What's new

New Router, Budget £200, Best of the Best

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

GCWB

New Around Here
For the last 8 years I have been through router after router after router, perplexing technician after technician after technician. The problem is my house, it seems to have walls that destroy signal leaving black spots all around the house. The problem isn't our choice in routers because I am always very good at research, however I usually research based on reviews and price tag so that I can avoid learning the details.

So here I am once again. £200 as my maximum budget and a couple of questions. Please keep in mind my house from its center has about the radius of 100m, furthermore I would love it if the router supports a cabled hard drive for the network.

• What Router is the Best for £200 with range in mind?
  • Judging by my history, walls are preventing even the best routers from penetrating through our walls or floorboard, would it be wise to invest in a repeater, If so - what do you recommend?
  • What's the consensus on Homeplugs? Worth it?
  • Combining Homeplugs and a Router wouldn't cause a problem would it?

Our house is being redesigned and recabled currently, it's a complete overhaul and so we want to demolish this issue once and for all. This means wiring the house wouldn't be inconvenient. If this presents any options please inform me.

If it helps, I live in the UK and am on Bt Broadband. My work is very much media based and I do dabble in gaming - lag does my head in. Please forgive me for my lack of knowledge into this area of technology. I am now reading over the forums tutorial for the third time just to learn about it.

Kind Regards,

George.