What's new

Need help on NAS, Router & Switch

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

avtexan

New Around Here
I am looking to update my current home network.
Thanks to this site I have narrowed my choices to:

Router: Netgear WNDR3700
NAS: Synology DS411+
Drives: WD RE4 2 TB SATA Hard Drives

I currently have a Netgear GS524T unmanaged gigabit 24port switch and a Netgear WN802T Access Point.

My questions are as follows:

1) Will all of this gear work together well? I don't want to not be able to utilize a feature of one device because I am missing something on another device.

2) The Netgear switch I have is VERY loud. I can hear it in my home theater room. If I were going to upgrade this what would be the best Netgear gigabit switch that is quite? Do I need a managed / smart switch? I still need at least 24 ports.

3) If I use the WNDR3700 router can I use the WN802T Access Point that I currently have to extend coverage to the other side of the house? Will I lose any performance?

4) Any thoughts on better choices would be welcomed.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

1) Will all of this gear work together well? I don't want to not be able to utilize a feature of one device because I am missing something on another device.
I don't see any roadblocks in what you have chosen.

2) The Netgear switch I have is VERY loud. I can hear it in my home theater room. If I were going to upgrade this what would be the best Netgear gigabit switch that is quite? Do I need a managed / smart switch? I still need at least 24 ports.
If you're asking the question, you probably don't need a managed switch. See Smart Switch How To - Part 1: What A Managed Switch Can Do For Your Small Network

3) If I use the WNDR3700 router can I use the WN802T Access Point that I currently have to extend coverage to the other side of the house? Will I lose any performance?
You should connect it via Ethernet for best performance. You can also use WDS, but you will lose 50% of throughput. See Everything You Need To Know About Wireless Bridging and Repeating - Part 1: WDS

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!