What's new

NETGEAR GS108T- Reduced performance w/ 802.1q VLANs

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

iugrifma

Occasional Visitor
Tamarin, Mr. Thiggins,
this is a very good point. I'd like to share an experience I had this month. I configured my 2 GS108T switches (which are connected via and uplink) to segregate my SO and Home (entertainment/internet) traffic using the 802.1Q functionality within the switches. As soon as the PVID for a port was changed on one port performance went through the floor.
Functionally everything worked fine the broadcast domains were segregated but the performance was so bad I had to scrap the idea and resort to port based VLAN configuration (making it very difficult for multi-switch environment). To give you an idea of the sort of performance loss, and this is a simple test I know, I continuously pinged various devices [originally just to see if segregation was working] and as soon as the 802.1Q config was saved and I tried to 'use' the network millisecond count to my NAS went from <2ms to and average of 600-800ms and at worst case 3500ms! Throughput on file transfer went from just under 3Mb/s [wireless 11g] to 80Kb/s. After poking about for a long time I concluded that the processors in the GS108T were either not up to the job or the code they were running wasnt.
I know you have such a device Mr. Thiggins and would suggest you give it a whirl!
Best wishes,
Griffo.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!