What's new

Netgear XR500 wifi issues

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Gradyj14

Occasional Visitor
Hello, so I just switched from 450 mbps Charter internet to 1 gig Fiber.

Right before we switched over from charter to fiber I ran a speed test.

5GHz wireless:

442 down 21 up.

Wired:

454 down 22 up

After fiber was installed:

Wired:

937 down 246 up

5GHz wireless:

75 down 120 up

I have a XR500 router (purchased on February 8th 2021) with certified Cat 6A cables.
I've tried a factory reset and various other "tips" from YouTube, Google and the netgear forums. Nothing has helped. It's actually gotten worse. Firmware is up to date and everything.

Anyone ever had an issue like this before? Thanks in advance.

It is a common courtesy to wait at least 24 hours before bumping your own thread (much less 'demand' an answer).

This is an international forum, let the people that know, have the time to wake up, find/read your post and maybe have a coffee first before they decide if they can help or not. ;)

When you did a factory reset, what steps did you perform afterward? What firmware are you using? What devices are you using to test with?

Have you powered down your entire network infrastructure, including your modem/ONT for at least 20 minutes (I wait for 60 minutes or more), unplugging all connected devices from each other (whether they are AC power cords (from both the wall and the equipment itself, if possible), Ethernet cables, USB devices, etc.) and then starting with the modem/ONT, power it up and wait for it to be fully stable, before powering up the router and testing at each subsequent step?

The more details you give of what you've actually done, the better the chance of getting a helpful response back.

Fully Reset Router and Network

@L&LD OP posted Sunday night. It's Tuesday morning. A bump is fine. I also don't see him "demanding" an answer.

@Gradyj14 You used the same router before and after changing to fiber, correct? Do you know if the router changed channels? Did you change any wireless settings?

My apologies! I should get to bed. :oops:

5GHz wireless:

75 down 120 up

Are you sure that it is really 5GHz? There is such strange option in some NG routers such as "Smart Connect". I.e. you do not know what band is used 2.4GHz or 5GHz... I'd suggest to disable this option for a test.

Voxel.

@L&LD OP posted Sunday night. It's Tuesday morning. A bump is fine. I also don't see him "demanding" an answer.

@Gradyj14 You used the same router before and after changing to fiber, correct? Do you know if the router changed channels? Did you change any wireless settings?
Sorry if I came across rude. That wasn't my intention. I just started to question whether or not I posted in the correct place.

Yes exact same router about 90 mintues apart from time of disconnect (charter) and reconnect (fiber).

I used a wifi analyzer and changed channels. It only helped slightly. There is only 1 other 5GHz wifi signal around me.

I already tried a factory reset as well. No luck.
Also disabled QoS. That helped very little.

Are you sure that it is really 5GHz? There is such strange option in some NG routers such as "Smart Connect". I.e. you do not know what band is used 2.4GHz or 5GHz... I'd suggest to disable this option for a test.

Voxel.
According to my phone and router homepage that's 5GHz. I tried disabling "smart connect". And disabling 20/40 mhz coexist or whatever it was.

Still getting low speeds. Managed to get 250- 350 DL for a bit. But that's a far cry from what it should be getting on 5GHz.

It is a common courtesy to wait at least 24 hours before bumping your own thread (much less 'demand' an answer).

This is an international forum, let the people that know, have the time to wake up, find/read your post and maybe have a coffee first before they decide if they can help or not. ;)

When you did a factory reset, what steps did you perform afterward? What firmware are you using? What devices are you using to test with?

Have you powered down your entire network infrastructure, including your modem/ONT for at least 20 minutes (I wait for 60 minutes or more), unplugging all connected devices from each other (whether they are AC power cords (from both the wall and the equipment itself, if possible), Ethernet cables, USB devices, etc.) and then starting with the modem/ONT, power it up and wait for it to be fully stable, before powering up the router and testing at each subsequent step?

The more details you give of what you've actually done, the better the chance of getting a helpful response back.

Fully Reset Router and Network

Yes sir. Tried all that. I must just be missing a strange setting.

Still getting low speeds. Managed to get 250- 350 DL for a bit. But that's a far cry from what it should be getting on 5GHz.
What is Windows reporting for link rate? Open a command window and type netsh wlan show interfaces when you're associated and you should see both transmit and receive link rates

Managed to get 250- 350 DL for a bit. But that's a far cry from what it should be getting on 5GHz.

