed most of the stable firmwares released during that time frame. I want to know how to check to see if that iOS traffic script is still running and how to remove, or did flashing the updated firmwares have done that for me? I do not typically factory default the device between each firmware.

The reason I want to remove that script is i've actually ran into a few issues with iOS devices through out my home and i'm not sure if that script is possibly the cause. For instance, I purchased an apple watch, it has the ability to unlock my iMac, but it must go through a registration process to do that, it cannot complete that process at all. I've gone through every tech article i've found to verify it should work but it's not. The registration process requires all three devices, iMac, iPhone and Watch are on the same wifi network (they are) and it must connect to Apple services to authenticate the first time, that process times out.

Also Siri on our iOS devices is quite slow to aquire query results, if i'm on LTE (which is MUCH slower than my home fiber) Siri is almost instantanous in it's results.

Basically how can I remove that script or check if it's still running, thanks.

Basically how can I remove that script or check if it's still running, thanks.
Look in the syslog and you should see this message at boot time telling you that it's about to run the script:
Jan 1 00:00:53 custom script: Running /jffs/scripts/firewall-start (args: ppp0)

To disable the script just rename it to something else and restart the firewall:
cd /jffs/scripts
mv firewall-start firewall-start.ZZZZ
service restart_firewall

To re-enable it do the reverse:
cd /jffs/scripts
mv firewall-start.ZZZZ firewall-start
service restart_firewall

Look in the syslog and you should see this message at boot time telling you that it's about to run the script:
Jan 1 00:00:53 custom script: Running /jffs/scripts/firewall-start (args: ppp0)

To disable the script just rename it to something else and restart the firewall:
cd /jffs/scripts
mv firewall-start firewall-start.ZZZZ
service restart_firewall

To re-enable it do the reverse:
cd /jffs/scripts
mv firewall-start.ZZZZ firewall-start
service restart_firewall
---
Found this entry;
Jun 26 03:07:35 custom script: Running /jffs/scripts/firewall-start (args: ppp0)
---
And it appears that did the trick:
ASUSWRT-Merlin RT-AC87U 380.67-beta1 Sat Jun 24 19:03:20 UTC 2017
XXX@SCH-RTAC87U-01:/tmp/home/root# cd /jffs/scripts
XXX@SCH-RTAC87U-01:/jffs/scripts# mv firewall-start firewall-start.ZZZZ
XXX@SCH-RTAC87U-01:/jffs/scripts# service restart_firewall
Done.
---
Log Entry after running above:
Jun 26 13:03:21 rc_service: service 8548:notify_rc restart_firewall
---
I assume since the service was restarted with the last cmdlet I don't need to powercycle the router? Or should I do so for good measure?

Thanks again for your help!

So my watch finished it's registration process no issues, and Siri seems to be responding better, but I want to give that a bit more time for more testing.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!