What's new

Few questions about Asus RT-AX88U pro

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

LeKeiser

Hello everyone,

So I had a very good Netgear R7800. Was very happy with it, great WiFi coverage, it could handle my 28+ devices like a champ running with Mr @Voxel firmware and Mr @kamoj add-on. But lately, the 5GHz radio started to fail. So I started to look for a replacement in case it would definitly die on me.
I had precious councels here and I had a good deal on a RT-AX88U Pro. So I went for it.
The installation was a bit tricky, I had to use the Asus App on my laptop to start the configuration. After an hour, the router was up and running.
WiFi coverage is OK. My R7800 was a bit better it seems. Especially with the 2.4GHz.
The GUI is much much better though. At least to my eyes :)

I still have a few questions, if I may post them here.

_ I'm running the latest Asus firmware. So far, so good. Is there a way to check the temperature of the CPU ? A command to launch in the terminal ?

_ I upgraded the firmware but didn't reset the router after. Bad decision ? If I do reset it, I'll lose all my settings, right ?

_ I configured the AiProtection. Is it any good? Does it take a lot of ressource ?

_ I used to have a port triggering config on my R7800. I had to enter the port number, the protocol (TCP/UDP) and the destination IP. I see that it's different with the Asus. Port Trigger. I have to enter 2 configs, one for TCP, one for UDP. And there is no option to enter the destination IP. Is this normal ?

I'm sure I'll have some more questions as I use the router these coming days.

Thanx a lot for your comments :)

The installation was a bit tricky, I had to use the Asus App on my laptop to start the configuration.

If laptop, then just browse to the router LAN IP to use the firmware webUI to configure the router firmware.

_ I'm running the latest Asus firmware. So far, so good. Is there a way to check the temperature of the CPU ? A command to launch in the terminal ?

Login to the webUI and browse to subpage /ajax_coretmp.asp to confirm CPU temp <86C (85% Tj max).

_ I upgraded the firmware but didn't reset the router after. Bad decision ? If I do reset it, I'll lose all my settings, right ?

Yes, Hard Reset the firmware to is default settings before configuration from scratch.

FW Reset FAQ

Reset button/webUI Restore/node removal - clears settings in NVRAM; reboot restores fw defaults from CFE

Hard Reset via WPS button/webUI Restore+Initialize - also clears data logged in /jffs partition

_ I configured the AiProtection. Is it any good? Does it take a lot of ressource ?

It can help avoid malicious websites.... one more layer of protection.

_ I used to have a port triggering config on my R7800. I had to enter the port number, the protocol (TCP/UDP) and the destination IP. I see that it's different with the Asus. Port Trigger. I have to enter 2 configs, one for TCP, one for UDP. And there is no option to enter the destination IP. Is this normal ?

No experience with this, sorry... should be do-able.

OE

_ I upgraded the firmware but didn't reset the router after. Bad decision ?
Upgrading from a supplied stock firmware to the current version of stock firmware doesn't usually require a reset. This is a normal firmware update procedure. You would only do a reset if there was a significant jump in versions (e.g. from 3.0.0.4.388.x to 3.0.0.6.102.x) or after installing a custom firmware. What firmware version were you previously on? It should be printed on the case label.

If I do reset it, I'll lose all my settings, right ?
Correct.

Yes it's normal. See the description in the manual.

Last edited:
I would only configure a new router using a trusted web browser (Edge, in my case) on a trusted PC/laptop.

Right now, I would fully uninstall the 'app' you used (it is one more way to get your network hacked).

Log into your router via a browser, be sure WPS is disabled (Wireless, WPS). Be sure Remote Access is disabled (Administration, System).

Do not use an 'app' to configure your network. At least, not if you value your network security.

As for the stock firmware you are running. I wouldn't.

Any RMerlin-supported Asus router runs better on Eric's firmware. Period. In fact, many of the original RMerlin features have been adopted by Asus themselves (but not all of them, which still makes RMerlin's firmware the better choice).

The latest Alpha has especially improved the stability, features, and performance of the network for many.

(To access the alpha builds (when available), click on the 'Pre-beta test builds' link).

Here's a real-world feel-good read about the new Alpha from RMerlin.

Last edited:
If laptop, then just browse to the router LAN IP to use the firmware webUI to configure the router firmware.

