What's new

MoCA 2.0 Actiontech ECB6000

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I bought a couple of ECB6200 adapters to replace my ECB2500C adapters. When I first replaced the ECB2500Cs with the ECB6200s I got 22MBps transferring a 3.1GB file to another system. I have a Verizon-branded Westell 9100EM in my wife's sewing room acting as a MoCA bridge to her TiVo so I tried unplugging it even though it shouldn't matter, but saw no improvement in transfer speed. I found this thread and downloaded and installed the firmware update. Running the same tests I'm getting 99MBps transferring the file. I also reconnected the 9100EM and didn't see a drop in transfer speed.

I just wish we could assign IPs to the ECB6200s so we could access the menus. Maybe that will come in a later firmware update.

Has anyone had any issues when connecting the adapter to their router, the internet connection to other devices also connected to the router become disabled? In my setup, the adapter is connected to my router along with my PC. But once I connect the adapter, it seems to hijack the connection and my PC is no longer connected to the internet. As soon as I disconnect the power to the adapter, or the ethernet cable, the connection to the PC is restored. Can't seem to figure it out...

Hmm, according the review that was just posted, even flashed with the latest firmaware from page 7 of this thread, the devices still drop their speeds after a while.

Can any of you confirm these findings cause I'm really itchy to purchase these adapters..

Thanks

On the new firmware for approx. 4 weeks with no speed reduction. From my perspective, the ecb6200 with the new firmware is rock solid.

I have been on the new firmware for nearly four weeks, and there have been no drops in speed.

Hmm, according the review that was just posted, even flashed with the latest firmaware from page 7 of this thread, the devices still drop their speeds after a while.

Can any of you confirm these findings cause I'm really itchy to purchase these adapters..

Thanks
Hi,
Where is this review that just posted?
My adapters have been stable for 5 days....

Has Actiontech acknowledged that they can reproduce the problem (and thusly, would correct it)?

meanwhile... a simple wall outlet timer on the power for one end - turn off/on once a day, briefly.

Has Actiontech acknowledged that they can reproduce the problem (and thusly, would correct it)?

meanwhile... a simple wall outlet timer on the power for one end - turn off/on once a day, briefly.

I am in contact with Actiontec support and will report back any new findings as I receive them!

changed back to the ecb6200s, updated the firmware, has been stable for the past 3 days, will check speed after a week to compare as well

certainly much better now, nice that the management interface is available as well

can anyone comment on the Interoperability of the Actiontec 1.1 devices and the Actiontec 2.0 devices? Anyone have them both running on their network>?

can anyone comment on the Interoperability of the Actiontec 1.1 devices and the Actiontec 2.0 devices? Anyone have them both running on their network>?
Hi,
I have done quite a bit of testing because I was told by both Actiontec Support and a MoCA Alliance source that on a MoCA 2.0 setup that simply adding a MoCA 1.1 device would drop the entire MoCA setup to the 1.1 speeds. THIS IS COMPLETELY FALSE! If the traffic is between 2 MoCA 2.0 legs or devices connected to the MoCA 2.0 adapters, they will continue to function at the MoCA 2.0 speeds even with MoCA 1.1 devices on the same network. If the traffic is between a device on a MoCA 2.0 leg and another device on a MoCA 1.1 leg the speed does use the lower MoCA 1.1 which is totally understandable and predictable. This is similar to using a fast Ethernet device on a Gigabit network, traffic between 2 gigabit devices is not effected by simply connecting a fast Ethernet device to your gigabit network, the speed is determined by who the traffic is between.
Although I had information that MoCA 2.0 and MoCA 1.0 devices were not compatible, I also tried connecting an old Netgear MCA1001v1 MoCA 1.0 adapter to the mixed network and it brought the entire MoCA network down. I had to disconnect it and reboot all of the adapters to get things working again. That was enough testing of the MoCA 2.0 and MoCA 1.0 issue for me.
I used a pair of both the Bonded adapters and the standard MoCA 2.0 Actiontec adapters in my testing.

Hi,
I have done quite a bit of testing because I was told by both Actiontec Support and a MoCA Alliance source that on a MoCA 2.0 setup that simply adding a MoCA 1.1 device would drop the entire MoCA setup to the 1.1 speeds. THIS IS COMPLETELY FALSE! If the traffic is between 2 MoCA 2.0 legs or devices connected to the MoCA 2.0 adapters, they will continue to function at the MoCA 2.0 speeds even with MoCA 1.1 devices on the same network. If the traffic is between a device on a MoCA 2.0 leg and another device on a MoCA 1.1 leg the speed does use the lower MoCA 1.1 which is totally understandable and predictable. This is similar to using a fast Ethernet device on a Gigabit network, traffic between 2 gigabit devices is not effected by simply connecting a fast Ethernet device to your gigabit network, the speed is determined by who the traffic is between.
Although I had information that MoCA 2.0 and MoCA 1.0 devices were not compatible, I also tried connecting an old Netgear MCA1001v1 MoCA 1.0 adapter to the mixed network and it brought the entire MoCA network down. I had to disconnect it and reboot all of the adapters to get things working again. That was enough testing of the MoCA 2.0 and MoCA 1.0 issue for me.
I used a pair of both the Bonded adapters and the standard MoCA 2.0 Actiontec adapters in my testing.

