What's new

Nighthawk X8- R8500 Tri Band Quad Stream WiFi Router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Synology NAS DS415+ - Netgear R8500 - Imac 27" (Late 2015) - File Copy (File size 30.76GB) - Throughput 116MB/s- Wired Transfer - Hardly Slow.......

I imagine somewhere on your network there is a bottle neck.

Synology NAS DS415+ - Netgear R8500 - Imac 27" (Late 2015) - File Copy (File size 30.76GB) - Throughput 116MB/s- Wired Transfer - Hardly Slow.......

Ditto here. Been solid since my first post. Seeing wired transfer speeds always over 100MB/s and solid wifi on my various devices (have about 20 wifi devices with some devices like Sonos on 2g and non-AC devices on one 5g channel and AC on the other). Also have a guest network setup for the sitters and friends.

I am on the .50 firmware that was pulled, but have not experienced any problems with it. Been solid.

Ditto here. Been solid since my first post. Seeing wired transfer speeds always over 100MB/s and solid wifi on my various devices (have about 20 wifi devices with some devices like Sonos on 2g and non-AC devices on one 5g channel and AC on the other). Also have a guest network setup for the sitters and friends.

I am on the .50 firmware that was pulled, but have not experienced any problems with it. Been solid.

Agree with the throughput and solid Wifi its refreshing change from Asus routers - Miles ahead in stability, Range and throughput.

Over the last 1.5 Years. Used Airport Extreme, Asus 66, Asus 87u and Asus AC3200. The Netgear R8500 is miles ahead of them all and quite frankly the best most stable router I have used since Draytek many many many years ago.

GrinningShark do you have the .50 Release notes as curious what it contains.

I will check once I get home (heading back from a business trip). If I recall correctly there was only one thing listed in the notes and it was related to storage performance. I dont use mine for the USB ports or storage since I have a seperate dedicated NAS device.

I see solid 100 MB/s on LAN transfers as well going to a Synology DS1513+ and to be honest the router is quite stable even at this early stage. Enabled LAG but have not tested with multiple PCs yet. It does lack some features I would like, Jumbo Frame support for example. I bet this can be enabled with custom firmware.

I still do get high latency and slow speed test results when downloading large files from the internet however...doesn't seem to affect real world use however.

Looks like Netgear just released some new firmware. Version is 1.0.0.52 and has similar comments (in terms of what was fixed) to the 1.0.0.50 that was pulled.

.50 notes:
  • Improved performance on Router USB storage file upload.
.52 Notes (new today):
  • Fixes the internet upload low throughput issue when the USB storage is connected to the router.

May want to hold off. NETGEAR has another update coming next week, to address performance problems with R8500 <> R8500 bridge.

I have been holding the review pending their fix.

May want to hold off. NETGEAR has another update coming next week, to address performance problems with R8500 <> R8500 bridge.

I have been holding the review pending their fix.

That is nice to know.

Do you know if Netgear ever releases beta firmware like asus has? Also, how often does their firmware get updated? I am new to Netgear. Thanks

Good to know as this build didn't do anything for me. That being said Netgear has been very responsive on the forums regarding issues with this router...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Your test goes through the LAN ports but not through the WAN port.

My network is identical, I get 2x on the Asus AC3200 compared to the Netgear R8500 out to the internet.

Do you see these speeds on your LAN or out to the internet? I only get half on the Netgear out to the internet compared to Asus AC3200.

That is LAN speed. I am seeing my full WAN speed when running speed tests. I am on a 150/10 plan. Just tried right now and am seeing 175/12 reported. This is from a speed test over AC wifi on an iPad and I am the only one sucking bandwidth right now. I have seen that same speed on a wired device also. During the evenings, when my two kids are watching shows on their AppleTV boxes and wife is on VPN to her office network, I usually see speeds around the 120 to 140 mark, which is what I would expect due to time of day and other factors. Can't complain, I am happy.

Could anyone owning the R8500 please measure the height of the router with antennas in vertical position.

4814545903.png

Lan-Wan Speedtest. (Netgear R8500)

Its interesting because until 3 weeks ago I was getting 700Mb/s Upload also. Something has happened with Netvigator and it dropped to around 400-500Mb/s on Both the Asus AC3200 and the Netgear R8500.

I think the issue is with PCCW the ISP. Fibre line has checked out ok also. So Both the AC3200 and R8500 are giving about the same results. Wifi and Lan Wired transfers are much more stable and consistent on the R8500 compared to AC3200.

However If I connect direct to the Fibre Modem Lan port its back up toward 800MB/s So just not sure if a remote firmware has been flashed to the modem in the last few weeks.

Note that they are offering 10GB Fibre now...But just don't know how about to distribute it from their Fibre modem, So holding off.

Do you see these speeds on your LAN or out to the internet? I only get half on the Netgear out to the internet compared to Asus AC3200.

Last edited by a moderator:
Something has happened with Netvigator ...

Note that they are offering 10GB Fibre now...

Ah - hello fellow Hong Kong based forum member. Thanks for the heads-up, will re-try the R8500 whether it matches what I get on the Asus AC3200.

I am on the 10Gbps plan now since about a week, it is asymmetric and achieves up to 8Gbps down and 2Gbps up from my modem to the PCCW backhaul equipment (it is pitched as 10Gbps down / 2.5Gbps up based on their FTTH GPON technology in use). Real-life download bandwidth from the internet is obviously a lot less given broader internet infrastructure still building up to support that level. I get up to 2Gbps down and up against popular speed test sites. I do experience zippier general response, likely due to more powerful modem and other hardware. The fibre cabling as such is the same between their 1G and 10G offerings.

Have looked at using a D-Link DXS-1210 10GbaseT switch to distribute it, as you say, but the device is too noisy in a home environment. Haven't found a good solution. So am using the sole 10G port in the Netvigator modem to go via in-wall Cat 6 to my iMac via an AKiTiO Thunder2 10G Network Adapter, works well. Early days though for 10G, for sure. Hoping for a future router generation to provide 2 - 4 x 10GbaseT ports in addition to a bunch of gigabit ports.

. So am using the sole 10G port in the Netvigator modem to go via in-wall Cat 6 to my iMac via an AKiTiO Thunder2 10G Network Adapter, works well. Early days though for 10G, for sure. Hoping for a future router generation to provide 2 - 4 x 10GbaseT ports in addition to a bunch of gigabit ports.

Out of interest have you tried CAT 7 or CAT6a cabling for the 10G Fibre?

Out of interest have you tried CAT 7 or CAT6a cabling for the 10G Fibre?
6+ years ago when I renovated the apartment, only Cat 6 was available to put into the walls. Fortunately it is well capable to carry 10G over short distances (< 30m). For other cabling (e.g. from the wall socket to the device) I use Cat 7 but there is no practical difference.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!