What's new

Need help with router settings for Nest Thermostat

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mm2531

Occasional Visitor
I hope this is the right place to ask this - if not, I apologize.

I recently installed a Nest 3rd generation thermostat, and for the most part it works perfectly. I can change the temperature when I am out of the house, etc. However, it will not automatically go into "Eco Mode" when I am out of the house.

The Nest app on my phone shows that it recognizes that I am not in the house (using the location settings), but it will not communicate this appropriately with the thermostat. After spending a lot of time with support, it is fairly certain that there is something preventing this in my router - Netgear R7000 running the current stock firmware.

Support suggested opening up ports 80, 443, and 9543. I have forwarded these ports after giving the Nest a static IP. Still no luck. When I use an utility like "canyouseeme.org", and check the ports, it says it could not reach the ports because the connection timed out.

I am tearing my hair out trying to get this thermostat to work properly. Any suggestions as to what could be preventing this communication from the phone? I tested it using my iPad, with the same results. Until today, I was happily running Xvortex firmware, but reverted back to stock just to make sure that this was not the issue.

Any suggestions would be gratefully accepted. Thanks.

I am tearing my hair out trying to get this thermostat to work properly.

sounds like these nest guys have nfi about wifi as their cams play up and other things on wifi and in general connectivity , try putting the routers 2.4 gig into 20ghz mode and even try disabling beamforming as that seems to help

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!