What's new

Need SOLID router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

scuts

New Around Here
I am a computer programmer and often upload pretty large files to servers etc. We are in a new 3000sqft house where most everything is hardwired however, we do need wireless capabilities. List of current devices:

These laptops are normally wired, but obviously could come off and go wireless
Laptop Intel 4965AGN Win 7
Laptop Intel 82579LM Win 7
Laptop Intel Centrino Advanced N Win 7
Laptop 11BGN Wireless Lan PCI Express Half Mini card adapter Win 7

Always wifi
Kindle Fire
Microsoft Surface RT
2 Android Phones

Wired straight to router
Buffalo Linkstation
Buffalo Terrastation
Everfocus Security System DVR

I am currently running a Netgear WNDR4500 and have had pretty good luck with it until we had the security cameras installed. The DVR loses its connection to the router causing the mobile as well as internal network viewing to drop. It is like it loses its IP (yes I understand this could be the DVR and not the router).

Based on recommendations of installer as well as Everfocus (DVR manufacturer) we went to a Linksys EA4500. That lasted about 4 hours, horribble wifi reception etc. Everfocus still dropped so I went back to the netgear.

I just need something that is SOLID as the netgear is starting to show signs of spotty connections. I have been reading up on the ASUS routers but I am concerned with all of the firmware problems. I would also like some sort of range extending capabilities as I have a shop about 600ft away down the hill through trees. This is not a must but would be an awesome nice to have.

Thoughts? Questions?

I used to be a fan of Linksys Cisco Routers however..

One of the most frustrating experiences when using the EA4500 was the Linksys Cloud based firmware. It never worked great for me and I also found that the wireless signal provided by the EA4500 was inadequate for my wireless security cameras.

As of yesterday I recently replaced my EA4500 with the Asus RT-N66U Dark Night. My experience so far after 24 hours is that the router offers excellent coverage in my house and I also like the firmware far more than what Linksys provided. I too read criticisms of the Asus firmware on various places (mostly on Amazon) but cannot say anything but good things about the latest firmware on my N66U because while it takes some getting used to, it's pretty easy to use and I like how Asus doesn't dumb down its router interface.

Also, while recently researching routers one of the concerns that I had was the ability of a router to use open source firmware such as DD WRT or tomato. I really think this is useful because when the manufacturer stops offering updated firmware, the open source people who create and maintain DD WRT, tomato, etc; really do a fantastic job and can add more life to an aging router.

If you are interested in open source firmware, make sure you pay attention to the chip set of the router that you are interesting in purchasing. Last year when searching for a replacement for my 9 year old WRT54g, I bought the EA4500 without doing the research and was more than slightly annoyed when I found out that the Marvell chip set is completely incompatible with open source firmware.

Finally, you may want to consider using your EA4500 in bridge mode. Mine works fine at the other end of my home and combined with my N66U I seem to be getting wireless coverage at least 3 houses away from my property.

curios why the N and not the AC 66U?

While I can't answer for socaljazzdude, the answer may be pertinent in your case given your clients - do you have any ac clients?

If not the N66 provides comparable 2.4 GHz performance to the AC66, for $50 less:

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/lanwan/router-charts/bar/115-2_4-ghz-updn-c

At 5 GHz I would assume that the N66 would be comparable to the AC66 for n clients (i.e. not able to take advantage of ac rates). However I'm not able to manipulate the charts to show that - the data is for an ac client so obviously an n ap won't produce the same result.

Given that ac is in such flux right now it may be best to wait until the dust settles. Most people forget that the ac standard is still in draft form right now. By the time you accumulate enough ac clients to really take advantage, prices will have dropped yet speeds will have improved even further. In the meantime with an N66 you have superior range and performance for n and g devices.

I don't understand buying an ac router now for "future proofing". By the time the "future" arrives you won't want one of the first- or second-generation ac routers available now. Plus new ac goodies are coming - 160 MHz channel widths and MU-MIMO, which aren't out right now.

If I go with the ASUS do they make outdoor range extenders?

I don't think so. Ubiquiti specializes in such devices and I believe 600 feet shouldn't be a problem if you choose the right device - however trees in the line of sight will be an issue regardless of what you choose.

http://www.ubnt.com/airmax#airMaxHardware

That's a good question

curios why the N and not the AC 66U?

And it's definitely one that prior to a few days ago, I had been asking myself ever since I decided to replace my EA4500. While researching various AC routers, I did find that the AC 66U to be the best AC router out there. However since I do not have any wireless AC clients and the fact that most of the devices connected to my network are on a wired connection, I felt that the N66U would be best for me and my network needs.

Finally, I am waiting for the upcoming 802.11 AD standard as I understand that will allow up to 7Gbit/s. So for me, I felt I could skip wireless AC until 802.11AD is ratified.

Finally, I am waiting for the upcoming 802.11 AD standard as I understand that will allow up to 7Gbit/s. So for me, I felt I could skip wireless AC until 802.11AD is ratified.

How would one use '11.ad? Very short range.
Cable replacement for USB3-to-disk?

How would one use '11.ad? Very short range.
Cable replacement for USB3-to-disk?

Well when the times comes and I do eventually upgrade to .11ad, I'll still be using two routers anyway (one primary, another in bridge mode). So yes I do anticipate shorter ranges but for me, I don't believe that should be much of an issue.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!