What's new

Network Switch and Ethernet Cable???

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Checksum47

New Around Here
Hey All,
I currently run a mostly Wi-Fi based Home Network but am in the process of remodeling most of my home so I wanted to take this time to run Ethernet cables and only use Wi-Fi for things like iPhones and iPads and possibly a few Nest cameras and a Nest Thermostat.
I recently upgraded my old Motorola Surfboard SBG6580 modem/router to a Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 Model C7000.
I have gone thru and figured out that I will need at least 14-15 Cat 5/6/7 ethernet runs so Im looking for a nice compatible Switch to go with my Nighthawk. I was looking at a Netgear ProSafe GS716Tv3 Ethernet Switch / GS716T-300NAS. Also, I currently have Charter Spectrum Internet and I have the 60 mbps speed.
I have a stupid question. If I have a spot like say a TV, that has a video game console such as a PS4 or Xbox One that needs internet/ethernet and also a Dish Network Hopper/Joey that also would benefit from being plugged into Ethernet, Can I just run 1 Ethernet cable from my switch and some how split it at the wall jack in to 2 separate Ethernet jacks/connections? Probably not, but I am hoping someone here can straighten me out on that...
And I also have another stupid question... I figure since this is the only time I want to be messing around in my walls, should I future-proof and use Cat 7 cable? Or is that extreme over kill? I know that my ISP doesnt provide speeds any where near what Cat 7 can handle but again, I would like to futureproof.

Thanks for any help...
Matt

splitting is a poor idea, instead of 1Gb/s you get 100Mb/s , 1/10th of the bandwidth for just 2 ports.

Rather use a simple ethernet switch or even a wifi router as both access point and switch.

So I should just run a 2nd ethernet cable to whatever I need and put in a wall plate that has 2 or 3 or 4 ethernet connections and do them all individually...

So I should just run a 2nd ethernet cable to whatever I need and put in a wall plate that has 2 or 3 or 4 ethernet connections and do them all individually...

Either run multiple cables or at the location where it would be useful to have multiple devices install a small 4 - 5 port un managed switch which will cost you in the range of $15 - $25 or as suggested repurpose any old routers you have as switches by turning of the radios if they had WiFi and turning off DHCP.

And as far as the cabling, put in the best stuff you can in the walls. We ran 400Mhz rated wire back in 1997 in my parents house and gigabit works perfect today.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!