What's new

Nest Releases Open Source Version Of Thread

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Julio Urquidi

News Editor
Nest just announced that it is releasing OpenThread, an open source version of the IPv6-based Thread protocol used to connect smart home devices over low-powered wireless mesh networks.
openthreadlogo.jpg

With Nest’s release of OpenThread, and with contributions from companies like ARM and Qualcomm, the newly announced open source protocol can run on Thread-based radios that, according to Nest, will help accelerate the growth and spread of smart home technologies and products, including those that are already using Thread, like Nest Weave and ZigBee.

OpenThread is now available on GitHub, along with sample code and documentation.

Ha ha, those all sound like viruses to me.

I am really starting to strongly dislike the spread of devices with mesh 'technology' inside. If are WiFi airwaves are saturated now, won't they bust at the seams if every other install depended on mesh?

Nest just announced that it is releasing OpenThread, an open source version of the IPv6-based Thread protocol used to connect smart home devices over low-powered wireless mesh networks.
View attachment 6292
With Nest’s release of OpenThread, and with contributions from companies like ARM and Qualcomm, the newly announced open source protocol can run on Thread-based radios that, according to Nest, will help accelerate the growth and spread of smart home technologies and products, including those that are already using Thread, like Nest Weave and ZigBee.

OpenThread is now available on GitHub, along with sample code and documentation.

First remotely positive news to come out of Nest in a long time. Doesn't really affect me considering I alreaady have the the Ecobee3

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!