What's new

Missing Traffic Data

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BlueRidgePro

New Around Here
I have an Asus RT-AC66U_B1 router and like to keep track of my monthly traffic. Accessing the last month of data, I find a 13 day period where zero traffic was recorded. Nothing! Days before and after the missing period look OK. I have not logged in to the router in a month, so no settings could have been changed. I've never seen this problem before and have been using the traffic monitor for a year or more.

Any ideas on why it missed logging the traffic?

Are you saving the traffic to an USB thumb drive? Possible the drive is going bad.

Are you saving the traffic to an USB thumb drive? Possible the drive is going bad.

No thumb drive. Saving on the router,

Odd report for June. First few days look fine. Then 13 days of zero traffic. Than back to looking OK.

Speaking of thumb drives, how much traffic history can be stored on the router? Should I move history to a thumb drive? How do I do that?

The file size for traffic stats is miniscule so probably years of traffic. The advantage of saving on an USB drive is that the data will survive a reboot or reset of the router.

To save it on an USB drive plug the thumb drive in, then go to tools, other settings and then specify a custom location which will be on your thumb drive, then check the button to create location, finally click apply at bottom of page.

A screen shot of my settings are attached. I have already created the file so the create/reset button isn't checked.

Attachments

• screenshotTools.png
    screenshotTools.png
    18.7 KB · Views: 400
Stock firmware does not save traffic data, it gets wiped out every reboots. There's also no monthly traffic data, only daily.

I use the latest vendor firmware for the Asus RT-AC66U_B1. It does report monthly traffic and breaks it down by device or application. That reporting meets my simple needs. However, if data gets wiped out that's obviously not good. Hard to understand why Asus would let this happen, but it does explain my days of missing data. Looking back over the months of traffic totals that I've saved, I do see significant variations that could be due to data loss. So much for tracking usage... Thanks for the info.

I use the latest vendor firmware for the Asus RT-AC66U_B1. It does report monthly traffic and breaks it down by device or application.

Ok, you're referring to Traffic Analyzer then, which is a different feature than what Captain and I were thinking about.

That database is stored in the /jffs/ partition, which lies within the flash. Maybe the database got corrupted. To start with a fresh new database:

1) Disable Traffic Analyzer
2) Over SSH, run the following command:

Code:
rm /jffs/.sys/TrafficAnalyzer/TrafficAnalyzer.db

3) Restart Traffic Analyzer

One issue I've seen over time is that the database will sometime fail to get cleaned up (it should normally get truncated to a maximum of 30 MB), until the /jffs partition eventually fills up.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!