What's new

Multiple Switches (x2) - Bottle-Necking?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

FreshChops!

New Around Here
Hi, New here, but great info I've found so far.

I am attempting to move a router's location in my house which requires me to add to the chain.
I'm not at all well versed in the lingo, so I will try to explain as best as possible.

My original set-up (which worked well) went as follows:
Cable Modem > ASUS wireless router > into Ethernet jack in wall which tied to a (closet) switch that feeds all Ethernet jack drops throughout the house. At the end of one of the drops (living room), I also had another switch to feed all hardwired entertainment center devices. As it were, everything was fine except the wireless router was too far away to receive a decent signal throughout the majority of the house.

My goal is to move the wireless router to the center of the house (living room). This location would also take care of the last switch that was connecting the entertainment center devices.

I moved the switch that was at the entertainment center to the first spot after the cable modem. The router now takes it's place. in the living room. Everything ties in but I don't get actual internet connection beyond the first switch.

Where the bottle-neck seems to happen is: after the first switch (at the modem location) and before the second switch.

Troubleshooting... the first switch receives signal and transmits well. I have a computer plugged into the first switch (after modem) which works fine (typing on it now). When I test the line after the wall jack that feeds the second switch (that's the whole house switch), It doesn't connect... so, it seems like something between the first switch (out); the wall jack and the cable feeding the second (closet switch), it looses signal.

I didn't run the cat5 all throughout my house personally, so I don't know how they are connected other than there is a master jack near where the modem is and it meets (cat5e) in the closet at a (Zonet) switch - where all of the remaining house ethernet jacks are feed from.

I would be happy to give a complete rundown of all of the gear / models or more specific connection details, but perhaps there is an obvious no-no point to be made. I don't know why I have signal from the first switch (after the modem - where it's lugged directly to a Mac computer), but not after the jack that runs to the closet's switch. I have tried swapping out about 4 cables that all test good other than the point to point I'm referring to. All of the cabling, including the attic runs throughout the house are cat5e.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Don't have time to analyze your post in detail right now, but a few thoughts.

A diagram would be most helpful. :)

A modem should be connected to the router, not the switch. Most likely, you will need to run another wire back to the switch from your centrally located router so that the rest of the network can be properly connected (via the Router).

My guess is that the one PC that works is grabbing a single IP address handed out by the Cable Modem. This prevents the WAN side of the router getting an IP address and anything on the other side of the router will also then have no connection. You also talk about router, first switch and second switch. I presume one of these switches is actually the one in the router? As the poster above says, I think you probably need to patch from modem into your living room and into the WAN port of the router, and then take one of the router LAN ports and patch that on a separate connection back into closet, and into the switch there.

The only thing that should be connected to the Cable Modem is the WAN side of the router I would assume. It shouldn't go via any other switches etc. and you PC shouldn't be connected directly into the Cable Modem either

Thanks guys, for the feedback!... simply reading into your notes about putting the router after the modem, before the switch, pretty much rules out the possibility of relocating the router in the house. The family wasn't patient enough for me to figure things out, so I had to go back to my original set-up.

Also, right about the single PC grabbing the IP address (first). My son was reading into things while I was posting here... he saw similar issue noted. Makes sense!
Is there a work-around to that from my PC end, or it will grab the IP address by default?

It is not the PC's 'fault'. It is the ISP that only gives one IP address. :(

As @Andyf66 pointed out the cable modem must be connected to the WAN port of a router not a switch. If the goal is to improve your wireless coverage then the best and simplest solution would be to buy a wireless access point and plug it into the switch in the living room. Easy :)

As @Andyf66 pointed out the cable modem must be connected to the WAN port of a router not a switch. If the goal is to improve your wireless coverage then the best and simplest solution would be to buy a wireless access point and plug it into the switch in the living room. Easy :)

That is definitely the easiest route. You can even repurpose an old router into an wireless access point if you have one spare. Plenty of guides on the internet, its very easy.

That sounds like the approach I should have taken from the beginning. I'm pretty sure I have decent routers around in the "wires n' things" boxes. I'll look into how to do it (youtude instruction's style) and if encounter any issues, may be right beck here. Thanks for all's input!

You can extend your network from the cable modem to a different location but you need to understand an extension is on an outside network to your local network and cannot be used except for the router extension. Also there is only one IP address available so you need to turn off all DHCP in the extension's gear on what ever switch you use to extend to the router. This can also be done in an isolated VLAN so you do not need to commit a whole switch to the extension.

You can extend your network from the cable modem to a different location but you need to understand an extension is on an outside network to your local network and cannot be used except for the router extension. Also there is only one IP address available so you need to turn off all DHCP in the extension's gear on what ever switch you use to extend to the router. This can also be done in an isolated VLAN so you do not need to commit a whole switch to the extension.

Will adding the extension router be at a later ethernet jack port introduce any security (or lack thereof) issues?

Will adding the extension router be at a later ethernet jack port introduce any security (or lack thereof) issues?
No. You can't use the equipment. It is just for extending as you are limited to one IP address. Hopefully you are not running double NAT.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!