What's new

New Asus RT-87U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

you should implement this on your custom firmware.

That won't do any good, since most people move from stock to my firmware, so they will still be set with their USB 3.0 port running at USB 2.0 speed.

This trend can be seen by the number of folks going from stock FW to my FW, and wondering why their OpenVPN server is suddenly enabled - that's because Asus changed the way one of the OpenVPN nvram setting worked, effectively breaking compatibility with my firmware. I'm currently not really hot to the idea of having to change to a different nvram setting, and then have to deal with all the users wondering why their OpenVPN is suddenly NOT enabled anymore, as they failed to read the changelog.

Doubt they will retool the hardware. Never seen that before!

Well if i am correct Asus, and Netgear moved the usb3 port to the front of the router. To help against usb3 interference. Merlin would probably know more then me, but i swear i think that's the reason behind the port being on the front of the router.

If I had a guess maybe sometime qtr 4 of this year, but could be sooner. It's a guessing game really, and no one really gonna be able to give you a date of release. Until Asus releases that info, I wouldn't expect it this month though. With the release of there newest router the RT-AC87R/U.
Yea I just found an article saying 3rd or 4th quarter. Trying the R8000 now. It's really fast (quicker than my N66U) and great range but a little buggy. 5G WI-FI ISSUES with my mobile devices and lack of built in scheduling. Would love to compare the Asus. Just have to wait a while longer.

Yea I just found an article saying 3rd or 4th quarter. Trying the R8000 now. It's really fast (quicker than my N66U) and great range but a little buggy. 5G WI-FI ISSUES with my mobile devices and lack of built in scheduling. Would love to compare the Asus. Just have to wait a while longer.

Well I just recently switched from the Netgear R7000, to the Asus AC87R. If you are waiting for Netgear support to fix issue's, you're up a shirt's creek with that. As I had the R7000 for 6 months, and there was very little work done. The R7000 still has issue's with there factory firmware. Only running DD WRT on the R7000 made it mostly stable, and usable. Asus is quicker to push firmware's, and with Merlin doing his work on it, you are better off with an Asus router imo.

I just read the cnet review. I must say I'm pretty surprised to see the AC68U demolish the AC87U on the 2.4 ghz band. Is this likely to improve with firmware upgrades or is this a hardware related deficiency?

I just read the cnet review. I must say I'm pretty surprised to see the AC68U demolish the AC87U on the 2.4 ghz band. Is this likely to improve with firmware upgrades or is this a hardware related deficiency?

1) New firmware and drivers 87u vs Mature firmware and drivers 68u.

2) Never Trust cnet testing

Let a new product mature for awhile...shesssssssssshhhhh

I disagree strongly. A product should be mature when it hits the market. For the prices they are asking, that's the least I can expect.

NONE of the latest tech gadgets are bug free, regardless of their price, and never will be simply because not every real world situation can be accounted for by developers in the lab. Many have to wait to be found AFTER the product comes out. That is true with every computer, printer, cell phone, tablet, router, etc. That will never change. What is important is how quickly the manufacturers are at coming out with fixes for the bugs. Some are better than others. Others are really awful.

Bitching about that won't change it...its just how things are.

NONE of the latest tech gadgets are bug free, regardless of their price, and never will be simply because not every real world situation can be accounted for by developers in the lab. Many have to wait to be found AFTER the product comes out. That is true with every computer, printer, cell phone, tablet, router, etc. That will never change. What is important is how quickly the manufacturers are at coming out with fixes for the bugs. Some are better than others. Others are really awful.

Bitching about that won't change it...its just how things are.

I agree, to a certain extent. Bugs is one thing, a mature product another.

Netgear is rushing their products to market to soon and let the buyers play beta testers. That's just not right. A lot of countries don't seem to have any quality control whatsoever. If you look at manufacturers like Apple for example, they can show you how it should be done.

Anyways. We are entering off-topic teritory.

Wow, I clicked the link when I probably shouldn't and it look like it sent me to his Router settings page like a remote link. I looked through all the different settings but didn't touch anything as I'm not a jerk like that, but that seems awfully dangerous to post such access. I don't know what the heck that was.:confused:

That's a demo of the UI. Hosted by Asus :) You are supposed to play around with it.

Netgear is rushing their products to market to soon and let the buyers play beta testers. That's just not right. A lot of countries don't seem to have any quality control whatsoever. If you look at manufacturers like Apple for example, they can show you how it should be done..
The rush to market is NOT unique to NETGEAR. ASUS and other consumer networking manufacturers play the same game.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!