What's new

AX86U firmware version 3.0.0.4.388.23285 outgoing email fails

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Kurt

New Around Here
I recently updated my ASUS AX86U router to firmware version 3.0.0.4.388.23285. After doing so sending email with my POP email client, Windows Live Mail (WLM), fails. Receiving email works fine. This anomaly only started after installing firmware 23285. I know it’s a problem in the router firmware because I attached my PC directly to the modem (bypassing the router) and sending emails works fine.

I have done a factory reset with ASUS’ support help reloading firmware 23285 and the problem persists. After this I have tried going back to the previous firmware 3.0.0.4.388.22525 (where the problem did not exist) but the problem still persists.

I have seen this exact scenario when I tried to run a VPN on my PC. After turning the VPN off I am again able to send emails from the client. I am not running any VPN currently.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Kurt

Have you tried a hard factory reset then manual configuration? Do not import or load a previously saved router CFG file.

Edit: do you have another computer connected to that router that you can test with to see if the issue occurs with a different computer?

I recently updated my ASUS AX86U router to firmware version 3.0.0.4.388.23285. After doing so sending email with my POP email client, Windows Live Mail (WLM), fails. Receiving email works fine. This anomaly only started after installing firmware 23285. I know it’s a problem in the router firmware because I attached my PC directly to the modem (bypassing the router) and sending emails works fine.

I have done a factory reset with ASUS’ support help reloading firmware 23285 and the problem persists. After this I have tried going back to the previous firmware 3.0.0.4.388.22525 (where the problem did not exist) but the problem still persists.

I have seen this exact scenario when I tried to run a VPN on my PC. After turning the VPN off I am again able to send emails from the client. I am not running any VPN currently.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Kurt
WLM seems to be a problem for many. Using another mail client may be the best answer (and more secure, too).

However, are you using AiProtect? If so turn it off and try the WLM. Also change your default DNS servers to something like Quad9 or Cloudflare (1.1.1.2 and 1.0.0.2 recommended). If you are using IPV6 turn that off.
A hard factory reset and manual configure may be in order.

Have you tried a hard factory reset then manual configuration? Do not import or load a previously saved router CFG file.

Edit: do you have another computer connected to that router that you can test with to see if the issue occurs with a different computer?
A Factory reset was attempted with manual configuration. The most recent firmware was activated upon reset and sending emails still failed. I then loaded the previous firmware version (that did not have the failure) and still couldn't send emails. I subsequently deinstalled by Wi-Fi 6 ASUS router ( RT-AX86U)and installed my Wi-Fi 5 ASUS router (RT-AC66U) and then I could send emails.
Kurt

Just to clarify did you perform a hard factory reset using the method explained here and not a "factory reset" through the router GUI? If you performed a reset through the router GUI, try a hard factory reset instead as a troubleshooting step.
I then loaded the previous firmware version (that did not have the failure) and still couldn't send emails.
As a troubleshooting step; did you perform a hard factory reset then manual reconfiguration after downgrading the firmware?

Just to clarify did you perform a hard factory reset using the method explained here and not a "factory reset" through the router GUI? If you performed a reset through the router GUI, try a hard factory reset instead as a troubleshooting step.

As a troubleshooting step; did you perform a hard factory reset then manual reconfiguration after downgrading the firmware?
I initially did a factory reset, while talking to ASUS support, using the reset button on the router. After coming to the GUI login screen, we tested the mail client send and it failed. Then support had me restore the configuration file that was previously saved, and we tried the send again, which failed. At this point support elevated the call which has resulted in numerous emails from ASUS asking for documentation and no results. While waiting for ASUS response I did a reset from the GUI and a manual configuration. No configuration restore. This failed but I was running the current firmware version (23285) that caused the failure in the first place. I then tried going back to the previous version of the firmware but that didn't resolve the problem either. I have not tried the reset version (#2) that you linked to. Are these different reset methods really different as far as what data is cleared in the router?

