What's new

Missing a Site Survey page?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

AppleBag

Regular Contributor
I'm using the latest Merlin (Rog theme) on a GT-AX6000 and was migrating settings from my old 68U and noticed there isn't a page in the GT-AX6000 for the "Site Survey"?

On the 68U:

1672288938871.png

I can't seem to find it via any clickable link in the GT-AX6000 UI. There is a "Site Survey" in the GT (at visindex.asp) but it's very different. As a test, I pasted the page (Advanced_Wireless_Survey.asp) into the GT's URL and it does exist, just not in any linked way:

1672288924434.png

I do like this "simple view" and would like to be able to access it via a link, as in the older router. Am I overlooking the link to it somewhere in the GT? If not, is there a specific reason it's not included? Can it be re-added?

Thanks!

Last edited:
The Wireless Survey on newer HND models is on the WiFi Radar page.

You have to "Start Data Collection" under Configure.
Ty @ColinTaylor , I'm the first to admit that I can be a dumdum sometimes, lol.

I didn't expect that I'd have to go into a "configure" page first, in order to have it "start working". lol

I'd still love to have that old tab/link to also get to the old version; especially since the page already exists right there in the software, it's just "hidden". Do you know of a way to add this in? via an addin or something? Seems like a simple "fix", I just don't really know the process to do it myself.

Just create a shortcut in your browser. Done.

I's also like to have a clickable link to the "old" one.
I removed the original Site Survey page on models that had Wifi Radar because having two features that do the same thing is redundant and would be confusing.

However it seems that Broadcom never bothered to update Wifi Radar (it's their code), it doesn't support the 6 GHz band, and even the 160 MHz support is iffy. So I might eventually give up on Wifi Radar, and remove it. I would restore the original site survey then (assuming it still worked properly on newer platforms, I haven't checked that code in years).

I removed the original Site Survey page on models that had Wifi Radar because having two features that do the same thing is redundant and would be confusing.

However it seems that Broadcom never bothered to update Wifi Radar (it's their code), it doesn't support the 6 GHz band, and even the 160 MHz support is iffy. So I might eventually give up on Wifi Radar, and remove it. I would restore the original site survey then (assuming it still worked properly on newer platforms, I haven't checked that code in years).
ok, that makes sense. FTR I don't mind the Broadcom version either, but I sort of look at them as a "simple" view (the old one) and "advanced view" (the new one).

Out of curiosity, is the Broadcom version something you added in yourself that isn't in the stock firmware? I've never even looked through the stock version much; I almost immediately flashed the latest Merlin as soon as I plugged in my new ax6k. :p

Out of curiosity, is the Broadcom version something you added in yourself that isn't in the stock firmware?
Asus added it on the ROG models only. I added it to the other non-ROG models as well since it uses the same code that's included in the Broadcom SDK.

I'd still love to have that old tab/link to also get to the old version; especially since the page already exists right there in the software, it's just "hidden". Do you know of a way to add this in? via an addin or something? Seems like a simple "fix", I just don't really know the process to do it myself.
Almost 4 weeks ago, when I made changes to the YazFi JavaScript code to add the new "DHCP Lease" config variables, I ended up writing a helper shell script to make it much easier to swap in & out (from the router's webGUI) the modified YazFi webpages for testing/debugging purposes. Before that script, I also wrote a separate script that would easily mount & unmount the YazFi webpage at any time for testing purposes as well.

I'm sure that with only a few changes this script can be used to create a webGUI tab for the old "Site Survey" webpage that you want to have available on the router's GUI. If you're interested in trying this script, I can easily modify it and make it available so you can play with it and see if it works for you.

I'm sure that with only a few changes this script can be used to create a webGUI tab for the old "Site Survey" webpage that you want to have available on the router's GUI.

Well, I went ahead and made the required changes since I was curious to try it for myself on my RT-AC86U router.