So what your describing is how I understood it to work as well. However, from my own testing it doesn't appear to be the case. I have a cable modem with moca 1.1 and two other nodes with the 6200 adapters. They all communicate at moca 1.1 speeds. As soon as I disconnect my cable modem with moca 1.1, communication increases between the moca 2.0 nodes to moca 2.0 speeds. Now that being said, at 1.1 speed my moca 2.0 adapters are still faster than my old moca 1.1 nodes. I attribute this to the Ethernet port going from 100 to 1000 allowing the adapter to fully utilize the moca 1.1 bandwidth. Still I am dissapointed that my moca 2.0 devices aren't communicating at moca 2.0 speed with the moca 1.1 modem present. Did you do something specific to get this working? The moca alliance page specifically has a statement that backs up your test, but I can't seem to get it to work. Wondering if its a limitation with these adapters or firmware.

Currently, I am using a pair of ECB6200 adapters (1 gbps) (with the upgraded firmware) on the same coax lines as a bunch of old DirecTV DECA-2 adapters (model DCA2PR0-01) (100 mbps). To be clear, the ECB6200s communicate directly with each other and only with each other, as they (at least as they are setup by default) are not able to communicate with the DECA adapters. To make it so all devices can communicate with each other, I simply connect 1 ECB6200 and 1 DECA adapter to my switch (or router) to bridge the 2 "networks" (MOCA and DECA).

Also, I had a pair of ECB6200 adapters and a pair of ACTIONTEC Home Theater Coax Network Adapters (ECB3500T01) (MOCA 1.1) that communicated directly with each other with no problems. The speeds between a ECB6200 and a ECB3500 were about 150-170 mbps, which was as fast as the ECB3500 could go. I got rid of the ECB3500 adapters shortly after getting the ECB6200s.
Interesting note on this setup though: When I had these 4 previously mentioned adapters and the DECA adapters hooked up on the same coax lines, when the ECB3500 adapters first power on, they would default to connecting to the ECB6200 "network". But, if I disconnected the ECB6200s, the ECB3500s would connect to the DECA adapters.

The ECB3500 are able to operate in these frequency bands: Coax/MoCA D band-1150-1625MHz; Coax/ MoCA E band-500-600MHz.
The DECA adapters operate in 450-650mhz (MOCA E Band).
I am not certain about which bands the ECB6200s operate in. When I was on the settings page upgrading the firmware, I think I saw that they operate on the 'MOCA D extended' band by default, and there were options for several other bands/frequencies. However, I have not tested changing this setting yet.

Further, I, unfortunately, found that the ECB6200s with default settings on the "shipped" firmware would break their communication link when transferring from PC1 -> ECB6200 -> ECB6200 -> switch -> DECA -> DECA -> PC2. This action would break the link between only the ECB6200 adapters for about 30 seconds, and then they would re-connect and complete the transfer. The DECA adapters were unaffected. However, once I updated the firmware on the ECB6200s, this no longer happens!

Also, after the firmware upgrade, my ECB6200s no longer slow down in one direction after a few hours of being powered on. So, that firmware upgrade fixed at least 2 issues and appears to allow some settings to be changed on the adapters.

So what your describing is how I understood it to work as well. However, from my own testing it doesn't appear to be the case. I have a cable modem with moca 1.1 and two other nodes with the 6200 adapters. They all communicate at moca 1.1 speeds. As soon as I disconnect my cable modem with moca 1.1, communication increases between the moca 2.0 nodes to moca 2.0 speeds. Now that being said, at 1.1 speed my moca 2.0 adapters are still faster than my old moca 1.1 nodes. I attribute this to the Ethernet port going from 100 to 1000 allowing the adapter to fully utilize the moca 1.1 bandwidth. Still I am dissapointed that my moca 2.0 devices aren't communicating at moca 2.0 speed with the moca 1.1 modem present. Did you do something specific to get this working? The moca alliance page specifically has a statement that backs up your test, but I can't seem to get it to work. Wondering if its a limitation with these adapters or firmware.
Hi,
It sounds like you might be using either an older Actiontec or the Motorola Gateway with MoCA on your setup. I am not sure about how your MoCA traffic gets routed with that kind of setup, from what I thought I understood traffic between MoCA legs goes direct and is not supposed to be routed through other MoCA devices but your findings suggest that is what is happening. What I tested was with one of the MoCA 2.0 Bonded adapters (updated firmware) connected to my router via ethernet and the other MoCA 2.0 and 1.1 adapters at remote locations. I get the full MoCA 2.0 speeds in that configuration as long as the traffic was between the 2 MoCA 2.0 legs. I am on Fios, but ran Ethernet from the ONT and use my own Dlink router. I could possibly retest with an Actiontec or Greenwave G1100 (MoCA 2.0) but this messes with my network and it's a PITA to get everything back up and running right.
One last question, are you sure you are testing the speed on just the 2 MoCA 2.0 legs? I am pretty certain the Gateways with MoCA can be disabled but then you would have to use up one of your MoCA 2.0 adapters to replace it. Anyway, these are my thoughts.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!