What's new

Skynet New Skynet 7.5.9 Release

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

If your devices are extremely well behaved like mine (ahem) you may never see any outbound blocks 😁

Sometimes you just want to let things sit/settle for a few hours, or a day... then check back to see how things are working. Many times, log aggregation is done at intervals throughout the day... not something you would see immediately.
Agreed sometimes it is important to launch a long term campaign on the logs. Sometimes this might take longer then days. It is not abnormal to observe logs for weeks or even months. It depends on the situation.

OK one day later, logfile 0 bytes, I decided to remove Skynet, remove the swap file, restart router, install Skynet, unfortunately the log stays 0

I'm a relative noob, can anyone please point me in the right direction, below the message after installation regarding the swapfile

04-02-2024_140926.jpg

OK one day later, logfile 0 bytes, I decided to remove Skynet, remove the swap file, restart router, install Skynet, unfortunately the log stays 0

I'm a relative noob, can anyone please point me in the right direction, below the message after installation regarding the swapfile

View attachment 56202

Take a look at your /tmp/mnt/<USBDRIVELABEL>/skynet/skynet.cfg file... look under the "syslogloc=" and "syslog1loc=" items. Do these paths/locations point to the correct locations where your syslogs are located?

If not, look under Firewall -> option 11 (settings) -> option 10 (syslog location)... and correct the locations/paths. See if that does the trick?

Due to many syslog rows generated while blocking connections, that much that it made other trial and error in syslog harder, I tried to disable logging (temporary until I know what my issue actually is). But when trying turning it off, the cli pretty much just restarts.
Can anyone turn off and on the logs normally?

Last edited:
Take a look at your /tmp/mnt/<USBDRIVELABEL>/skynet/skynet.cfg file... look under the "syslogloc=" and "syslog1loc=" items. Do these paths/locations point to the correct locations where your syslogs are located?

If not, look under Firewall -> option 11 (settings) -> option 10 (syslog location)... and correct the locations/paths. See if that does the trick?
Thanks @Viktor Jaep
I went to Firewall -> option 11 (settings) -> option 10 (syslog location)... and corrected both locations/paths to /tmp/mnt/Skynet_fire/mtswap.swp

So far no changes, logfile doesn't grow and No data to display

I read a post of @dave14305 posting different commands that could help everyone who has this problem, I ran all of them, but nothing changes (complete Unix noob here)

Dave commands

See the responses to the commands Dave below

2.jpg

I have no idea what to do next :-(

Thanks @Viktor Jaep
I went to Firewall -> option 11 (settings) -> option 10 (syslog location)... and corrected both locations/paths to /tmp/mnt/Skynet_fire/mtswap.swp

So far no changes, logfile doesn't grow and No data to display
Sorry for the misunderstanding... but you want to put the correct paths to your syslog in these fields. Most likely /jffs/syslog.log and /jffs/syslog.log-1? But it could be a different path.

You definitely don't want to reference your .swp file here. After correcting these, give your router a fresh reboot, and see if that makes any difference?

Thanks @Viktor Jaep , I have no idea what I'm doing, I'm flying blind here

I changed both locations to :
/jffs/syslog.log
/jffs/syslog.log-1

Rebooted the router, I will wait till tomorrow midday for anything to show up in the log and it grows beyond 0 bytes

Due to many syslog rows generated while blocking connections, that much that it made other trial and error in syslog harder, I tried to disable logging (temporary until I know what my issue actually is). But when trying turning it off, the cli pretty much just restarts.
Can anyone turn off and on the logs normally?
You can also have Skynet remove its log entries from syslog: option 12 followed by 3.

You can also have Skynet remove its log entries from syslog: option 12 followed by 3.
So if I get a random reboot, I do that and can recover all the logs rows that happened like 6h ago inside General log/System log window? As it is, Skynet can fill that window in like 10 minutes ;-)

So if I get a random reboot, I do that and can recover all the logs rows that happened like 6h ago inside General log/System log window? As it is, Skynet can fill that window in like 10 minutes ;-)
Turn off Skynet logging for a bit?

Turn off Skynet logging for a bit?
Exactly what I did before.
But originally Skynet glitched when temporary trying to disable via 11, 3. Now it works all the sudden after reinstalling will full logging and disable the same way I tried to do previously.

Thanks @Viktor Jaep , I have no idea what I'm doing, I'm flying blind here

I changed both locations to :
/jffs/syslog.log
/jffs/syslog.log-1

Rebooted the router, I will wait till tomorrow midday for anything to show up in the log and it grows beyond 0 bytes
OK I let Skynet do it's thing all night, log file is still 0 bytes, in my old router the files grew before your eyes, HELP please

OK I let Skynet do it's thing all night, log file is still 0 bytes, in my old router the files grew before your eyes, HELP please
Looks like you need to go back to this post and find out where your log files actually are:

I did this and in my case my logs are located in different places to the default.
Code:
syslogloc="/opt/var/log/skynet-0.log"
syslog1loc="/tmp/syslog.log-1"
So I had to add these to skynet.

Does the new router get a real public IP?
Post the output of this command from SSH:
Code:
iptables -t raw -nvL

Last edited:
@Ripshod I found out where my logfiles are installed after a mindbogglingly hard search, remember I'm a total Unix command noob.
I found the logfiles in the following folders:
3.jpg

So if I'm not mistaken my logfiles are both in the /jffs folder
So I went to 11, 10, and input the location, as follows:

for the syslog.log file /jffs/syslog.log
for the syslog.log-1 file /jffs/syslog.log-1

If this doesn't work I'm completely bewildered what to do next, rights are correct as far as I can see -rw-rw-rw

It seems like your router isn’t directly facing the internet. What is the first part of your WAN IP address?
The router is connected to a cable modem from my provider, first part of the WAN IP is 85.147.
Until last December I had an RT-AC86U which was also connected directly to the cable modem providing the rest of the network IP's
In December my old router died on me, but it was working perfectly, I could see all the data in the Skynet tab in the router interface
I have used this configuration for years, and Skynet always gave me all the data, only after installing the new RT-AX88U Pro I don't see data and the logfile stays a steady 0 bytes

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!