What's new

[Official Beta] AiMesh beta firmware for RT-AC68U/RT-AC86U/RT-AC5300/RT-AC88U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry if I missed this, but will the AC5300 be the only triband models supported? I already have 1 and was hoping maybe the 3200 would be available to use the 3rd band backbone option.

Hi Everyone,

Updated:

2017/11/17 release AiMesh beta for RT-AC68U, RT-AC86U, RT-AC3100, RT-AC88U, RT-AC5300 and GT-AC5300

Please download from here:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1w4v_rEB3d7PIxWk3Gwofdke6dvuZOGa9?usp=sharing

Notes:
- Tri-band models are now in early beta stage.
- For tri-band model work with dual band model, we recommend to setup dual band model to be AiMesh router(primary) and triband model to be secondary.

Hi Everyone,

Updated:

2017/11/17 release AiMesh beta for RT-AC68U, RT-AC86U, RT-AC3100, RT-AC88U, RT-AC5300 and GT-AC5300

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1w4v_rEB3d7PIxWk3Gwofdke6dvuZOGa9?usp=sharing

Notes:
- For tri-band model work with dual band model, we recommend to setup dual band model to be AiMesh router(primary) and triband model to be secondary.

Are there any change logs? Is ifttt/alexa supported now for ac5300? When is the next release for ac5300?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For tri-band model work with dual band model, we recommend to setup dual band model to be AiMesh router(primary) and triband model to be secondary
Can I presume this is because tri-band are just in early stage and this will be addressed in the near future?

My gt-5300 is on its way to me and I would definitely want and need that one to be primary instead of my 68u.

Hi Everyone,

Notes:
Not able to update the nodes to the latest firmware from the main router. When I check for the latest firmware it seems to suggest the non AiMesh version. I updated the main router manually, but the buttons to update the nodes manually is not working for me.

Last edited:
Not able to update the nodes to the latest firmware from the main router. When I check for the latest firmware it seems to suggest the non AiMesh version. I updated the main router manually, but the buttons to update the nodes manually is not working for me.

Updated: Link is working. It was very slow to bring up the page that allows you to select the firmware file to manually update on the first node. For the second node it was very quick.

Still looks like you have to manually update each router as the check for update recommends the non AiMesh firmware version.

Does the AiMesh beta firmware include the updates and fixes from the public releases? I noticed the RT-AC68U had updates for KRACK and other security fixes for the 2017/11/10 release. Do these fixes also apply to the latest beta AiMesh firmware?

Does the AiMesh beta firmware include the updates and fixes from the public releases? I noticed the RT-AC68U had updates for KRACK and other security fixes for the 2017/11/10 release. Do these fixes also apply to the latest beta AiMesh firmware?

I would of thought so. The _18943 bit is usually the SDK version.

Last edited:
Screenshot_20171118-134316.jpg
Hi Everyone,

Updated:

Notes:

Thank you Wilson, this was a smooth update for my two converted tm1900 to ac68u, the only thing is after a few minutes the node appears offline on the main router window but the node still funtions perfectly, accepting connections in mesh etc. Is this a known bug ? the same offline thing happened with the previous version (11/7)
Peace

update smooth on two ac86u units. wireless printing on my canon ts6020 is now working. IFTTT/Alexa still not there.

IFTTT/Alexa is available on my RT-AC3100. I set it up and linked to the Alexa.

The following ASUS Skills are supported on ASUS Router :
• Alexa, ask ASUS ROUTER.
• Alexa, ask ASUS ROUTER to turn on the Guest Network.
• Alexa, ask ASUS ROUTER to turn on the Guest Network for 3 hours.
• Alexa, ask ASUS ROUTER to turn off the Guest Network.
• Alexa, ask ASUS ROUTER to pause the Internet.
• Alexa, ask ASUS ROUTER to cut Internet on all devices. (leave Alexa echo online)
• Alexa, ask ASUS ROUTER to restore Internet on all devices..
• Alexa, ask ASUS ROUTER to turn on the Game Mode
• Alexa, ask ASUS ROUTER to turn on the Media Mode
• Alexa, ask ASUS ROUTER to pair a new device. (enable WPS)
• Alexa, ask ASUS ROUTER to auto restart.
• Alexa, ask ASUS ROUTER upgrade to the latest firmware.

