What's new

NETGEAR Nighthawk X6S; Adds MU-MIMO, Alexa Support

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Your internet speed on that device will drop if you reached your USB adapter's limit, no matter what router you had, even MU-MIMO wouldn't really have helped you there. I think you are forgetting that LAN and WAN traffic share the same bandwidth on your adapter, maxing out one will create a bottle neck for the other.

Also you overestimate the number of people probably even owning a NAS or doing LAN transfers. I'm fairly certain a vast majority of people use USB drives for backup and file transfers, and that too many don't know you can even connect a drive to a router. I'm willing to bet in most homes in the US an R7000, AC68U, WRT1900AC are more than good enough. I've given a number of high end routers away to family and friends after testing: R9000, R8000, D7800, R7500v2, R7000, D7000 and none of the people I gave those to, use them for anything other than connecting to the internet. I even gave away my ReadyNAS 104 and it's not used very often.

Last edited:
Believe it was Acer, checking now, the $249.99 Spin 1 is sold at Target and it shows as MU-MIMO supporting on Acer's site so it might be that.

Not sure if it was this exact model:
https://www.target.com/p/acer-spin-...ook-turquoise-blue-sp111-31-c2w3/-/A-52152149
Acer's site mentions MU-MIMO
https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/series-features/spin1

I'll get a pic/model if I see it in person again. I definitely remember seeing the MU-MIMO sticker.
That's good enough. Thanks.

Granted I'd never buy or recommend an Acer, Sony or HP with their build quality issues and after sales support lol, I usually stick to Asus or Dell and sometimes Lenovo when somone asks a reccomendation.

Last edited:
I actually wish others followed suit, and didn't allow forcing 40Mhz as an option.

The Orbi that I have here forced 40MHz. channel width on 2.4GHz. Which made me very unhappy. Since I only have one client on 2.4 GHz., a wifi multi-function printer, I just plugged it in directly to the router and turned off 2.4GHz. Now the 2.4GHz. band is open to my neighbors without my pointless 40MHz. wide signal taking up half of that band. If I hadn't been able to plug the printer directly into the router, I would have used an ethernet bridge to put the printer on 5GHz.

I wonder why we still don't have at least smartphones making use of 160MHz channel width on the 5GHz band? If they aren't going to give then 3-4 stream WiFi radios, they should at least expand the channel width.

I dont think so. Even with Wave 2 router on wave 1 client. its hard for the 2 clients to get the needed bandwidth.

You have a valid use case - but even there, better clients will improve things - most consumer laptops might only have a single stream adapter, so they're trying to drink from a waterfall with a straw... and that takes up airtime for all associated clients...

In WiFi - time is the fire which all burn - so be quick about it.

I wonder why we still don't have at least smartphones making use of 160MHz channel width on the 5GHz band? If they aren't going to give then 3-4 stream WiFi radios, they should at least expand the channel width.

Because 160MHz BW is not so easy - from the DAC in the chipsets to the antennas on the devices - it's a big challenge, as they have to support 20MHz/40Mhz in 2.4GHz, Bluetooth in 2.4GHz, and then all the 5GHz mess... and the emphasis is actually on Bluetooth for smartphones and as such, low gain for a better pattern (in the pocket, on the desk, next to the head)

Smartphones are porcupines anyways with antennae - GPS, WiFi (dual band), GPS, 2G/3G/4G/LTE across many bands, and then we have SAR restrictions...

Believe it was Acer, checking now, the $249.99 Spin 1 is sold at Target and it shows as MU-MIMO supporting on Acer's site so it might be that.

Basically a convertible - not sure if this is device you're referencing... google says yes however...

acer_spin1.jpg

At the price point ($249 USD) - I'd this is more of a Chromebook - so that's a value add if one likes Windows.

But the laptop/tablet/convertible thing - going to drive RF nuts... not that most folks care...

it seems new smartphone including the One PLus 5 and Samsung S8 started coming with MU-MIMO AC support means we are about to enter the mu mimo phase. There is already a brand manufacturing mu mimo adaptor for cheap.

Its not about the bandwidth . It is all about how many devices can get the same or similar bandwidth at the same time.

so switching even in micro seconds are avoided.

But i was wonder even if the mu-mimo is enabled and 3 clients with various spatial stream say 1x1 , 2x2, 3x3.

How can it club into 1 group As each is seperate group.

If it is so assuming it can club 1x1 , 2x2 . each 3 devices means a 5th device with 3x3 may not get the actual or even half the bandwith. Its so ideal all these 4 device do traffic at the same time. But at a given time if it does then the need for the 2nd 5ghz band is mandate so that every device get the needed bandwidth.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MY7PL10/?tag=snbforums-20

wave_2_bw_usage_in_practical.png

it clearly explains how the 4 way lane or spatial stream can work at the same time for multiple devices of mixed combination.

For now the limitaiton is it can talk to 3 devices at the same time.

It seems we dont see much practically scenario's. I believe its time for snb forum to post reviews as a video's as how closed environment the devices are tested. Which atleast claims 99% ideal condition for it work the claimed speed by the manufacture's but mostly new devices takes age's to mature with the right firmware.

It seems we dont see much practically scenario's. I believe its time for snb forum to post reviews as a video's as how closed environment the devices are tested. Which atleast claims 99% ideal condition for it work the claimed speed by the manufacture's but mostly new devices takes age's to mature with the right firmware.
Huh? I don't understand what you are asking.

these high end wave 2 routers claiming impossible traffic possibility with non available clients. Even with same router paired which snb reviewed.

it would be good if the testing done is recorded and posted in youtube for our views. What manufacture's claim is atleast 70% efficient or not .

As the best possible way that you do review in closed environment as per you test practice.

Share us some videos of it so that it will be usefull for many to decide to go for it.

Thanks for clarifying. The test procedures are documented in the "How We Test" articles. I have neither the time or skills to produce videos.

When the new MU-MIMO process is finished, it will be documented in its own article. It will use over-the-air, not direct connection.

So the MU-MIMO Acer at Target, I was originally talking about was a 15" E5, in addition to the Spin 1.

Attachments

• IMG_0127.JPG
    IMG_0127.JPG
    73.8 KB · Views: 624
  • IMG_0128.JPG
    IMG_0128.JPG
    63.2 KB · Views: 649
Thanks for clarifying. The test procedures are documented in the "How We Test" articles. I have neither the time or skills to produce videos.

When the new MU-MIMO process is finished, it will be documented in its own article. It will use over-the-air, not direct connection.

Just use a camera like GOPRO . Even if so. Just use the Screen recorder in the pc which is used to test this.

Either works for members and new user's helps a lot in decide

I think the current system is fine, I can scan though information make notes if needed without having to forward and rewind a video to find what i need, for me written information is preferable. That's just my view. If I wanted videos I would watch the poorly made (in my view) ones on CNET which really don't help me decide on the tech I need, or more often don't need...

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!