What's new

network structure with AX58U, AC86U, AC68U, wireguard, TMobile 280mb/40mb internet, MQTT broker, ad blocker

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dominatorstang

Occasional Visitor
I am trying to restructure my network and looking for some advice/experience. Because of having a Tmobile gateway I use wireguard peer to peer for hosting outside my network through a VPS, most of that traffic is music and nextcloud service. LAN has around 30 devices on it, WLAN has around 60 devices on it.

I see that the AX58U may be getting wireguard in the GUI from merlin soon, I currently host wireguard with a VM on my home server. With this my thought is to purpose the devices in the manner below, but I am torn with the AX58 vs AX68 processing power as the gateway and a few other thoughts.

TMobile Gateway - single connection to Asus router WAN, not using onboard WiFi6. Speed is usually 280/40 measured at ASUS router, but 5% of time grabs new cell band and drops to 20/5 for a moment.
RT-AC86U - Internet Gateway and router, QOS, disabled WiFi, ad blocker.
RT-AX58U - main wireless AP, add wireguard peer to peer. Maybe make for only AX traffic.
2x RT-AC68U - use for other AP's, MQTT broker. Maybe make for only AC an N traffic.
Cisco 2960X - main 24 port switch

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!