What's new

Netgear 10GbE network setup?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ERDrPC

New Around Here
Hi Everyone

Question for expanding my network. I currently have a Netgear FVS336G v2 running into a 24TPS. I've upgraded to the Netgear GS752TPS. I'm also considering adding the Netgear XS712T and running port trunking for my workstation and server with Intel X520-T2 in both using windows 8.1 and server essentials which utilize SMB3. I also have two apple airport extreme's which I use as wireless access points.

What is the best way to interconnect everything? I'm not currently using VLANS but I will be setting up the VPN.

I am thinking one cat 6 from the FVS336G v2 to the GS752TPS , one to the XS712T and one to each of the apple airport extremes. Since the FVS336G v2 controls the DHCP devices connected anywhere through either of the switches or wireless APs should be able to "talk" to each other. Or is it better to have one Cat 6 from the FVS336G v2 to the GS752TPS and then have the cat 6 from the APs and XS712T connect to the GS752TPS. With 4 additional XS712T open ports, does it make sense to team with 4 ports of the GS752TPS.

I am video editing and moving a lot of data with SSDs and such. Looking to maximize bandwidth within my intranet.

Everything except one AP is in the same rack
Thanks for the replies

Connect the router and access points to the 24 Port GbE switch.

Connect the server and workstation to the 10GE switch (trunk them if you want to).

Connect 2 to 4 cables (this really depends on how many devices connect to the server) to trunk the 10GE switch to the 24 Port GbE switch.

IF you check my 10GbE "confessions" series, I've got several network diagrams coming in the next version...

If you only have one server and workstation to take advantage of 10G, you don't need a switch. Just direct connect them. If you only have one workstation doing video, just curious why you're using a server? In that scenario, a single fast workstation with local raid and a NAS (or similar) for backup is all you would need.

The blog series (my last contribution, a workstation/server build is in the works right now): http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/labels/cinevate

The section on SMB3 tuning might be of particular interest :)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!