What's new

[Mostly Solved] Huge bufferbloat

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

With those numbers, I suspect you are on ADSL, not ADSL2+. Maybe check with your ISP if you are on a Fastpath connection, as otherwise the DSL part will introduce some latency - nothing you can do about.

I suspect a noisy phone line with a lot of errors on ADSL connection.

With those numbers, I suspect you are on ADSL, not ADSL2+. Maybe check with your ISP if you are on a Fastpath connection, as otherwise the DSL part will introduce some latency - nothing you can do about.
What do you mean by " Fastpath connection, as otherwise the DSL part will introduce some latency "

Would you be able to contact your ISP and try higher "sample" speeds say at 25/10 mbps to see if this would make a difference? Tell them about the problem and see if they can give free trial for an upgrade and see if the problems persist, it might be that the cabling needs replacing leading into house.
They only offer one plan which is the one we got, but they do have a small business plan which the speed aren't much different its 7/0.7

It’s a DSL filter, not a splitter.
You sure? It has three connections one is for phone one is for line and one is for internet. Saying it's a splitter made more sense for me my bad.

Last edited:
You may actually have two problems. Contact the ISP again and do not say anything about bufferbloat or what you got from the previous forums. I have a feeling you said the word bufferbloat (or similar) and they tried to get you off the phone. Not your fault, they really don't want to pay for a truck roll.

and when you call again don't mention anything other than websites not loading, not getting the speed you're paying for, and constant ping spikes sometimes up to 6 seconds. Remain firm and don't let them talk you out of it until they can demonstrate with you that everything is satisfactory. You may even have to hang up and speak to a different agent.

After that is all clear then you should tackle Asus-Merlin QOS. If you do it the other way you're just fighting uphill.

You may actually have two problems. Contact the ISP again and do not say anything about bufferbloat or what you got from the previous forums. I have a feeling you said the word bufferbloat (or similar) and they tried to get you off the phone. Not your fault, they really don't want to pay for a truck roll.

and when you call again don't mention anything other than websites not loading, not getting the speed you're paying for, and constant ping spikes sometimes up to 6 seconds. Remain firm and don't let them talk you out of it until they can demonstrate with you that everything is satisfactory. You may even have to hang up and speak to a different agent.

After that is all clear then you should tackle Asus-Merlin QOS. If you do it the other way you're just fighting uphill.
Sorry if it sounds stupid but what do you mean by " they can demonstrate with you that everything is satisfactory "

Are you sure you don't have SPAM or virus on 1 of your machines which could be causing issues?
Yes I'm am very positive, the connection issue is not only happening on my PC, it happens to all devices.

I think they can see your modem on their screen while talking with you, and if your signals/noise are within spec.

So, here is how I think it will go:
They will ask you to remove the AC68U and connect your laptop/PC/game system directly to the modem.
They will try to say everything they can to prevent a truck roll which they are instructed to do.

Stay on the phone with them and visit the same websites you have a problem with. They might say those websites are just busy - in which case you can ask them for some websites to test. Have your laptop or PC or game system ready so you can let them know if anything is out of the ordinary. Be polite but prepared to call back and speak to another person.

They will eventually roll a truck if you are persistent but you have to stay on top of it.

I think they can see your modem on their screen while talking with you, and if your signals/noise are within spec.

So, here is how I think it will go:
They will ask you to remove the AC68U and connect your laptop/PC/game system directly to the modem.
They will try to say everything they can to prevent a truck roll which they are instructed to do.

Stay on the phone with them and visit the same websites you have a problem with. They might say those websites are just busy - in which case you can ask them for some websites to test. Have your laptop or PC or game system ready so you can let them know if anything is out of the ordinary. Be polite but prepared to call back and speak to another person.

They will eventually roll a truck if you are persistent but you have to stay on top of it.
Thanks I will try that.

You sure? It has three connections one is for phone one is for line and one is for internet.

