What's new

Mesh connectivity vs setup question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

siapelan

New Around Here
I have a basic mesh question, which I struggle to find good answers to;

I have a mesh wifi network with 3 x TP-link Deco M9 routers in my house. I must admit i would have expected better performance that what I do;
  • The signal strength is very good all over the house, and ...
  • When I try download/upload speed tests being close to each of the devices, the speed is according to what the internet service provider promise, but ...
  • There seems to be some kind of "lag" everytime I click something, e.g. going to a new web page or even selecting a card in an online card game.
The last issue is really annoying and is only present when I am close to the two devices that are not the "base" that is directly connected to the wired network. This tells me that there is something in the communication with the "base" and the two "satellites"?

My house is not that big, so I must admit I would have expected this communication going a bit smoother ...

Anyways; my question is: Can I connect the two satellites to the "base" via cables and still maintain the "mesh network" functionality? I am kind of hoping this may fix the communication issue between the devices, but there may be some issues?

Hi there, I am on day one of a 3 node M9+ mesh myself, using wireless backhaul in AP mode (still using an older Asus as my main router). I'm not seeing any lag or throughput issues, runs very snappy on my Android phone, in fact I just measured over 200 Mbps via one of the secondary nodes, which may even be hopping through the other secondary wireless node. Unfortunately, the tp-link app doesn't show a network map to see how the nodes are communicating).

if I'm understanding your question correctly, yes you can attach your secondary nodes to the Ethernet network that your primary M9 is on, and they will use wired backhaul instead of wireless, delivering the same fast seamless roaming as you move about your home.

If you're measuring great throughput on wireless, though, not sure what would explain noticeable lag/latency. I'll be interested to hear if wired backhaul eliminates the problem.

Hi there, I am on day one of a 3 node M9+ mesh myself, using wireless backhaul in AP mode (still using an older Asus as my main router). I'm not seeing any lag or throughput issues, runs very snappy on my Android phone, in fact I just measured over 200 Mbps via one of the secondary nodes, which may even be hopping through the other secondary wireless node. Unfortunately, the tp-link app doesn't show a network map to see how the nodes are communicating).

if I'm understanding your question correctly, yes you can attach your secondary nodes to the Ethernet network that your primary M9 is on, and they will use wired backhaul instead of wireless, delivering the same fast seamless roaming as you move about your home.

If you're measuring great throughput on wireless, though, not sure what would explain noticeable lag/latency. I'll be interested to hear if wired backhaul eliminates the problem.

I did connect the devices with cables, and the performance seems to be much better, at the same time as the mesh functionality seems to work fine

I did connect the devices with cables, and the performance seems to be much better, at the same time as the mesh functionality seems to work fine

Glad to hear, thanks for reporting back. Now, perhaps an RF network expert here can explain the latency you were experiencing on wireless backhaul, despite plenty of throughput.

Not an RF expert, but this may be a good example of non-WiFi related interference affecting our WiFi space.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!