What's new

New Asus RT-87U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

How do you know this?

Asus has a similar, official page here:

http://event.asus.com/2012/nw/dummy_ui/EN/Main_LogStatus_Content.html

Also, that AWS router mockup has its clock permanently set to a fixed time (14:50:36 for me) if you go to the System Log, wait a minute, reload the page, and check the current time again:

http://ec2-54-202-251-7.us-west-2.compute.amazonaws.com:8080/Main_LogStatus_Content.asp

Now, whether this page is meant to be public or is intended for private demonstration, I don't know. That depends on where the poster got the link from.

Just confirmed with ASUS that emulator is not from ASUS.

How do you know this?

Because I have seen other Asus Demos and they were also hosted on Amazon's cloud. Just like this one. The address points to a VM instance on Amazon AWS (EC2).

It's very unlikely that a private consumer would have his personal router's GUI on Amazon. They would have to "scrape" the whole web system off of the router and then put it up on Amazon (including setting up a virtual machine with webserver). Oh, and they'd have to pay for this too.

If you do a google search on the address (ec2-54-202-251-7.us-west-2.compute.amazonaws.com) you will find many references that it is an Asus demo site. Has been used for older models before.

I think it's safe to assume that this is an Asus demo.

I am checking with HQ and Sales now. It could be a private demo for the upcoming resellers but at this point in time we do not show any open emulators in our databases in the US or HQ R&D.

Again, this exact web address has been used in many occasions to demonstrate different Asus routers. It was up for the AC68, the 56 and many more models. Always in the context of a demo. Heck, it even appears in the Asus knowledgebase.

I don't understand why you guys make such a big fuzz about it. Even if it's not by Asus (which I highly doubt): Who cares?

Must be Asus both links Merlin posted show the same name in the client list. JIEMING

Last edited:
1) New firmware and drivers 87u vs Mature firmware and drivers 68u.

2) Never Trust cnet testing

Let a new product mature for awhile...shesssssssssshhhhh

How dare you challenge the wise and all knowing Dong Ngo. The guy has a voice as smooth as butter and a mind of a modern renaissance man. In all seriousness though, the 68U's benchmarks have not changed much since launch. Why would we expect the 87 to improve considerably when the 68u has not ?

Also the CPU driving the 68U's 2.4 ghz (and 5ghz) radios is a dual core 800 MHz Broadcom processor, while the 87U's 2.4 ghz radio relies on a lesser single core version of that same processor, albeit at a higher clock speed.

So basically what we have here is a beast, as long as your using the quantenna processor with a 4x4 client, but it will never likely compete with the 68u on the 2.4 ghz spectrum due to more limited resources on that end.

Last edited:
How dare you challenge the wise and all knowing Dong Ngo. The guy has a voice as smooth as butter and a mind of a modern renaissance man. In all seriousness though, the 68U's benchmarks have not changed much since launch. Why would we expect the 87 to improve considerably when the 68u has not ?

Also the CPU driving the 68U's 2.4 ghz (and 5ghz) radios is a dual core 800 MHz Broadcom processor, while the 87U's 2.4 ghz radio relies on a lesser single core version of that same processor, albeit at a higher clock speed.

So basically what we have here is a beast, as long as your using the quantenna processor with a 4x4 client, but it will never likely compete with the 68u on the 2.4 ghz spectrum due to more limited resources on that end.

The cpu in the RT-AC87 is a Dual Core 1Ghz broadcom. There is also two 500mhz cpu's for the 5Ghz radio. Also the cpu for the 2.4Ghz is a 320Mhz I believe.

https://wikidevi.com/wiki/ASUS_RT-AC87U

Last edited:
The cpu in the RT-AC87 is a Dual Core 1Ghz broadcom. There is also two 500mhz cpu's for the 5Ghz radio. Also the cpu for the 2.4Ghz is a 320Mhz I believe.

https://wikidevi.com/wiki/ASUS_RT-AC87U

There's a few errors on that page. For instance the CPU is a BCM4709, not BCM4708.

The Quantenna CPU is single-core ARC 700 @ 500 MHz.

Code:
quantenna # cat /proc/cpuinfo 

Processor Family: ARC 700 [0x33]
CPU speed :     500.00 Mhz
Timers:         TIMER1 TIMER0 
Interrupt Vect Base:    0x88026800 
Peripheral Base: NOT present; assuming 0xCOFC0000 
Data UNCACHED Base (I/O): start 0xc0 Sz, 1024 MB 
Bogo MIPS :     248.21
ARC700 MMU Ver [2]
   PAGE SIZE 8k
   JTLB 128 x 2 = 256 entries
   uDTLB 8 entr, uITLB 4 entr
TLB Refill "will NOT" Flush uTLBs
Detected I-cache : 
  Type=2 way set-assoc, Line length=32, Size=16K (enabled)
Detected D-cache : 
  Type=4 way set-assoc, Line length=32, Size=16K (enabled)
Extensions:
   MPY: 32x32 with ANY Result Reg   MAC MPY: Dual 16 x 16 and 32 x 16
   DCCM: N/A  ICCM: N/A
   CRC: N/A,   SWAP: Present   NORM: Present
   Min-Max: Present,   Barrel Shifter: Present
   Ext Arith Insn: Present
Floating Point Extension: N/A

Last edited:
No doubt you are right. I only went off WikiDev. I was mostly trying to point out the main cpu was not a single core 1Ghz, but daul core 1Ghz in reference to AsusFan saying it was a single core just a little faster. :)

Hi

Here is my RT-AC87U

Attachments

• 088.jpg
    088.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 598
Hi

Here is my RT-AC87U

Great shot. I think it is lying to you (it's ears are growing). :)

What antennae have you used there? Do you have a link?

What type of improvements did you get with those Super Power Supply antennae?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!