Yes, this is what typical DSL filter looks like. The issues you describe have nothing to do with the router, QoS or modem. Don't waste money on changing modems, return the ASUS one. A cheap modem/router for $20 like popular with 3rd party ISPs TP-Link TD-8816 works perfectly fine on Bell lines. Your low connection speeds indicate far physical location from DSLAM (the other modem on the other end of the line), in other words very long copper line. Delays in seconds are usually indication of bad quality line; the modem's error correction logic is struggling and there are too many re-send packets. You can see what is going on in modem's GUI. There is no need to play cat and mouse with your ISP. Just tell them it's not working properly, ask them to fix it.

Any other Internet connection possibilities in your area, different than ADSL?

I was using ADSL2+ line years ago, but my copper line is about 100m only to the first Bell box, connected to their network with optical cable. I was getting 19.7/0.95 on a 20/1 plan with this very same TD-8816 modem, rock steady holding the connection forever. Then I give it to a friend of mine and he couldn't reach even 4/0.4 due to few kilometers long copper line to his place. And he had re-connections every 5min, totally unusable. So, the modems do the same thing in the same way. The line quality is the limitation.

Yes, this is what typical DSL filter looks like. The issues you describe have nothing to do with the router, QoS or modem. Don't waste money on changing modems, return the ASUS one. A cheap modem/router for $20 like popular with 3rd party ISPs TP-Link TD-8816 works perfectly fine on Bell lines. Your low connection speeds indicate far physical location from DSLAM (the other modem on the other end of the line), in other words very long copper line. Delays in seconds are usually indication of bad quality line; the modem's error correction logic is struggling and there are too many re-send packets. You can see what is going on in modem's GUI. There is no need to play cat and mouse with your ISP. Just tell them it's not working properly, ask them to fix it.

Any other Internet connection possibilities in your area, different than ADSL?

I was using ADSL2+ line years ago, but my copper line is about 100m only to the first Bell box, connected to their network with optical cable. I was getting 19.7/0.95 on a 20/1 plan with this very same TD-8816 modem, rock steady holding the connection forever. Then I give it to a friend of mine and he couldn't reach even 4/0.4 due to few kilometers long copper line to his place. And he had re-connections every 5min, totally unusable. So, the modems do the same thing in the same way. The line quality is the limitation.
They say there is nothing wrong with my internet, their solution to the internet downnes when downloading/uploading is by limiting the speed of user which does not fix it, bell is the only provider here unless you want to go satellite but apparently is not good for gaming plus its data capped. On my modem I don't see any Infos besides sync speed. I don't know what else to do I'm running out of ideas because like heck this is very annoying and frustrating. I am getting the speed I'm paying for btw.

What happens if you run Speedtest like 10 times in a row, does it go smooth with >6Mbps or has significant ups and downs? No other options in your area is bad news. What other Internet speeds MTS offers in your area? Is this the best they can do?

What happens if you run Speedtest like 10 times in a row, does it go smooth with >6Mbps or has significant ups and downs? No other options in your area is bad news. What other Internet speeds MTS offers in your area? Is this the best they can do?
If i run speed test multiple times, ping goes high and sometimes site wont load and say no connection after 10sec its back to normal, speeds are fine but sometimes speeds are lower but then back to normal. Bell has a small business package 7/0.7 which we may get its the same price we pay currently for 5/0.5

If i run speed test multiple times, ping goes high and sometimes site wont load and say no connection after 10sec its back to normal, speeds are fine but sometimes speeds are lower but then back to normal. Bell has a small business package 7/0.7 which we may get its the same price we pay currently for 5/0.5
Idk if this will help anyone http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest/59862755

It's a guessing game without Line Stats information, but if a single client is maxing out the line, then the download will hit the maximum possible and stay there. If you see significant slowdowns and pauses, the modem is re-sending or re-connecting due to unstable connection. This is what I know from experience even without looking at Line Stats.

It's a guessing game without Line Stats information, but if a single client is maxing out the line, then the download will hit the maximum possible and stay there. If you see significant slowdowns and pauses, the modem is re-sending or re-connecting due to unstable connection. This is what I know from experience even without looking at Line Stats.
How do i fix this? because limiting the bandwidth does not seem to do anything

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!