Kurt

Are these different reset methods really different as far as what data is cleared in the router?
Asus themselves explains their router reset methods.
[Wireless Router] How to reset the router to factory default setting?
[Wireless Router] When Standard Reset Isn’t Working: Hard Factory Reset - Models list
There are three basic reset methods (there may be others).
  • Reset the router through the WEB GUI.
  • Reset the router through the RESET button on router.
  • Hard Factory Reset method for one's router.
How Asus explains the hard factory reset like this: "Hard Factory Reset could be an alternative solution when the standard reset procedure fails to restore your router to factory default."

Sometimes when weird things are happening with the router, its best to just jump to doing a hard factory reset and manually reconfiguring without loading a previously saved router configuration file. Also disconnect any attached USB hard drives prior to performing any sort of reset and don't reconnect that USB hard drive until the router is reconfigured post reset and is operating as expected.

This sounds like your current WAN IP address has been blacklisted on your POP3 mail server. The firmware upgrade was coincidental. That would also explain why it still doesn't work when you go back to the previous firmware or use a VPN, but does work with a different router.

Using your PC (the one that worked when directly connected to the modem) log into the GUI and go to WAN - Internet Connection > MAC Address. Click on the MAC Clone button and apply that change. After the change completes, power off the modem and the router. Then power on the modem and wait a couple of minutes for it to sync up. Then power on the router. You should now have a different WAN IP address that hopefully isn't blacklisted.

This sounds like your current WAN IP address has been blacklisted on your POP3 mail server.

This is the most likely issue. Just reminded me I had the same problem some years ago.

Asus themselves explains their router reset methods.
[Wireless Router] How to reset the router to factory default setting?
[Wireless Router] When Standard Reset Isn’t Working: Hard Factory Reset - Models list
There are three basic reset methods (there may be others).
  • Reset the router through the WEB GUI.
  • Reset the router through the RESET button on router.
  • Hard Factory Reset method for one's router.
How Asus explains the hard factory reset like this: "Hard Factory Reset could be an alternative solution when the standard reset procedure fails to restore your router to factory default."

Sometimes when weird things are happening with the router, its best to just jump to doing a hard factory reset and manually reconfiguring without loading a previously saved router configuration file. Also disconnect any attached USB hard drives prior to performing any sort of reset and don't reconnect that USB hard drive until the router is reconfigured post reset and is operating as expected.
This morning I disconnected my ASUS Wi-Fi 5 router (it worked with the mail client) and connected my ASUS Wi-Fi 6 router to perform the hard reset. After connecting the router, I powered off and on the modem and made sure the router was connected to the Internet and running the current firmware (23285). I then tried the send with my mail client. It worked perfectly. I did not do a hard reset. I don't understand why it works now but another poster (@ColinTaylor) said that sometimes a WAN IP address can be blocked by the POP3 server. This would explain why it works now since I did power off/on the modem. Either way, thanks for the help and educating me on the reset methods of the router.

This sounds like your current WAN IP address has been blacklisted on your POP3 mail server. The firmware upgrade was coincidental. That would also explain why it still doesn't work when you go back to the previous firmware or use a VPN, but does work with a different router.

Using your PC (the one that worked when directly connected to the modem) log into the GUI and go to WAN - Internet Connection > MAC Address. Click on the MAC Clone button and apply that change. After the change completes, power off the modem and the router. Then power on the modem and wait a couple of minutes for it to sync up. Then power on the router. You should now have a different WAN IP address that hopefully isn't blacklisted.
This morning I reconnected my failing router to do a hard reset. In doing so I powered off/on the modem. After I was able to connect to the Internet I did a test with my mail client and the send worked. I did not do the MAC clone procedure you recommended. I couldn't explain why it works now but your explanation does make sense. Maybe I did get a new WAN IP address. Either way thanks for the suggestion.

Kurt

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!