So you have a gig connection over wifi AC 5Ghz the max your going to get is about 600mbps in a perfect world. Average 400 to 500mbps add any interference and it will drop from there. Over wired connection 940/940 should be possible with a XR500.

So you have a gig connection over wifi AC 5Ghz the max your going to get is about 600mbps in a perfect world. Average 400 to 500mbps add any interference and it will drop from there. Over wired connection 940/940 should be possible with a XR500.
I'm just confused why I'm getting slower speeds over 5GHz with 1 gig fiber than I did with 450mbps charter internet.

What is Windows reporting for link rate? Open a command window and type netsh wlan show interfaces when you're associated and you should see both transmit and receive link rates
I will check when I get home from work. Thank you

Says I'm getting 433 mbps recieve/transmit but speedtest.net and other tests are below 200 mbps for download and around 240 for upload. It definitely feels slow.

Hmm. If you are using a two stream AC device and are close to the router and the router is set for 80 MHz or 20/40/80 MHz channel width, you should be seeing 866 Mbps link rate.

~ 200 Mbps throughput isn't that unusual for that link rate. So you are now getting those speeds consistently?

Have you tried another speedtest website, BTW?

Could you please post a screenshot of the netsh wlan show interfaces output?

Says I'm getting 433 mbps recieve/transmitbut speedtest.net and other tests are below 200 mbps for download and around 240 for upload. It definitely feels slow.
Hmm. If you are using a two stream AC device and are close to the router and the router is set for 80 MHz or 20/40/80 MHz channel width, you should be seeing 866 Mbps link rate.

~ 200 Mbps throughput isn't that unusual for that link rate. So you are now getting those speeds consistently?

Have you tried another speedtest website, BTW?

Could you please post a screenshot of the netsh wlan show interfaces output?
Sorry I didn't see this before.
I tried uploading a picture and it says the file is too large for the server to process? Even though I dumbed down my phone camera to 9 MP.
I can try it again.

Honestly I'm just so confused on how I can lose 200+ mbps over wifi going from Charter to Fiber. Literally nothing else changed.

I've tried speedtest.net, speakeasy.net and the generic google one. All come up with very similar results.

The "file too large" warning is typical when trying to send large files. How big is the file you're trying to send? What is telling you the file is too big? Your email application?

The Intel 9462 is a single stream adapter. So that's why the link rate is 433 Mbps. That's the maximum AC single stream rate.

So where we are is your wireless upload throughput has increased from 21 Mbps with the old service to 240 Mbps. Download has decreased from 442 Mbps to 200 Mbps.

Given the 433 Mbps maximum link rate of your adapter, I suspect the 442 Mbps test was done over Ethernet. If you didn't disconnect Ethernet when you ran the Wi-Fi test (and vice-versa) that could be the reason.

If you want higher Wi-Fi throughput, upgrade your wireless adapter to an Intel AX200 or variant. Note, however, your notebook might not allow you to do it. For around $20, it's worth a shot.

The "file too large" warning is typical when trying to send large files. How big is the file you're trying to send? What is telling you the file is too big? Your email application?

The Intel 9462 is a single stream adapter. So that's why the link rate is 433 Mbps. That's the maximum AC single stream rate.

So where we are is your wireless upload throughput has increased from 21 Mbps with the old service to 240 Mbps. Download has decreased from 442 Mbps to 200 Mbps.

Given the 433 Mbps maximum link rate of your adapter, I suspect the 442 Mbps test was done over Ethernet. If you didn't disconnect Ethernet when you ran the Wi-Fi test (and vice-versa) that could be the reason.

If you want higher Wi-Fi throughput, upgrade your wireless adapter to an Intel AX200 or variant. Note, however, your notebook might not allow you to do it. For around $20, it's worth a shot.
It was just a picture I took with my phone and tried to upload it via "attach files" right here on the forum.

The test was done over wifi on my laptop.
With no other devices on the wifi and no ethernet cables plugged into the XR500 router.

So I have no idea why my XR500 router is putting out a 200+ slower MBPS signal with my 1 gig fiber than it did with 450 MBPS Charter.

It's not just my laptop or my phone, it's every device I try WIFI on. It's cringe worthy.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!