1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

Need a switch

Discussion in 'Switches, NICs and cabling' started by Hap, Nov 16, 2018.

1. Hap

Hap New Around Here

Would like to add a smart/web switch to the home setup, removing all the wireless devices- my choice, Thinking the ZyXEL GS108B Switch could work, it has some nice features. This would also help with the new security camera system to interface with the Internet, I only needed a few extra ports, this would interface with a CISCO Security Router in place. Don't know much about the ZyXEL product but have heard good results- any thoughts- many thanks, or maybe I should only buy the Managed switch
    Hap

Last edited: Nov 16, 2018
  2. MichaelCG

MichaelCG Senior Member

What is your need/requirement for needing a smart switch?

3. Hap

Hap New Around Here

Just in case for future needs and the cost for both types are not that far apart, switches have become cheaper and smarter. One thing I did forget should support RTSP

Last edited: Nov 16, 2018
  4. sfx2000

sfx2000 Part of the Furniture

Nice switch - also look at Netgear's GS-108T - Layer3-Lite, and a decent pricepoint...

5. Hap

Hap New Around Here

Netgear's GS-108T , Do you know if it will support RTSP- thanks

6. abailey

abailey Very Senior Member

I thought RTSP was at the application layer, not Layer 2 like a smart switch, or Layer 3 like a routing switch. Meaning I thought all switches could pass RTSP.

7. sfx2000

RTSP is generally App Layer... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real_Time_Streaming_Protocol

This is outside of any L2/L3 switch - orges have layers, switches have layers - RTSP is not one of those layers...

8. Hap

Hap New Around Here

My understand and thought it was part of the Transport Layer, tho it is an Application, but mainly interest if the device can handle streaming rates as needed- Thanks for the respond

9. Hap

Hap New Around Here

After reviewing the Netgear GS-108T, opt out for the GS108Tv2--thanks for all your help pointing me to a good results

10. sfx2000

Any gigabit switch - managed or not, is going to have more than enough bandwidth for any application.

@Hap - you may not need a L2/L3 managed switch actually - it's likely not going to help much...