What's new

New Dlink router experience or reviews

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Markardi

Occasional Visitor
Hey,

I was going to pick up another Dlink DIR-827 on sale and turn it into an AP, with the help of the guide on this site, but I saw a lot of new routers with product codes DIR-8xxL and all having the weird can shape. No one has posted their experience with them yet nor are there many reviews so I was wondering if any here actually has worked with them? Particularly the DIR-826L, DIR-845L, DIR-855L, or DIR-850L.

The 850L is an AC wireless router but as nothing in my house has AC it's somewhat pointless to me. The 855L seems to be the strongest of the bunch, but no one in Canada sells them. I can get the 826L which seems to be the can shaped equivalent to my current 827 but the one review on newegg (US site) is poor. Also, I hate how the marketing material for one is completely different from the others so it's not easy to compare.

Anyhoo, are these any good or should I look at another router turned AP? I'd want simultaneous dual band witch is hard to find in home grade strick APs like the Dlink DAP series (sorry, I'm just use to working with Dlink home stuff, I use Netgear's ProSecure stuff at work but hate the UI.)

Thanks,
Mark

If it's a WiFi router re-purposed as an Access Point (AP), why not get a $50 product? None of the router bells and whistles will be used/needed.

Hey Steve,

True, but my problem is I haven't found a $50 WiFi router or home grade AP that offers as good dual band transfer rates or signal range.

There are APs I can get, but none are simultaneous dual band .. or they are but they're commercial grade and $300. And for $50, I don't mind spending an extra $30 for say another DIR-827 that I know will have good wireless performance even if I am disabling some bells and whistles.

If you're aware of a router or AP that meets those conditions, I'm certainly open to suggestions.

Yes, simultanious is expensive and that's why it's cheaper to repurpose a router than to look for an AP with the capability. I can get another DIR-827 for $80 on sale which is simultanious dual band.

And yes, I have a couple clients which take advantage of 5GHz or getting a single band AP would have happened already.

Anyhoo, I guess back to my original question of has anyone had any experience with Dlink's new can shaped routers? DIR-855L or DIR-850L.

Thanks