Here is a screenshot of the "Site Survey" webpage tab:

RT-AC8U_SiteSurveyTab.jpg

I decided to put the "Site Survey" tab in the "Tools" section since it's got lots of space. I know you have the newer GT-AX6000 router, but I think the script should work just the same since the code is based on YazFi script (credit to @Jack Yaz here).

I'm going to put the revised script on PasteBin eventually, but first I'd like to add some setup checking & handling, output some messages if things don't go as intended, and show usage description so that it's more user-friendly.

Almost 4 weeks ago, when I made changes to the YazFi JavaScript code to add the new "DHCP Lease" config variables, I ended up writing a helper shell script to make it much easier to swap in & out (from the router's webGUI) the modified YazFi webpages for testing/debugging purposes. Before that script, I also wrote a separate script that would easily mount & unmount the YazFi webpage at any time for testing purposes as well.

I'm sure that with only a few changes this script can be used to create a webGUI tab for the old "Site Survey" webpage that you want to have available on the router's GUI. If you're interested in trying this script, I can easily modify it and make it available so you can play with it and see if it works for you.
I'd love to have a look at it!

I'd love to have a look at it!
OK, you can download the shell script from PasteBin:
Code:
curl -kLSs --retry 3 --retry-delay 5 --retry-connrefused pastebin.com/raw/56rUA6KF | tr -d '\r' > /jffs/scripts/SetupSiteSurveyWebPage.sh
chmod 755 /jffs/scripts/SetupSiteSurveyWebPage.sh

Run the script without arguments to get help info:
Bash:
/jffs/scripts$ ./SetupSiteSurveyWebPage.sh
-----------------------------------------------
SYNTAX:

./SetupSiteSurveyWebPage.sh [ -help | -add | -remove ]

EXAMPLE CALLS:

To get this usage & syntax description:
   ./SetupSiteSurveyWebPage.sh -help

To add the webpage tab for [Advanced_Wireless_Survey.asp]:
   ./SetupSiteSurveyWebPage.sh -add

To remove the webpage tab for [Advanced_Wireless_Survey.asp].
   ./SetupSiteSurveyWebPage.sh -remove

The "Site Survey" webpage tab is added in the "Tools" section of the webGUI.

HTH.

OK, you can download the shell script from PasteBin:
Code:
curl -kLSs --retry 3 --retry-delay 5 --retry-connrefused pastebin.com/raw/56rUA6KF | tr -d '\r' > /jffs/scripts/SetupSiteSurveyWebPage.sh
chmod 755 /jffs/scripts/SetupSiteSurveyWebPage.sh

Run the script without arguments to get help info:
Bash:
/jffs/scripts$ ./SetupSiteSurveyWebPage.sh
SYNTAX:

./SetupSiteSurveyWebPage.sh [ -help | -add | -remove ]

EXAMPLE CALLS:

To get this usage & syntax description:
   ./SetupSiteSurveyWebPage.sh -help

To add the webpage tab for [Advanced_Wireless_Survey.asp]:
   ./SetupSiteSurveyWebPage.sh -add

To remove the webpage tab for [Advanced_Wireless_Survey.asp].
   ./SetupSiteSurveyWebPage.sh -remove

The "Site Survey" webpage tab is added in the "Tools" section of the webGUI.

HTH.
Worked perfect, TY!

Just wondering, how come it uses for example, "user5.asp" instead of the actual filename "Advanced_Wireless_Survey.asp"?

Worked perfect, TY!
Glad that it worked well and as intended.

Just wondering, how come it uses for example, "user5.asp" instead of the actual filename "Advanced_Wireless_Survey.asp"?
The reason is that the setup script is using the same mechanism used by YazFi to attach the webpage tab as an "add-on" to the router's webGUI. This method takes one of the maximum 20 "slots" available to add a webpage, so the caveat is that if/when you have exhausted the 20 available slots by installing actual add-ons with webGUI support, there won't be any room left anymore, and the setup script will error out saying that it can't add the "Site Survey" webpage.