What's new

My way of increasing signal strength

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

IAAI

Very Senior Member
hey ,

i ll cut to the chase , if you are getting a bad WiFi signal try 100mW in Tx power adjustment

it's the last option under wireless > professional ;)

----

plz give me your feedback :D

Last edited:
My experience is that the setting makes no noticeable difference to signal strength or throughput. I think in my environment interference is a bigger issue.

yeah, this can increase signal strength, but you get to a point where it becomes counter intuitive
you raise the power high enough, you will actually see throughput drop

and as already said more power means more heat
more heat means shorter usefull life span for the router

yeah, this can increase signal strength, but you get to a point where it becomes counter intuitive
you raise the power high enough, you will actually see throughput drop

ive seen people claim this numerous times but never once have i seen someone prove it. maybe if your in a single bedroom house that works but not in mine

i am at 200tx and only seen throughput drop when lowering strength

A few comments here, the theory says that every time you double the power, that boosts your signal 3dBm. So if you start at 80mw, you have to go to 160mw to get that first 3dBm, and 320mw to get another 3dBm. So, yes, it does work to boost your transmitted power (up to a point), but keep these in mind:

1. Boosting the transmit power at your router does not boost the client's transmitted power. Since the protocols are two-way, the client's transmit power will limit its range. In other words, it doesn't matter that the client can hear the router if the router can't hear the client. That tends to mean that using better antennas is really a more practical way to extend the range of a router, since it increases both receive and transmit capabilities.

2. Watch the temperature of the radios...you can do this using the web admin GUI. Also, increasing the transmitted power can cause signal distortion after a certain point which does not help speed, just signal strength.

So, router signal strength is not the whole story here. You have to deal with client signal strength, heat, and signal quality as well.

high power over typical antennas has a habit of just blasting more noise than signal. then your neighbor calls the fcc on you, etc. just run at the rated power and let the grown ups figure out turning the noise into signal via firmware updates. in some cases, you can get better signal by dropping the power.

additionally, wireless broadcasts have a dead zone around the source becomes larger as the power increases, resulting in a lot of instability if the device is a few feet or less from the AP

You get better returns tweaking your wireless settings to account for a crowded neighborhood, the structures surrounding the router, etc. As well as the placements of the antennae all without the risk of burning out your radios.

I actually tested tx power under dd-wrt on an E3000 about a year and a half ago
RMerlin would be familiar with the bandwidth_test script in the WDLXTV project

I had to pass a signal through some walls, etc ...
and wireless was my only options, so I exhausted all possible options, and ran the bandwidth_test for each

default for asus is 80
dd-wrt default, if I remember correctly was 100,
by the time I hit 120
actual test throughput was half of what it was at 100

I assume this has to do with signal to noise ratio, etc ...
but regardless, I found increasing tx power made the situation worse

hey ,

i ll cut to the chase , if you are getting a bad WiFi signal try 100mW in Tx power adjustment

it's the last option under wireless > professional ;)

----

plz give me your feedback :D
Yes, I noticed the 100mW effect on my N66u combined with 802.11d(regulation mode) enabled using SDK6 of Merlin's .35_2/.35_4. According to inSSIDer I gained 8-10dB on both bands. Take note, I didn't see the effect of the changes until 48 hrs. so yes, give the router time to adjust.

thank you all for participating . i just have one question

what are the CE requirements ?

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 1,167
As is stated in the links thiggins posted:

Wireless communication works in two directions, there is no use having your access point transmit with higher power when your client (computer, pad or whatever) still transmits with the same (low) power.

To get increased range you must increase the power in BOTH END.

If you can't hear me because the distance is to large, it doesn't help that YOU start screaming, you still won't hear me better...

As is stated in the links thiggins posted:

Wireless communication works in two directions, there is no use having your access point transmit with higher power when your client (computer, pad or whatever) still transmits with the same (low) power.

To get increased range you must increase the power in BOTH END.

If you can't hear me because the distance is to large, it doesn't help that YOU start screaming, you still won't hear me better...
Actually, An Experiment In Wireless Power And Range says that increasing only router transmit power can increase range. It all depends on the starting point for router power.

The experiment in the article changed power levels by doubling and halving, i.e. +/- 3dB. They also used a lower signal level—50% of the router and client's normal transmit power level—as the baseline.