What's new

Merlin N66U and IP cam with Static IP & easy name?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

trek_520

Regular Contributor
Hi,

I think I know how to to this but I wanted to confirm...

We have a static IP address from charter and am trying to configure the Panasonic IP cam for remote viewing.

I suppose I could forward some outside port <static IP>:8880 to the 192.168.1.176:80 (camera IP and loacl port number). That is not a very friendly way to get to the camera - Can I use a dynamic DNS service?

Panasonic has a free DDNS service called viewnetcam.com for their cameras, and that would get me a friendly name, but the setup seems to indicate it would not work in a static environment?

Just looking for the simplest way to do this. Also anyone have a recommendation for other IP cam stuff -
1. iOS apps for remote viewing?
2. Free iP cam recording software?

Thanks in advance for any/all help.

It shouldn't matter if you have a static or a dynamic IP - from a DDNS's point of view it's the same thing. The only thing to keep in mind is that some DDNS services (such as dyndns.org) require you to update your IP at least once a month, or they will deactivate your account. You can work around that potential issue either by going with a paid account, or looking at a service that does not have such a restriction.

Thanks Merlin

I was not aware of that monthly change requirement - I wonder if Panasonic's viewnetcam service requires that. I will do some digging and report back if so. Either way thanks for the heads up.

Does it matter if I use a different external port number to internal port?

Thanks again.

Does it matter if I use a different external port number to internal port?

Not a problem. You could have the external port 8888 redirect to your camera's port 80, for example.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!