What's new

[Mostly Solved] Huge bufferbloat

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Is there a chance to request a Bell technician visit and show him what the problem actually is?
One is coming tomorrow but I highly doubt he is going to do anything as I've requested one last year because of this problem all he did was did a speed test and said "everything looks fine to me"

Sent from my SM-A505W using Tapatalk

One is coming tomorrow

OK, don't confront the guy, he's probably a Bell contractor. Connect your PC wired to the Bell modem/router in router mode, show him in a friendly manner what is happening. He is familiar with the ares you live in, he knows what service other customers around get, may give you some ideas how to proceed. Sometimes technicians share a bit more information Bell likes them to share with the customers.

“You catch more flies with honey” is a wonderful tack to take.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This ^ is an excellent question. Bell MTS indicates Maritimes to me, fellow Canadians...doesn't teksavvy or start.ca offer service over pretty much ANY Bell line in Canada.

TPIA wouldn't help with his performance issues - quite the opposite, since TPIA get crap service from incumbents when opening tickets.

I know only too well, being a Teksavvy wholesaler myself... Getting Bell to resolve issues is like throwing darts at a wall and hoping it hits a solution. Had to deal with yet another case last week - Bell were on their FOURTH tech visit in four months for the same customer. Once they fixed it at the CO. Second and third time they couldn't find the issue, so they replaced random pieces. This time, they fixed a broken connection at the post. No need to say that meanwhile, we had a backup connection setup for that customer, still with TSI but going through VTL this time, and are seriously considering moving their primary to VTL, and leaving the backup on Bell.

OK, don't confront the guy, he's probably a Bell contractor. Connect your PC wired to the Bell modem/router in router mode, show him in a friendly manner what is happening. He is familiar with the ares you live in, he knows what service other customers around get, may give you some ideas how to proceed. Sometimes technicians share a bit more information Bell likes them to share with the customers.
Update: He said he cant do much because he cant provide faster internet, I got over 54 CRC interleave errors yet he says there's nothing wrong checked all the cables outside too and said there is nothing wrong, the guy that came over too is so rude too, he lost his temper too a couple of times when I was trying to explain my situation. He said the issue is having to many devices which I highly doubt it's true. Issue is still unresolved but new modem should come in today and see if that fixes anything.

Modem swap may still help. I've seen a lot of DSL issues resolved by replacing the modem. For some reasons DSL modems don't seem to last as long as DOCSIS modems.

TPIA wouldn't help with his performance issues - quite the opposite, since TPIA get crap service from incumbents when opening tickets.

I know only too well, being a Teksavvy wholesaler myself... Getting Bell to resolve issues is like throwing darts at a wall and hoping it hits a solution. Had to deal with yet another case last week - Bell were on their FOURTH tech visit in four months for the same customer. Once they fixed it at the CO. Second and third time they couldn't find the issue, so they replaced random pieces. This time, they fixed a broken connection at the post. No need to say that meanwhile, we had a backup connection setup for that customer, still with TSI but going through VTL this time, and are seriously considering moving their primary to VTL, and leaving the backup on Bell.

Yikes, that’s not in keeping with my experiences, but I’ve not had to deal with these things at the business/corporate level. The attitudes of the techs I’ve had dealings with are that they’re happy to help (be it wiring/installation or problem resolution) given the move to wireless/mobile. But in some places in our country, that’s as good as it gets...and that needs to change.

The attitudes of the techs I’ve had dealings with are that they’re happy to help (be it wiring/installation or problem resolution)

The problem isn't with the techs sent on site, but with the company (Bell/Rogers/etc...) sending them. If you are a Bell customer, they might send a tech on the same day. If you are a TPIA customer, expect a 48 hours delay before they send any tech.

That explains why TSI has to schedule installs, usually next week: Bell has to set it up with their contractor to have a tech to do the work. Highly inefficient. Better would be for TSI to contact the contractor-tech directly, or have their own with access to what needs it. That’s a CRTC thing, so we need to raise the issue with our elected reps.

Modem swap may still help. I've seen a lot of DSL issues resolved by replacing the modem. For some reasons DSL modems don't seem to last as long as DOCSIS modems.
Used my new modem that came is which is the dsl-ac51 there is a huge improvement, would you consider 150ms and less good for upload and download 80ms and less? I hoped for much less than that since most people say it's bad. While I was uploading a file site were still loading fine but before it wasn't. The weird thing is on my pc if I do bufferbloat test it'll give much higher ms than on my phone. Could it be my antivirus blocking few things?

Used my new modem that came is which is the dsl-ac51 there is a huge improvement, would you consider 150ms and less good for upload and download 80ms and less? I hoped for much less than that since most people say it's bad. While I was uploading a file site were still loading fine but before it wasn't. The weird thing is on my pc if I do bufferbloat test it'll give much higher ms than on my phone. Could it be my antivirus blocking few things?

It will depend on numerous factors. I know that interleaved does introduce latency, however I don't remember how much it does (I haven't encountered an interleaved connection in many years). I haven't had to deal with such low speed connections in quite some time as well, my customers tend to have at least a 12 or 16 Mbps ADSL2+/VDSL connection.

Don't put too much faith in bufferbloat tests results, these are only rough estimates, and may not provide overly accurate values. The fact that your upload speed is so low is also another major problem here, as it will be very easy to saturate it even just with ACK packets sent for received trafic while downloading.

One good place to get technical feedback on these types of issues are the forums at DSLReports.

It will depend on numerous factors. I know that interleaved does introduce latency, however I don't remember how much it does (I haven't encountered an interleaved connection in many years). I haven't had to deal with such low speed connections in quite some time as well, my customers tend to have at least a 12 or 16 Mbps ADSL2+/VDSL connection.

Don't put too much faith in bufferbloat tests results, these are only rough estimates, and may not provide overly accurate values. The fact that your upload speed is so low is also another major problem here, as it will be very easy to saturate it even just with ACK packets sent for received trafic while downloading.

One good place to get technical feedback on these types of issues are the forums at DSLReports.
That's where i did my bufferbloat test on but what I did see was on my dsl ac51 it said Downstream is fast path and upstream is interleave, do you know if a modem can change that? So that I could try fast path on upstream.

TPIA's getting the run around from the bigger providers is one of the reason I don't use them.

Right now you can't do anything about it which is sad because the smaller providers tend to provide much better customer service.

And Merlin is right the uploads being so low on that connection is going to cause you many issues.

Last edited:
Alright so I set everything up and I get a stable 60ms and less in upload though download is 120ms. The weird thing is I tried my friends modem and for some odd reason I get 10ms and less for download and upload like what the heck what is it I'm doing wrong here? I see that the db for upload is much less than on my Asus modem on my friends its 5db and on asus its 25+db could it be that causing it?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!