I saw earlier mentions about the RT-AC66U, but that never got followed up. Will the AC66U B1 be supported, considering under the hood it really is just a AC68U?

Anyone tried the latest update on ac5300? Are all features working? Is it stable enough for daily use?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IFTTT/Alexa is available on my RT-AC3100. I set it up and linked to the Alexa.

The following ASUS Skills are supported on ASUS Router :
• Alexa, ask ASUS ROUTER.
• Alexa, ask ASUS ROUTER to turn on the Guest Network.
• Alexa, ask ASUS ROUTER to turn on the Guest Network for 3 hours.
• Alexa, ask ASUS ROUTER to turn off the Guest Network.
• Alexa, ask ASUS ROUTER to pause the Internet.
• Alexa, ask ASUS ROUTER to cut Internet on all devices. (leave Alexa echo online)
• Alexa, ask ASUS ROUTER to restore Internet on all devices..
• Alexa, ask ASUS ROUTER to turn on the Game Mode
• Alexa, ask ASUS ROUTER to turn on the Media Mode
• Alexa, ask ASUS ROUTER to pair a new device. (enable WPS)
• Alexa, ask ASUS ROUTER to auto restart.
• Alexa, ask ASUS ROUTER upgrade to the latest firmware.
is not available on all models yet. Certainly not available on the AC86u

View attachment 10996

Thank you Wilson, this was a smooth update for my two converted tm1900 to ac68u, the only thing is after a few minutes the node appears offline on the main router window but the node still funtions perfectly, accepting connections in mesh etc. Is this a known bug ? the same offline thing happened with the previous version (11/7)
Peace

it's known issue and thanks for your feedback.

Now I'm wondering what is the exact reason tri-band is recommended to be "slave".
Is that software is too new? Or "Refine config sync as triband and dualband connectivity case."?

Hmmm, with all the risks, I'm going against recommendation and configure tri-band to be master and two-band to be slave. Worst can happen is to have to reconfigure everything from scratch.

Would appreciate it if Wilson could reply to the following recent query. Thanks.

Wilson:
Can you explain the backhaul portion of the technology? For wireless connections between router and node, does it use the 5 or 2.4 GHz? For the node, is it effectively a repeater and so the throughput is cut by half? I assume that there will be no throughput penalty with wired backhaul, is that correct?

Wilson:
Can you explain the backhaul portion of the technology? For wireless connections between router and node, does it use the 5 or 2.4 GHz? For the node, is it effectively a repeater and so the throughput is cut by half? I assume that there will be no throughput penalty with wired backhaul, is that correct?

Also, I just upgraded the firmware router on my setup, and the firmware did not propagate to the node, I am assuming that this is because the hardware were not originally meant to be part of a mesh network and so such a function is not built in and will not be in the future?

Do you have an ETA for RT-3100 support?

Rmerlin:
Will there be Merlin version of the mesh firmware in the future?

Now I'm wondering what is the exact reason tri-band is recommended to be "slave".
Is that software is too new? Or "Refine config sync as triband and dualband connectivity case."?

Hmmm, with all the risks, I'm going against recommendation and configure tri-band to be master and two-band to be slave. Worst can happen is to have to reconfigure everything from scratch.

Hi,

Basically no matter tri-band to be primary or secondary are both ok to use.
why suggested to put tri-band to secondary is there will be a dedicated backhaul to connect to primary, so will not degrade speed for clients link to secondary lot.
if you only have 1 tri and 1 dual, we suggest this.
if you have 2 tri, would be better for sure.

I haven't seen this answered anywhere yet -- can AiMesh be enabled with the primary device in AP mode?

I would like to set this up with a pfSense router feeding two AC68R's operating as access points. Everything I have seen regarding AiMesh refers to setting up the "primary router" and then the other devices as nodes. I'm not sure if this is because the primary device has to be operating as a router, or because that's just the most common configuration.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!