What's new

Odd issue with Netgear R7000 and Hitron CGN3

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

pbc

Regular Contributor
I purchased an R7000 today to use as my wireless router hooked up to a cable service providers HITRON CGN3 which I turned off wireless and gateway functionality on.

Issue is the R7000 doesn't want to obtain an ip address from the modem whatsoever.

I called the cable provider tech support to ensure I had the Hitron settings correct and he redid them as well from his end and was also baffled that we couldn't get the router to obtain an address at all. He saw the router connected, but no ip address was passed over.

We then tried different cables and ports, and I connected a laptop to the modem and it quickly obtained an address. So the tech support guy said he did all he could do and to call Netgear to see if they could help.

I also checked the admin page of the R7000 to ensure it was set to obtain an ip address dynamically, and it was.

While I will call Netgear later tonight when I'm back home, figured I'd post here to see if anyone else has experienced this issue and or had ideas what the issue could be?

FWIW, I recently tried doing the same with a TP C7 router and had no issues obtaining an address. So it appears to be a router issue?

Thanks!

PS.. First post so go easy on me! :)

We occasionally see problems like this. Usually due to Ethernet components that don't like to auto-negotiate.

If you have the ability to force the Ethernet settings on the HITRON, try forcing 100 Mbps full duplex.

Another trick I have used is to insert a switch between the two devices that are having problems. Just connect one switch port to the HITRON and another to the NETGEAR WAN port.

Hi,
Call back your ISP tech support to convert your modem/router into bridge mode. In my case ISP is Shaw and that was first thing I did when they upgraded modem/router in my house. First time I talked to a guy in tech support he did not understand what I was asking, when I tried second time another girl answered and she just downloaded different firmware pronto.

Last edited:
Hi,
Call back your ISP tech support to convert your modem/router into bridge mode. In my case ISP is Shaw and that was first thing I did when they upgraded modem/router in my house. First time I talked to a guy in tech support he did not understand what I was asking, when I tried second time another girl answered and she just downloaded different firmware pronto.

That is what the ISP tech guy did. I actually did it myself the first time (turning off the wireless function and the Gateway functionality puts the Hitron into Bridge mode), but when that didn't work I reset it. Called up Rogers and they put it into Bridge mode to try it as well with the same result.

Wonder if I should just try exchanging the router. Maybe I got a bad one. Haven't had any time to get back at it.

Another trick I have used is to insert a switch between the two devices that are having problems. Just connect one switch port to the HITRON and another to the NETGEAR WAN port.

If this works, could I then disconnect the switch and connect it directly, or in your experience do you have to leave the switch connected? Thx!

Figured I'd drop back to close the loop. Turns out all I had to do was connect my laptop to the router, then in the Internet Setup section of the Advanced setup routine clone my computers MAC address instead of using the router's address.

Not sure why I didn't do that the first time around, guess it's a little bit old school and didn't think I had to as the last two routers I tried (Asus RT-N66 and TP Link Archer C7) didn't require this step!

But good to go now!

Btw that Hitron is garbage especially if you have a strong cable signal coming in. I had to reboot mine every 2 days. The tech had to come in and put an attenuator to stabilize my strong signal. It worked better but I still had to reboot it every 3-4 days. Dumped it for the Cisco modem and took off the attenuator and haven't rebooted the modem in over 30 days.

Sent from my Nexus 5

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!