What's new

Network Storage Question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Ebartone

Occasional Visitor
Hello Everyone,

If I have a choice (and I do), would it be more:

1) Cost effective.
2) Better performance.

To use a dedicated NAS for network storage (such as WDLive 3T Unit), or an external hard drive with USB 3 off the back of the AC68 Router for network storage?

(Added the smile because I've always wanted to try that)

attaching a hdd to the router should be the most cost effective, if you already have the router. a dedicated nas, however, should offer the best performance. how the product you mentions compares to using a fast drive attached to the router, i don't know. since your focus with this thread is on NAS' in general, you really should take this to that area of the forum.

Thanks Sinshiva

Thanks much - actually the question was not about Nas's - I know about those - I was curious how quickly this router can access a USB 3 connected HD compared to dedicated network storage. I appreciate your feedback - If the AC68 access and ability to access across a network on the USB 3 is even close to network storage, I'd probably choose to spend less money on a dedicated unit and use with the router. A previous router I had used a USB 2 and I had connected a hard drive to that, but for whatever reason the router was very slow in accessing the HD. I'm hoping though that things have improved through the years - sound like they have from what you've recommended. Thanks!

well, i believe some have recently reported speeds of 60mb/s+ with a drive attached to the router, but a lot of others have complained about things like DLNA and such. also, some people can't get some drives to connect to the USB3 port where they can with the USB2. kinda hit and miss, if you ask me

The Best would be a freenas box.. If you want full gigabit speed(110 megabytes a sec). The router can give you about 30 megabytes a second... If that enough then get a usb 3.0 hdd..
About 400 bux you can build a nice box.
Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk