What's new

Mixing 386/388 nodes

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

sativa

Occasional Visitor
I am very happy with my network, where AX86 is lead router and 4 nodes (1 x AX88, 1 x AX58, and 2 x AX56).

The latter nodes (AX56) are on the older 386 firmware, and it seems the 388 firmware is not supported. The other 3 newer routers are updated and running the 388 firmware.

I am wondering if this creates any security implications? Or is security simply linked to the lead router. If it is relevant, one of the AX56 is connected by ethernet, the other AX56 via wireless.

Thanks for your help

I am very happy with my network, where AX86 is lead router and 4 nodes (1 x AX88, 1 x AX58, and 2 x AX56).

The latter nodes (AX56) are on the older 386 firmware, and it seems the 388 firmware is not supported. The other 3 newer routers are updated and running the 388 firmware.

I am wondering if this creates any security implications? Or is security simply linked to the lead router. If it is relevant, one of the AX56 is connected by ethernet, the other AX56 via wireless.

Thanks for your help
The main router does the internet security. The AX nodes will do the WIFI security just fine. If you use just WPA2-PERSONAL they will cruise forever. There is a chance that WPA3-PERSONAL could get an upgrade.

Thanks for your help

The AiMesh router/root node secures your WAN connection.

Five APs seems like a lot of WiFi.

OE

Looks like RT-AX56U will eventually receive the 388 firmware, since this router is supported by Merlin's 388.1 version.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!