My bad... I didn't mean I used my laptop. I wanted to say I had to use my cellphone...
I have a HUGE flu and it's killing me... I didn't see I wrote laptop instead of cellphone :

My laptop is already using the range 192.168.1.0/24. I thought that the address of the router would be something usual, 192.168.1.1. But it wasn't. I had to use the Asus app on my cellphone to see it was using 192.168.50.1. So I changed the IP to 192.168.50.10 and tried to connect to the router. Wouldn't work. I couldn't even ping it. Mind you, I did change the GW and the netmask (well not the netmask, no use)
I had to configure the WiFi with the app from my cellphone, then configure the LAN on the router. And then, I was able to connect to the router with the ethernet cable.

Login to the webUI and browse to subpage /ajax_coretmp.asp to confirm CPU temp <86C (85% Tj max).
Ahhh I did see this information on the forum, but I thought I could just copy the URL on my browser and go for it. Didn't know I had to log on once and then add the /ajax_coretmp.asp
I get this :
fanctrl_info = ; curr_cpuTemp = "37.280"; curr_rxData = fanctrl_info[3]; curr_coreTmp_2 = fanctrl_info[1]; curr_coreTmp_5 = fanctrl_info[2];
Not bad, I think :)

Yes, Hard Reset the firmware to is default settings before configuration from scratch.

FW Reset FAQ

Reset button/webUI Restore/node removal - clears settings in NVRAM; reboot restores fw defaults from CFE

Hard Reset via WPS button/webUI Restore+Initialize - also clears data logged in /jffs partition
Got it thanx :)

It can help avoid malicious websites.... one more layer of protection.
If it doesn't take too much ressource, I'll keep it.
No experience with this, sorry... should be do-able.

OE

Thanx a lot for your answers :)

I would only configure a new router using a trusted web browser (Edge, in my case) on a trusted PC/laptop.

Right now, I would fully uninstall the 'app' you used (it is one more way to get your network hacked).

Log into your router via a browser, be sure WPS is disabled (Wireless, WPS). Be sure Remote Access is disabled (Administration, System).

Do not use an 'app' to configure your network. At least, not if you value your network security.

Yes, sorry again. As I said just above, I meant to write "cellphone" and not "laptop". My bad :(
WPS and Remote Access are disabled
👍
As for the stock firmware you are running. I wouldn't.

Any RMerlin-supported Asus router runs better on Eric's firmware. Period. In fact, many of the original RMerlin features have been adopted by Asus themselves (but not all of them, which still makes RMerlin's firmware the better choice).

The latest Alpha has especially improved the stability, features, and performance of the network for many.

(To access the alpha builds (when available), click on the 'Pre-beta test builds' link).

Here's a real-world feel-good read about the new Alpha from RMerlin.

But now, if I got it all rigth, if I want to install the alpha release of Merlin, then I have to reset the router and lose all my settings, and restart the configuration from scratch, right ? (don't hit me :oops: )

Hard reset may not be a requirement but can be a roll of the dice at times. An hour up front versus possibly several hours over the next few weeks. Your call. It would suck to fritter away time over something which in the end gets cured by the hard reset which was initially foregone, as an expedient.

Moving from stock to RMerlin or vice versa, a full reset to factory defaults is required.

Too many moving parts to consider what bugs/glitches one may encounter otherwise.

As mentioned, simply flashing between the firmwares may seem like the previous settings are present, and working. But IME, that is only delaying the disaster awaiting.

Uninstall the app. You have no control over what future updates will seem 'defaults' and 'beneficial'.

You have even less control over other apps that are used to hack your phone and all other apps you have installed. And, many/most of these apps are doing something that you most likely need them to (they're not just malware, they're Trojans).

And the alpha version isn't too... alpha ? Shouldn't I wait for the stable release of the Merlin firmware ?
Just a question :)

And the alpha version isn't too... alpha ? Shouldn't I wait for the stable release of the Merlin firmware ?
Just a question :)
Alpha versions are for people who want to help debugging it, or have a serious issue with their current firmware. As it says in post #1 of that thread, they are offered with no support. "Normal users" should stick with the stable release.

For at least the past two years, I have run every release that RMerlin posts, with no issues.

Specifically for this latest (2nd) alpha, the network has never been this stable and performant for me.

The reason why I suggest it for you is to see/test for yourself in your network the full benefits of RMerlin's firmware.

