What's new

NVRAM Question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cmoskowitz

Occasional Visitor
I tried Merlin's latest build and had issues with my VPN so I revered back to the _29 beta build which was fine for me. The issue now is my wifi is all screwed up and was fine before. I played with all settings, but figured I should clear the VRAM just to be sure. Can I do the following?
-Clear NVRAM, then re-upload my saved settings for the merlin build? Is there any expectation that the config will have to be rebuilt manually or am I ok to do this?

Thank You.

-Clear NVRAM, then re-upload my saved settings for the merlin build? Is there any expectation that the config will have to be rebuilt manually or am I ok to do this?
Hi,

The saved backup is just a copy of NVRAM: Restoring it will bring you back to the same NVRAM as before - no need to clean it upfront... :rolleyes:

Clearing NVRAM and starting with minimal MANUAL settings would be the right way forward! :eek:

With kind regards
Joe :cool:

Last edited:
I'm assuming doing this also will keep the firmware intact? Thanks for all of your help. Will have to jot down all of my settings and start from scratch :mad:

I'm assuming doing this also will keep the firmware intact?
Hi,

Resetting the settings (NVRAM!) does no harm to the firmware.

By the way: R u sure that you restored the backup from the old firmware to the old version?
Messing up the backup between firmware version might not work... :rolleyes:

With kind regards
Joe :cool:

yea, what is happening is that my wifi is just not strong, getting cut in/out, it used to smoke (2.4), just getting disconnects etc, erratic behavior, latency and throughput. But I did flash the router with the latest, then rolled back and re-applied the configs and got the issue.

Make sure you read the recent Changelog. There was a bug in saved backups from previous FW versions that might fail to be properly reloaded, especially if you were using OpenVPN or an SSH key.

ok Merlin so a clean nvram reset should do it? I would totally do it with the latest FW you have but I need my TAP openvpn int to function.

ok Merlin so a clean nvram reset should do it? I would totally do it with the latest FW you have but I need my TAP openvpn int to function.

So far I have been unable to reproduce the TAP issues reported by 1-2 users - it was working fine for me after spending an evening testing it.

maybe I will clear the nvram and re-try your firmware (latest), that is the only fair approach. Thanks a bunch.