What's new

[Mostly Solved] Huge bufferbloat

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

It's a guessing game without Line Stats information, but if a single client is maxing out the line, then the download will hit the maximum possible and stay there. If you see significant slowdowns and pauses, the modem is re-sending or re-connecting due to unstable connection. This is what I know from experience even without looking at Line Stats.
Did some digging in modem and this is what i found not sure if itll help.
Code:
Wan Status:
Connection Status
Connection    Status
Broadband:    CONNECTED
Internet Service Provider:    CONNECTED

PPP Status
PPP Parameter    Status
User Name:     
PPP Type:    PPPoE
LCP State:    DOWN
IPCP State:    DOWN
Authentication Failures:    0
Session Time:    0 Days, 00H:00M:00S
Packets Sent:     
Packets Received:     

Broadband Status
Broadband Parameter    Status
VPI:    0
VCI:    35
Broadband Mode Setting:    MULTIMODE
Broadband Negotiated Mode:    ADSL2+
Connection Status:    CONNECTED
Downstream Speed:    8063 Kbps
Upstream Speed:    508 Kbps
Retrains:    0
Retrain Timer:    10 Days, 18H:51M:41S
ATM QoS class:    UBR
Near End CRC Errors Interleave:    1
Near End CRC Errors Fastpath :    N/A
Far End CRC Errors Interleave :    0
Far End CRC Errors Fastpath :    N/A
30 Minute Near End CRC Interleave :    0
30 Minute Near End CRC Fastpath :    N/A
30 Minute Far End CRC Interleave :    0
30 Minute Far End CRC Fastpath :    N/A
Near End RS FEC Interleave :    0
Near End RS FEC Fastpath :    N/A
Far End RS FEC Interleave :    0
Far End RS FEC Fastpath :    N/A
30 Minute Near End FEC Interleave :    0
30 Minute Near End FEC Fastpath :    N/A
30 Minute Far End FEC Interleave :    0
30 Minute Far End FEC Fastpath :    N/A
30 Minute Discarded Packets Downstream :    0
30 Minute Discarded Packets Upstream :    0
SNR Downstream :    24 dB
SNR Upstream :    14 dB
Attenuation Downstream :    16 dB
Attenuation Upstream :    5 dB
Power Downstream    16.2 dBm
Power Upstream    12.3 dBm

Connection Status:
Connection Status
Connection
Status
Broadband:
CONNECTED
Internet Service Provider (ISP):
CONNECTED

Modem Status
Modem Parameter
Status
Firmware Version:
NCS01-1.0.14
Model Number:
GT784WN
Serial Number:
CRHA5150902392
WAN MAC Address:
N/A
Downstream Rate:
8063Kbps
Upstream Rate:
508Kbps
PPP User Name:
N/A
ISP Protocol
Transparent Bridging
Encapsulation:
Modem IP Address:
N/A
DNS Address #1:
N/A
DNS Address #2:
N/A

Line looks good, actually. As per Downstream Attenuation value you must be about 1.2km away from the exchange, not that far. SNR values look good also. You are probably on Interleave mode, it allows better error correction in exchange of higher pings and latency, but nothing even close to your tests. It's in milliseconds, not in seconds. MTS provided device is a modem/router. Do you get the same results with it in router mode and with a wired client?

the asus AC -68 u is a modem not a router why are you using two modems

What are you talking about , An RT-AC68U is a modem not a router?

Total nonsense.

The OP states he is using a bridged device to his ASUS router.

Line looks good, actually. As per Downstream Attenuation value you must be about 1.2km away from the exchange, not that far. SNR values look good also. You are probably on Interleave mode, it allows better error correction in exchange of higher pings and latency, but nothing even close to your tests. It's in milliseconds, not in seconds. MTS provided device is a modem/router. Do you get the same results with it in router mode and with a wired client?
I'll try that out and I'll come back with results

Yeah same issue, Seems to be always upload mostly its getting very annoying and frustrating. http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest/59870851

Code:
PPP Status
PPP Parameter    Status
User Name:    (PRIVATE)
PPP Type:    PPPoE
LCP State:    UP
IPCP State:    UP
Authentication Failures:    0
Session Time:    0 Days, 0H:6M:43S
Packets Sent:    42093
Packets Received:    42486

