What's new

New house - network help needed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Cookrd1

New Around Here
A friend is having a new stick-built house in a gated community. Inside one garage wall, they have installed a small covered opening. Inside this box is the telco and cable tv wiring. Each room has two cable tv outlets and one ethernet port. His cable tv company will provide him with cable internet access. I am only concerned about the internet part of this.

There is not room inside this wall-box for anything, so there will be a small shelf that will hold his cable modem. My friend does NOT want his wifi router located in the garage, but he also wants the ethernet ports to work in each of the rooms. He wants the wifi router to be in his office, not in the garage.

I am not familiar with this at all. How will DHCP work - basically, what does he really need so to make this work with the router in his office inside his house and the cable modem and all the ethernet cables going to all the rooms all coming to this wall-box in the garage?

The only thing I could think of was to put an ethernet switch in the garage with the modem and then plug the cables into it and then in his office he can have his wifi router, but how would this be configured for DHCP, etc? He wants his router in his office so he doesn't need to go to the garage should he need to reset it.

Thanks,
Bob

This setup requires two Ethernet cables to the location where the router will be. One to carry the Cable modem output to the WAN input on the router, the other to carry a LAN connection from the router back to the switch in the Garage.

A friend is having a new stick-built house in a gated community. Inside one garage wall, they have installed a small covered opening. Inside this box is the telco and cable tv wiring. Each room has two cable tv outlets and one ethernet port. His cable tv company will provide him with cable internet access. I am only concerned about the internet part of this.

There is not room inside this wall-box for anything, so there will be a small shelf that will hold his cable modem. My friend does NOT want his wifi router located in the garage, but he also wants the ethernet ports to work in each of the rooms. He wants the wifi router to be in his office, not in the garage.

I am not familiar with this at all. How will DHCP work - basically, what does he really need so to make this work with the router in his office inside his house and the cable modem and all the ethernet cables going to all the rooms all coming to this wall-box in the garage?

The only thing I could think of was to put an ethernet switch in the garage with the modem and then plug the cables into it and then in his office he can have his wifi router, but how would this be configured for DHCP, etc? He wants his router in his office so he doesn't need to go to the garage should he need to reset it.

Thanks,
Bob

Here is a solution assuming that all the coxial and Ethernet runs are home runs going directly from the box to a single wall fitting

DATA: Have the cable company bring the drop cable from the pole into the garage and terminate it in or near the wall box in the garage. Attach a splitter to the end of the coax with one leg connected to a jumper that is in turn is connected to the house run coaxial cable going to the jack where the router and modem will be located. Connect the cable modem to this jack and in turn the cable modem to the WAN port on the wireless router. Then connect an Ethernet cable to one of the LAN ports on the router and feed it back to the distribution box in the garage. In the garage install a switch with enough ports to feed as many jacks as you want to activate. Don't necessarily need a Gigabyte capable switch if your wiring isn't certified for that type of speeds. Use a short jumper cables to connect the internet to the switch. Then the cables from the LAN ports can be plugged into the switch. If the Ethernet cables aren't terminated hire someone that knows what they are doing to install the fittings. A pro with the right equipment will be able to test the cabling and connectors. An intermittent cable will drive you crazy. This arrangement has your modem and router next to each other for those times when you need to reset or to trouble shoot where you need to hook a PC directly to the modem.

VIDEO: If you only want two or three TVs connected you probably can get by using a three of four way splitter. (One leg for data and the other legs for TVs. ) More than three TVs and you may need to install a distribution AMP with multiple output ports. ) Just be sure the AMP is two way capable for interactive TV and data transmission.

Depending on the exact layout of the house you probably can make some adaptations and get the same results.

The less electronics you have to install in the garage the better as the temperature fluctuations and moisture will cause problems over time.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!