What's new

Moca Lan IP configuration

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

MisterEdF

New Around Here
My 2 Moca device network works great (2 x Actiontec 7250's) but I have a question regarding IP addresses being generated to devices connected off the 7250's.

I like to setup my router to assign specific IP's to MAC addresses of all my devices. After adding the 2x ECB7250's it seems they are assigning their own IP to my devices attached off of them. My network is 10.0.0.xxx and the devices are getting 10.0.0.xxx but not the ones I am assigning in the router no matter what I try. I went into the Moca setup but wasn't sure what if anything i canselect under DHCP to allow ME to assign the IP's I want to the devices connected to the 7250's. Hoping you can point me to the correct config of the 7250's to accomplish this.

Thank you for any help that you all can provide.

the modems are basically transparent to your router.
Are your "device" set to get DHCP AUTO address ?
They would show up in your DHCP address leased range entry.

the modems are basically transparent to your router.
Are your "device" set to get DHCP AUTO address ?
They would show up in your DHCP address leased range entry.

Yes, everything, including what is attached off the Moca adapters, are getting IP's within the leased range which is the full .2 to .254 range. While I am not very familiar with Moca I am pretty knowledgeable in networking so I am familiar with all the basics of DHCP etc. They are NOT getting the IP addresses I assigned to them in "Reserve IP by MAC" in my router's DHCP settings. Anything that is NOT connected to the Moca box is.

Example, I assigned my Apple TV MAC address which is connected to one of the Moca adapters to IP 10.0.0.150 and it gets .43. No matter how many times I remove it, reboot it, reboot the adapters and/or reboot the router it is not getting the IP I have assigned to it on the router. As soon as I connect it to either my switch that is directly off the router or by WiFi it immediately gets the addresses I had assigned to it in the router MAC table. The Moca adapters themselves are getting IP's from my 10.0.0.xxx as they show up in my router NAT table with those IP's.

Edit: My router is actually a gateway, it's a Motorola MG8725 which has the router built in.

Hopefully that made it clearer as to what my issue it.

you need to set the DHCP lease range to not include the hard assigned IP addresses as a start. You may have to hard code the address in the apple device under manual settings for that network. Any chance the apple device is randomizing mac address for privacy ?
i have Actiontec 6200s between my Cisco RV325 and the users. No issues with manual IP address assignment to the devices across the moca network. i did not touch the settings in the moca modems.

another question - are the devices possibly connecting over wifi instead of the lan cable ?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!