What's new

MOCA Performance

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ivanl3

New Around Here
Newbie here who is a bit disappointed in the performance of my MOCA Network.

Here is my configuration:

1. No POE filter bc I have no neighbors within 0.5 miles. According to Motorola, none is needed in this scenario.

2. All Coax is RG6.

3. All Ethernet is CAT5E (or CAT 6)

4. All MOCA boxes are Motorola MM1000. Bonded 2.0

5. Coax to Cable Modem from pole outside. Ethernet from modem to Router. Ethernet from router to MOCA Adapter, Coax out of MOCA adapter out to 8 way splitter. 7 of the outputs from splitter are used. The one that isn't is capped.

6. Six (6) of the 7 Coax out use coax in walls to lead to another Moca Adapter. Each of which then lead to Roku Devices using Ethernet.

7. The 7th Coax goes through a wall and leads to another 2 way splitter, both outputs of splitter lead to MOCA adapters. One of those adapters leads to Roku device. One leads to a Mac Mini computer.

8. Both splitters in this network are MOCA 2.0 compatible.

9. Back to my router, I also have an Ethernet out of that router directly to a Windows desk top. My download speeds to that desktop are typically 500 MBPS.

10. On the Mac Mini, I am only getting half that speed (maybe 60%). The total Coax/Ethernet run to the Mac Mini from the router (through the entire network) is 75' tops. Most of that is Coax. I am using the same speedtest site (and server) on both machines. Both computers have 1GB Ethernet ports.

11. I tried doing a speed test from the Windows machine to the Mac Mini using Jperf, but couldn't figure out how to get Jperf to run on the Mac mini.

Thoughts? Questions?

Hopefully I did a decent job of describing the network and issue.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I added the POE (before the router) just bc it was easy and in theory it could have been an issue.

It made no difference.

Well, I found it. I was barking up the wrong MOCA tree.

I moved the Mac Mini down to were my Windows machine is and plugged it directly into the Router temporarily (using the same cord that had been in the Windows Machine) and the Mac Mini still showed the same degradation.

So my problem is with the Mac Mini.

Why didn't I just try this first? Moving that Mac Mini from an (un) Cabling and (re) cabling perspective is a real pain in the a$$ and I doubted that would be the issue. But sure enough, it was.

Getting off topic a bit here, so mods are free to delete this comment or lock the thread if they wish. Turns out my download speed problems on the Mac Mini were limited to Chrome. When I switched to Safari, the speeds jumped back up (and even exceeded) what I am getting on my Windows Desktop.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!