Broadband Status
Broadband Parameter    Status
VPI:    0
VCI:    35
Broadband Mode Setting:    MULTIMODE
Broadband Negotiated Mode:    ADSL2+
Connection Status:    CONNECTED
Downstream Speed:    8063 Kbps
Upstream Speed:    508 Kbps
Retrains:    0
Retrain Timer:    11 Days, 6H:14M:48S
ATM QoS class:    UBR
Near End CRC Errors Interleave:    1
Near End CRC Errors Fastpath :    N/A
Far End CRC Errors Interleave :    0
Far End CRC Errors Fastpath :    N/A
30 Minute Near End CRC Interleave :    0
30 Minute Near End CRC Fastpath :    N/A
30 Minute Far End CRC Interleave :    0
30 Minute Far End CRC Fastpath :    N/A
Near End RS FEC Interleave :    0
Near End RS FEC Fastpath :    N/A
Far End RS FEC Interleave :    0
Far End RS FEC Fastpath :    N/A
30 Minute Near End FEC Interleave :    0
30 Minute Near End FEC Fastpath :    N/A
30 Minute Far End FEC Interleave :    0
30 Minute Far End FEC Fastpath :    N/A
30 Minute Discarded Packets Downstream :    0
30 Minute Discarded Packets Upstream :    0
SNR Downstream :    24 dB
SNR Upstream :    14 dB
Attenuation Downstream :    16 dB
Attenuation Upstream :    5 dB
Power Downstream    16.2 dBm
Power Upstream    12.3 dBm

Forgot to mention idk why for Downstream Speed it says 8063 Kbps because i dont even get near that speed.

Sorry if this is in the wrong section of forum, but I got an issue and I hope someone can help me solve it.

Whenever someone downloads or uploads something the internet does not work cant even load google site, and in games the ping spikes to 999 max basically. So I did some research and I tried using DSLreports that others suggested and I suppose it's bufferbloat since on download it spikes to 500ms and sometimes stable 10ms but on upload it's spiking like crazy 2000ms to 6000ms non-stop.
Is this real buffer bloat, or just the results of a test? I ask because whenever I run a test online it reports that I have horrible buffer bloat, but when I actually manually start pinging a host and then fire up a huge download, the pings barely change.

Is this real buffer bloat, or just the results of a test? I ask because whenever I run a test online it reports that I have horrible buffer bloat, but when I actually manually start pinging a host and then fire up a huge download, the pings barely change.
well yeah because whenever i upload or download for example internet does not work cant even load sites such as google.

Hi Joshua, I have been reading your tale of woe. From all indications, you do have bufferbloat. You can learn more at https://www.bufferbloat.net/projects/bloat/wiki/What_can_I_do_about_Bufferbloat/ (DSLReports.com/speedtest is a very good test, despite naysayer comments. Or run your own tests, as indicated in that article.)

With your ISP service (DSL at 7mbps download/700kbps upload), you need a router that knows how to get rid of Bufferbloat. I'm in the same situation, and I heartily recommend the IQrouter v3 (about $140 on Amazon here in the US).

IQrouter was created by a bunch of guys who suffer from crummy DSL service at their homes. It automatically detects the link speed and adjusts its settings to match (even by time-of-day).

You connect the IQrouter to your ISP's DSL modem, and let the IQrouter control all the network traffic in your house.

Under heavy load (uploading and downloading as fast as the DSL will handle) my latency peaks at 40-55 msec. Good luck!

Hi Joshua, I have been reading your tale of woe. From all indications, you do have bufferbloat. You can learn more at https://www.bufferbloat.net/projects/bloat/wiki/What_can_I_do_about_Bufferbloat/ (DSLReports.com/speedtest is a very good test, despite naysayer comments. Or run your own tests, as indicated in that article.)

With your ISP service (DSL at 7mbps download/700kbps upload), you need a router that knows how to get rid of Bufferbloat. I'm in the same situation, and I heartily recommend the IQrouter v3 (about $140 on Amazon here in the US).

IQrouter was created by a bunch of guys who suffer from crummy DSL service at their homes. It automatically detects the link speed and adjusts its settings to match (even by time-of-day).

You connect the IQrouter to your ISP's DSL modem, and let the IQrouter control all the network traffic in your house.

Under heavy load (uploading and downloading as fast as the DSL will handle) my latency peaks at 40-55 msec. Good luck!
ive heard IQRouter is just a advertising gimmick

I am curious about this result. Would you be willing to share a DSL Reports test and "ping a host and fire up a download" test? It would be helpful to see the results for pinging-and-upload, too. Many thanks.

ive heard IQRouter is just a advertising gimmick
Nope. IQrouter is a commercialized version of the OpenWrt firmware that solved bufferbloat back in 2012.

