What's new

ntpMerlin ntpMerlin v3.x

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

That’s a lot of effort. I am using AC86U, hope someone can test it out on your model.
I can put minsources up to the combined numbers of the following three source states.
Source state '*' = current best, '+' = combined, '-' = not combined
I thought state ^- is not good enough but then it still works even when I include those in minsources count.
the issue is when i enable an nts server the cloud flare one i just checked

You can edit them with a command line tool like kitty SSH or PuTTY SSH tools.

And use the ntpmerlin command to hiring up the menu.

I meant a way to show in GUI an output similar to the output of ntpq -4np without using ntpmerlin or any other CLI command via SSH.

Hello, i will dedicate this weekend to mount my new usb stick in the Ac86u and install enterware and ntpMerlin. Tips on basic settings to get started?
Thanks

Some basic tips (IMHO):

1) Use amtm to do all the setup.
- First format the new usb stick
- setup a swap partition
- install Entware
2) Install ntpmerlin. After installing, I would recommend:
- change time server from the default ntpd to chrony (option t)
- change storage location to usb (option s)
- the default chrony.conf file is pretty good. Depending on what country you are in, you could add a few timeservers closer geographically to you. Here is a list:

3) Consider a few more addons!
- scMerlin is always handy to have around
- if you plan on assigning IP addresses, YazDHCP is great

There are other addons as well. Research them and decide.

Last - if you like them, consider a donation to the developers for all their hard work:

Wow, thanks so much for the quick and complete reply, i live in italy and i will probably need to add some servers.
I have always sent donations for the developers and i will not miss this time too, time to test everything :)

Thanks again

From Boston the best time is from Apple and Cloudflare, respectively. They are both substantially better than pool.ntp.org. Perhaps the same is true in Italy. Cloudflare supports NTS encrypted NTP. An nslookup of time.apple.com returns five servers, so I use all five.
Lines in chrony.conf
Code:
ntsdumpdir /opt/var/lib/chrony
pool time.apple.com iburst maxsources 5
pool time.cloudflare.com nts
I wrote a script to show all available information about chrony status from the command line
Code:
#!/bin/sh
echo "==============================================================================="
echo -e "\e[91m\c"
chronyc -N authdata
echo -e "\e[0m\c"
echo "==============================================================================="
echo -e "\e[96m\c"
chronyc selectdata
echo -e "\e[0m\c"
echo -e "\e[95m\c"
chronyc tracking
echo " "
chronyc ntpdata | head -27 | tail -26
echo -e "\e[0m\c"
echo -e "\e[93m\c"
chronyc sources
echo -e "\e[0m\c"
echo -e "\e[92m\c"
chronyc sourcestats
echo -e "\e[0m\c"
echo -e "\e[94m\c"
chronyc clients
echo -e "\e[0m\c"

From Boston the best time is from Apple and Cloudflare, respectively. They are both substantially better than pool.ntp.org. Perhaps the same is true in Italy. Cloudflare supports NTS encrypted NTP. An nslookup of time.apple.com returns five servers, so I use all five.
Lines in chrony.conf
Code:
ntsdumpdir /opt/var/lib/chrony
pool time.apple.com iburst maxsources 5
pool time.cloudflare.com nts
I wrote a script to show all available information about chrony status from the command line
Code:
#!/bin/sh
echo -e "\e[91m\c"
chronyc -N authdata
echo -e "\e[0m\c"
echo -e "\e[96m\c"
chronyc selectdata
echo -e "\e[0m\c"
echo -e "\e[95m\c"
chronyc tracking
echo " "
chronyc ntpdata | head -27 | tail -26
echo -e "\e[0m\c"
echo -e "\e[93m\c"
chronyc sources
echo -e "\e[0m\c"
echo -e "\e[92m\c"
chronyc sourcestats
echo -e "\e[0m\c"
echo -e "\e[94m\c"
chronyc clients
echo -e "\e[0m\c"
I also find apple ntp server to be very accurate. Apple NTP servers are listed here:

By the way, nice script. Can add a couple more commands like chronyc serverstats and chronyc activity.

Last edited:
I would suggest using a swap file instead of a swap partition. I would also suggest using amtm to properly format and prepare the USB drive for script use.
zram? is that even possible? (probably a question for @RMerlin or Asus)

zram? ??

Just installed the LTS fork on my RT-N66U for the first time last week, been messing with that, and now installed ntpMerlin.

Working fine with ntpd. Nice little package!

It seems chrony is not available in Entware for MIPS, and trying to select it confuses ntpMerlin a bit, but just toggling back worked.

Getting one UI glitch though - the "Version information: check" and "Update stats" buttons do not complete. Both just twirl the progress indicator seemingly indefinitely. Tested in Firefox and Brave.

The update stats button is working - if you refresh the page after a while you can see the new entry in the stats that was triggered, it's just that the page doesn't update itself.

Edit: a smaller UI glitch - it never fills in "Stats last updated:". I can see a date in /jffs/addons/ntpmerlin.d/ntpstatstext.js, but it doesn't reach the web UI.

Last edited:
zram has been discussed in the past, for example here. I think the general consensus was that even if it could be enabled it would offer little benefit given the limited amount of RAM available. It might be more feasible on the more recent routers but in any case it wouldn't be applicable to jffs or nvram in any way.

zram has been discussed in the past, for example here. I think the general consensus was that even if it could be enabled it would offer little benefit given the limited amount of RAM available. It might be more feasible on the more recent routers but in any case it wouldn't be applicable to jffs or nvram in any way.
I agree the help would be minimal over a normal swap file. And the router would take a CPU performance hit for the sake of the ZRAM. The CPUs already suffer enough with what ever the router process or user scripts that bog it down. Not to mention the higher potential for data corruption on router power loss.

Just installed the LTS fork on my RT-N66U for the first time last week, been messing with that, and now installed ntpMerlin.

Working fine with ntpd. Nice little package!

It seems chrony is not available in Entware for MIPS, and trying to select it confuses ntpMerlin a bit, but just toggling back worked.

Getting one UI glitch though - the "Version information: check" and "Update stats" buttons do not complete. Both just twirl the progress indicator seemingly indefinitely. Tested in Firefox and Brave.

The update stats button is working - if you refresh the page after a while you can see the new entry in the stats that was triggered, it's just that the page doesn't update itself.

Edit: a smaller UI glitch - it never fills in "Stats last updated:". I can see a date in /jffs/addons/ntpmerlin.d/ntpstatstext.js, but it doesn't reach the web UI.
this is an issue in the fork's webui, i believe, it doesn't seem to like ajax's way of cachebusting which adds a "?timestamp" to the end of the URL. One for @john9527 ?

this is an issue in the fork's webui, i believe, it doesn't seem to like ajax's way of cachebusting which adds a "?timestamp" to the end of the URL. One for @john9527 ?
The ajax functions should be the same....is there any error posted in the browser console?