What's new

Missing a Site Survey page?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

The reason is that the setup script is using the same mechanism used by YazFi to attach the webpage tab as an "add-on" to the router's webGUI. This method takes one of the maximum 20 "slots" available to add a webpage, so the caveat is that if/when you have exhausted the 20 available slots by installing actual add-ons with webGUI support, there won't be any room left anymore, and the setup script will error out saying that it can't add the "Site Survey" webpage.
You should be able to use the original filename and just sed the entry into /tmp/menuTree.js. No need to occupy one of the 20 slots if you’re not modifying the original survey ASP.

You should be able to use the original filename and just sed the entry into /tmp/menuTree.js. No need to occupy one of the 20 slots if you’re not modifying the original survey ASP.
Yeah, initially that's what I thought as well, but when I coded & tested a couple of ideas that at the time seemed like a good "solution," none of them worked so I decided to stick with what I knew would work, based on what I had done before for testing/debugging the modified YazFi webpages.

For the record, the following are the ideas that I tested using the original "Advanced_Wireless_Survey.asp" file without any changes to its name or contents.

1) Added the webpage to the "Tools" menu, leaving alone the already existing entry found in the "Wireless" menu.

2) Added the webpage to the "Tools" menu *and* removed the already existing entry from the "Wireless" menu.

3) Added the webpage to the "Tools" menu, removed the already existing entry from the "Wireless" menu *and* changed the tab "title" just to double-check that something was in fact taking effect.

In every case, the webpage tab never became visible at all, although the webpage was indeed available under "Tools" when I typed in the ASP file ("http://{ROUTER_IP}/Advanced_Wireless_Survey.asp") directly in the browser.

It's certainly possible that I missed some key change or "trick" to make it work, but at the time I didn't have enough time & motivation to continue on the unproductive path, so I chose the solution that was finally provided. I also figured that if someone really has the need to have 20 webGUI add-on tabs on their ASUS router, it's probably not a person that would also want the "Site Survey" webpage.

You have to "Start Data Collection" under Configure.
Hmm. I have an RT-AC86U on 386.9_0 (thanks Merlin) and I see the same thing as @AppleBag (only shows the router's own SSID) but clicking the "Start Data Collection" seems to do nothing except change the associated button text to "Stop Data Collection". Have tried selecting the various days etc and clicking "Submit" but no change. Also tried downloading the data file to check data acquisition is working but this results in the router logging me out :mad:

Will keep playing but perhaps it's time to reset & reconfigure the router as it's not been done for years!