What's new

MU-MIMO vs Speed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Yaglur

Occasional Visitor
Currently have a 100/100 Mbit connection.
Looking to replace the ISP router.
Was inclined for AC58U, but just saw a AC66U priced very close due to discount.

Considering my connection is 100/100 neither top out before the connection.

So which one would be the better buy?

AC58U has MU-Mimo which the AC66U lacks. I have mu-mimo devices, also the odd non mu-mimo devices and guest devices.

I'm interested in Wifi range and speed, IPv6 firewall (which both have) and print server for a usb printer.

Will be connecting this to an ONT.

Thanks.

I would not let MU-MIMO be the deciding factor. Even if you have devices that support it (how do you know you do?), you need two devices to see any benefit.

Also, the rule of thumb is # of MU-MIMO devices supported = # of streams -1. Since the AC58U is a two-stream router, there is really no benefit.

The AC66U is a three stream router. Even if you have only 1 and 2 stream devices, the extra stream provides benefit of higher throughput and more useful range.

The AC66U is a three stream router. Even if you have only 1 and 2 stream devices, the extra stream provides benefit of higher throughput and more useful range.

Perhaps another point for the AC66U - decent third party support for the firmware, and it's well known item in the community here.

I see thank you.
As for the mu-mimo devices, well they advertise as such.

So the AC66U even though it's older would still be a better purchase.

Ok throwing in a new one to the pool DIR-882, it's missing the print server, but it has 4 streams.

Basically I'm looking for something that around 100 Euros or less, and that has good wireless range and speed. It needs to have ipv6 firewall, which I believe only Asus and Dlink have?
On top of this having a print server would be a nice have.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

So the AC66U even though it's older would still be a better purchase.

Clients really are the choice - the AC66U can do a good job with most actually - and this is kind of where things are these days.