I have helped ~30-40 people in my small hometown install an IQrouter to overcome exactly the symptoms you describe. (People say things like, "Everything works fine until my wife comes home and her phone begins to upload its photos...") I get IQrouter working (in 5-10 minutes) and then never hear back from them (except for the smiles at the dump).

I've been on the OpenWrt/Bufferbloat team from the start and can tell you that the algorithms in IQrouter are based on these eight years of research. The algorithms are now in all versions of Linux, FreeBSD. A few commercial router vendors have gained a clue - so I'm happy to point to Evenroute/IQrouter and the others listed.

Good luck - I'd like to hear how you fare. Thanks.

Nope. IQrouter is a commercialized version of the OpenWrt firmware that solved bufferbloat back in 2012.

I have helped ~30-40 people in my small hometown install an IQrouter to overcome exactly the symptoms you describe. (People say things like, "Everything works fine until my wife comes home and her phone begins to upload its photos...") I get IQrouter working (in 5-10 minutes) and then never hear back from them (except for the smiles at the dump).

I've been on the OpenWrt/Bufferbloat team from the start and can tell you that the algorithms in IQrouter are based on these eight years of research. The algorithms are now in all versions of Linux, FreeBSD. A few commercial router vendors have gained a clue - so I'm happy to point to Evenroute/IQrouter and the others listed.

Good luck - I'd like to hear how you fare. Thanks.
ive heard people on reddit and other sites that its not working and is bs

Actually, I was hoping that @sbsnb would post results. But thanks for sending yours...

here: http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest/59872101 knock yourself out. (not trying to be rude) just a speech

Oh yes, this is clearly bufferbloat. When you look at the chart below the Grades on the Results page:

* Click on Idle, and you see that most samples are << 100msec (sounds right)
* Click on Downloading, most samples are kinda high, but mostly around 100 msec
* Click on Uploading, and sample times ramp up from >800 msec to over 5,500 msec (five and a half seconds)

This is classic bufferbloat for DSL lines: download bloat isn't bad, upload bloat is astonishing/crippling.

I can confidently state that an IQrouter would solve the problem (and Amazon'll take it back if you're not happy.) Good luck

ive heard people on reddit and other sites that its not working and is bs

I don't know what to tell you, except that I own and use an IQrouter, and I have a couple dozen neighbors (who know where I live :)) who are happy with the IQrouter on the 7mbps/768kbps DSL service we get here.

PS I just checked Amazon for "iqrouter v3 renewed" and there are none. There are plenty of other listings for "<insert other router model> renewed"... So people just don't seem to return many to Amazon.

PPS Why am I recommending the IQrouter so strongly? Because I see that you're suffering, and frankly not getting good guidance from this forum ("Is this real buffer bloat, or just the results of a test?" is not helpful. What you're seeing is real latency/lag during the speed tests. It matches the very definition of bufferbloat. And it is a solved problem with an easy solution.) If you are a bit of a techie, you could purchase any of the routers mentioned on the OpenWrt site, install the current firmware (for free) and configure it. IQrouter is plug-and-play, OpenWrt is a fun (for me) tech pastime.

I wish you the best, whatever option you pursue.

Last edited:
Forgot to mention idk why for Downstream Speed it says 8063 Kbps because i dont even get near that speed.

PPPS - I didn't see anyone respond to your note, so here's what I know. The 8063 kbps (8.063mbps) is the fastest "bit rate" the ISP sends - there's a bunch of overhead that uses some of that to give you the actual ~6.5 to 7mbps you're seeing.

On the upstream side, the link bit rate is 508 kbps. You'll see a real data rate something less than that (maybe ~400-500 kbps without bufferbloat) in actual practice. Thanks.

PPPS - I didn't see anyone respond to your note, so here's what I know. The 8063 kbps (8.063mbps) is the fastest "bit rate" the ISP sends - there's a bunch of overhead that uses some of that to give you the actual ~6.5 to 7mbps you're seeing.

On the upstream side, the link bit rate is 508 kbps. You'll see a real data rate something less than that (maybe ~400-500 kbps without bufferbloat) in actual practice. Thanks.
for upstream those are the speeds i get you mentioned but still get bufferbloat, any way i change change overhead?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!