What's new

New to Powerline - Does it ever drop off

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mobiledynamics

Occasional Visitor
I am faced with a very weird situation.
I need a ethernet drop from a location that cannot get cabled it.

All it will be doing is streaming video from both a production box (video files in production) or the WIP - work in progress BR feeds.

I am looking at the powerline equipment but am hesitant to do so.
How reliable are they .....meaning, will I ever need to power cycle them to get them back online.

Prior to even looking at Powerline...I was looking at Ruckus, as I have used their stuff and I know it ~works~.

Reliability is key....meaning, I cannot afford to have some constantly *messing* with it to get it back up and running....and or power reboot required.

For those running Powerline, how has your UPTIME been

Sure, Powerline drops occasionally. So does wireless. But if you've been happy with Ruckus, why not use it this time?

Wireless does not drop for me...at least in the sense of using AP - if not AP's generally flashed with DDWRT and then using them as client bridges. The only time it will drop is if I get a power brownout, and it loses power momentarily....and then the AP's will need a unplug/plug to get them working again. But this power issue is generally the norm of residential grade hardware as well. Cisco, Aruba, etc - don't exhibit this power issue blips...

What does not work is bandwidth in a heavily dense area like NYC and wireless in the air .....

So back on topic...and MOD, maybe you can move this over to the Powerline forum as well, as I noticed there is a more relevant forum. I went ahead and ordered a powerline kit just to put it in it's testing. The Powerline is 4% of what the total cost would be for me if I went with a Ruckus solution...