After testing, decide for yourself if you are comfortable using it until the release final is ready. (Usually, just a few short weeks later).

if I want to install the alpha release of Merlin

You don't want to run Alpha/Beta releases. Choose between stock Asuswrt 3.0.0.6 Pro firmware and Asuswrt-Merlin 3.0.0.4 stable release. My advice is to explore your current 3.0.0.6 Pro firmware and see if it does what you need. This is the firmware the router was designed to work with.

You don't want to run Alpha/Beta releases. Choose between stock Asuswrt 3.0.0.6 Pro firmware and Asuswrt-Merlin 3.0.0.4 stable release. My advice is to explore your current 3.0.0.6 Pro firmware and see if it does what you need. This is the firmware the router was designed to work with.
So far, I like this router and the firmware.
I'd prefer to wait for stable version of Merlin firmware anyway. I mean, I will install it if I have an issue with the Asus firmware. Or if someone shows me it is BETTER to use the Merlin firmware anyway :)

What is better is up to you to decide. If you want to tinker with your router - go Asuswrt-Merlin. If you want to explore what's new in 3.0.0.6 Pro firmware - stay with newer base Asuswrt. If everything is good as it is - find more enjoyable things in life than staring at router's GUI. Your choice.

Well, you have gotten advice from most of the "experts." But Tech9 is spot on with his advice. Explore the current Asus firmware and get used to it. Especially if you are under the weather. If someone else has to come in to manage your network it is far easier for them to deal with factory firmware. The Asus firmware is pretty good these days with features such as DoT and DNSSEC that were tested and refined on Merlin firmware first.
And there is nothing wrong with using the Asus app to set up and manage your router. That is what it was designed to do! One recommendation is to not enable remote access. If you need to connect to your network from the Internet use a VPN server (OpenVPN and Wireguard work very well). Also best to leave your WIFI settings at default. Enable DFS channels may work well for you.

Yes, so it seems like the ones 'spot on' with their advice are the ones that don't use RMerlin firmware and/or even use Asus routers. :rolleyes:

I suggest that even pondering for a moment that RMerlin doesn't release firmware on his own. That he is supplied the GPL to further squash bugs and put his unique touches on it after going through the open source code with a fine tooth combo. And that is his 'alpha'. It is already far above what Asus delivers. Even if no RMerlin specific features are ever used.

Having an RMerlin supported router and using stock Asus firmware is like using a Chromebook when you have a PC.

Last edited:
Regarding alpha firmware builds, this just one of similar posts from the developer himself.
People should not be running alpha software unless then intend to TEST things. This is NOT a stable release, and people should stop recommending others to flash it.

Here's another.
Flashing alpha firmware on someone else's router is a very bad idea. I did no testing of these test builds beyond ensure it booted on one or two devices and looking for broken webui issues, and there are a few users that indicated that their routers got stuck in a boot loop following a factory default reset.

For at least the past two years, I have run every release that RMerlin posts, with no issues.

Specifically for this latest (2nd) alpha, the network has never been this stable and performant for me.

The reason why I suggest it for you is to see/test for yourself in your network the full benefits of RMerlin's firmware.

After testing, decide for yourself if you are comfortable using it until the release final is ready. (Usually, just a few short weeks later).

Yes, we're on the same page.

Hello :)
I didn't want to start a war, Asus firmware vs Merlin firmware.
Like I said, I used to have a R7800 (I still have it). From the start, I installed Voxel firmware and Kamoj add-on. Netgear firmwares aren't great, so the switch was obvious.
Stability and performance, that's what I'm looking for in a router. I had some WiFi problems with my R7800, weird ones. That's why I decided to get an Asus router and see how it works.
I'm an old geek, but a true geek :D
I'm no expert when it comes to network, but I'm still pretty good. My LAN is pretty basic, I'm the only one using it. I have 3 NAS, a few laptops (Windows Linux), a few iPads, Google Homes and Amazon Echos, a few WiFi electrical outlets, AppleTV and Nvidia Shield, and I think that is all. Seems a lot, but it's pretty basic ;)
I don't really play, so I'm not looking for the best faster less lag network.
But I want performance, and stability. Rock stable. The best WiFi coverage.

So I'll do whatever it takes to have those. Asus firmware or Merlin firmware. Seems that the Asus firmware is pretty good and stable, so...

Have a great week-end, everyone :)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!