What's new

Network Segment for Host to Host Reliable Traffic

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jflowers

New Around Here
I have a complex home system with many host devices spread across 7 networks including a wired network that cascades through as may as 4 network switches. To begin simplifying have just added a home network as follows: T-Mobile Home Modem <=> Asus RT86U Router <=> both wired and wireless devices. This new setup performs very well and I plan on extending it to the entire area with aimesh connections. With a large number of Ethernet nodes of some age (<30 years) converting to Cat 6 cables is not really an attractive option. I have a number of devices that are Ethernet only so I have been testing various VONets devices to act as a bridge between the RT86U network and the Ethernet port on those devices. Some may have static ip addresses (example 192.168.1.x) while the RT86U configures for 192.168.50.xxx. I'm looking for advice on accommodating the 192.168.x devices for the RT86U router while not giving up the aimesh capability elsewhere or interfering with my legacy 192.168.x networks. So far I have not succeeded with either reconfiguring the RT86U for 192.168.x or the VONets bridge device.

Welcome to the forums @jflowers.

What router do you have specifically? Is it the RT-AC86U, or the RT-AX86U?

You need to give us a better description or better yet, a diagram of the overall network setup before helpful advice can be offered. There is no point guessing and you correcting our assumptions, repeatedly.