What's new

OFDMA and MU-MIMO Screwed up Wireless Casting to TV

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jorgsmash

Hello Merlin Gang,

I noticed the other day that a MU-MIMO setting, which I thought was enabled by default, was actually disabled by default. When I was researching routers about a year or two ago "MU-MIMO" seemed to be a really HOT buzz word that everyone was talking about it. If you bought a new router and it didn't have that, you f'ked up! So I bought the AX88U because it had all the cool features I'd been researching. MU-MIMO seemed like a cool feature and that it would boost performance! I thought it was just something the router *did* on it's own. I didn't realize it was a setting that I had to enable.

Anyways, I found it the other day and enabled it in my router and rebooted. I switched it to "DL/UL OFDMA + MU-MIMO" and thought I'd be set and ready to experience the benefits of the router being able to stream data more efficiently and to multiple hosts simultaneously. But there's just one problem: It broke the casting ability of my LG smart TV.

I sometimes cast Youtube from my android phone to my TV, and usually the TV just shows up when I click the cast button. The other night, I went to cast something, and it wasn't there. I tried closing the app, turning off the TV, nothing. Then I remembered that setting. I went and disabled it, and boom it worked again.

Anyone know why that would happen? I'm not sure what network protocols the LG TV use to show up on the network as TV that you can cast to, perhaps UPnP or something else. But it clearly was broken by the setting that I had turned on. I'm fine leaving it off, but if that setting is designed to increase the performance of the network, I wish it would work.

Hello Merlin Gang,

I noticed the other day that a MU-MIMO setting, which I thought was enabled by default, was actually disabled by default. When I was researching routers about a year or two ago "MU-MIMO" seemed to be a really HOT buzz word that everyone was talking about it. If you bought a new router and it didn't have that, you f'ked up! So I bought the AX88U because it had all the cool features I'd been researching. MU-MIMO seemed like a cool feature and that it would boost performance! I thought it was just something the router *did* on it's own. I didn't realize it was a setting that I had to enable.

Anyways, I found it the other day and enabled it in my router and rebooted. I switched it to "DL/UL OFDMA + MU-MIMO" and thought I'd be set and ready to experience the benefits of the router being able to stream data more efficiently and to multiple hosts simultaneously. But there's just one problem: It broke the casting ability of my LG smart TV.

I sometimes cast Youtube from my android phone to my TV, and usually the TV just shows up when I click the cast button. The other night, I went to cast something, and it wasn't there. I tried closing the app, turning off the TV, nothing. Then I remembered that setting. I went and disabled it, and boom it worked again.

Anyone know why that would happen? I'm not sure what network protocols the LG TV use to show up on the network as TV that you can cast to, perhaps UPnP or something else. But it clearly was broken by the setting that I had turned on. I'm fine leaving it off, but if that setting is designed to increase the performance of the network, I wish it would work.

I can cast TuneIn and YouTube from my Nexus 7 2013 tablet on the 5.0 band to my wired SONY XR-55A80J 2021 (Google TV) using the following router 5.0 settings:

Screenshot 2022-03-06 171839.jpg

Also works with the 5.0 defaults, Enable and DL OFDMA only.

... using Asuswrt.

OE

Like Ozark edge, I'm able to cast from a tablet and phone to my LG TV with them turned turned on for 5ghz, fwiw.

The adapter in my LG TV is easily confused when making changes to the access point... I would power the TV down and unplug it and plug it back in, and see what happens.

Last edited:
I forgot to mention my TV is hard-wired directly to the router. And my phone was on 5Ghz wifi band. I can try again tomorrow but I'm doubtful I'll get different results.
The mu mimo feature will potentially be helpful if you have multiple mu mimo devices active simultaneously, I believe.
Like Ozark edge, I'm able to cast from a tablet and phone to my LG TV with them turned turned on for 5ghz, fwiw.
My LG TV is just a few months old, and I was surprised that requiring protected frames caused it not to connect any longer.

Edit: The adapter in my LG TV is easily confusedd when making changes to the access point... I would power the TV down and unplug it and plug it back in, and see what happens.

something I learned here was when making changes to the access point, is to forget it in your phone, pick it and log back in again. It’s not clear it’s the problem this case, but it doesn’t take much to try it