What's new

[Official Release] AiMesh Firmware v3.0.0.4.384.10007 for All Supported Products

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Found something interesting,
[IPF-Block_WAN_Access-Block_AIMesh_OUT] BLOCK src ip 192.168.11.4 mac b0:6e:bf:xx:xx:xx dst ip 192.168.1.1 proto udp DPT=5355,
All my device IP within 192.168.11.1/24, why the node try to access a non exist IP?
the node is a AC68U with 384.10007

I am new around here but this thread has been helpful and I have been somewhat successful with AIMesh this week so I thought I would share what has worked and what hasn't.

I currently have an RT-AC5300 running the AIMesh Beta as well as (2) RT-AC3100 running the release AIMesh firmwares.

Initially I had the 3 setup as the RT-AC5300 as my main router and the (2) RT-AC3100's running as AP's connected to the RT-AC5300 via Cat6. While this setup worked, it never worked well with a merged SSID (2.4ghz clients sometimes wouldn't connect) and separating the SSID's was just too much with 3 routers.

Also on my network are multiple Netgear GS108 managed switches handling bonded LACP LAG connections between my workstations and servers, as well as a Zigbee/Z-Wave smart home setup with over 110 devices. Needless to say, there is a lot going on in the 2.4ghz spectrum, but channels have been isolated and everything works relatively well.

On Monday, after updating all the firmwares on the RT-AC5300 and RT-A3100's, I reconfigured the RT-AC5300 as my main router and reconfigured it as it was with all the port forwarding, DDNS, etc, etc, etc before attempting to setup AIMesh. Once I was ready to configure the nodes, I did factory defaults on both RT-AC3100's and they both were found and paired to the RT-AC5300. I then was able to move them to their locations and set them up with ethernet backhauls to the RT-AC5300. Everything seemed to work fine for about 24hrs, but after returning from work the next day I found both nodes had dropped off and couldn't be found again.

After reading many of the comments here echoing the same issues, I decided to try a different approach. I grabbed my old RT-N66U out of the closet, removed it's antenna and installed the latest version of Merlin on it to be used as just a gateway router with all my port forwarding, DDNS, etc, etc, etc configured on it. Connected to the RT-N66U via cat6 are my GS108 switches and the RT-AC5300. Once all that was setup, I then configured the RT-AC5300 as a AIMesh AP Router, only following the guided setup to assign the SSID, security and static IP. I then reset the RT-AC3100's and they paired right up with the RT-AC5300 as nodes. From there I moved them to their locations with Cat6 backhauls plugged directly into the RT-AC5300.

So my config looks like: ISP Modem -> RT-N66U (No Wifi) -> RT-AC5300 (AIMesh AP Mode) ->(2)RT-AC3100s (AIMesh Nodes)

For the past 3 days, all has been working perfectly, both 2.4ghz and 5ghz clients connect and move seamlessly throughout the house :)

Asus has a long way to go to make this user friendly, but when it works, it's pretty good.

i had to role it back , then it auto updated it again and still working.
it works when you dont change the mode in 384 based firmware, which leads me believe that the new configuration page is what to blame.

FYI for all... I found that if you have a non mesh AC68 router connected via WAN ethernet to the network you won't be able to access it. I've tried several factory resets and immediately after running setup (regular, not joining the mesh) you can't get to the login page. The Aimesh router, and any other sniffer, sees it on the network but you can't get it to at all.

This firmware should never have been released

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

FYI for all... I found that if you have a non mesh AC68 router connected via WAN ethernet to the network you won't be able to access it. I've tried several factory resets and immediately after running setup (regular, not joining the mesh) you can't get to the login page. The Aimesh router, and any other sniffer, sees it on the network but you can't get it to at all.

This firmware should never have been released

Did you change the IP address of this non-Mesh router (actually an AP)? I made it a static one in the master router's DHCP.

Did you change the IP address of this non-Mesh router (actually an AP)? I made it a static one in the master router's DHCP.
Yes, I dhcp reservations. It has the correct Ip and I can get to it but it shows the "this Ip has changed' page

It will bring down my whole network, not only internet, i.e. can't ping/connect other device on my network for 30secs~1mins when reboot

The problem is more serious right now, if I keeps the ac68u power on then after a while it will start interrupt my network again, currently only a network cam connect to the aimesh by wifi, all others hardwired to the cisco siwtch or the draytek router, no device connect to the ac68u lan port, wan port is hardwired to the switch or router for backhaul .

My environment look like this:

nDWpjOf.jpg

and when the ac68u act weird:

ping from my pc 11.100, 11.1 is the draytek router, 11.3 is the ac68u as AP, I try power on only 1 ac68u per test but it still happen, all the 3 ac68u will interrupt my network alone

VtKnbSq.jpg

We can not duplicate your issue, could you provide your contact info.(e-mail) by private message ?

do a factory reset and use the asus search tool

Not sure what I'm supposed to do with the Device Discovery tool? It sees the AC68 after factory-reset (192.168.1.1, see screen shot) but cant do anything with it since it is on a different subnet. My network is 192.168.2.x (you can see the AiMesh Router is 2.1

Oddly enough, the tool Doesnt see the AC68 sitting at 192.168.2.3, which has joined the Mesh and has been working'mostly (I think)

I have not had any issues using the Android App to configure the reset router, but after it comes back up, with the proper IP (192.168.2.2) I can get to the login page, only the web page that say the IP changed.

Is this another bug of this version of FW?

Attachments

• ASUS.JPG
    ASUS.JPG
    30 KB · Views: 606
Hi All,

I asked in an earlier post about which gigabit Switch supports ASUS AiMesh, unfortunately, I did not get a positive reply; largely due to the fact that there are so many of such switches out there.

So, I experimented by getting a newer Cisco SG95D-08 8-Port Gigabit Switch yesterday, and found that this works nicely with ASUS AiMesh with Ethernet Backhaul. I leave my Connection Priority as “Auto”, it goes to Ethernet almost immediately.

Hope it is useful for to someone else who might be looking for one that works with ASUS AiMesh.

Previously my 2 other older Cisco Switches, If I set Connection Priority to “Auto”
• SD2005 Ver 3 - Connection Type -> always goes to “Wireless”
• SG 100D-08 - Connection Type -> only one of them will be “Ethernet”, the other “Wireless”

For context, my 3 AiMesh Devices are connected as follows, largely using default settings:
  • RT-AC5300U (R 1.31) - AiMesh Router (RT-AC5300_9.0.0.4_382_19612-g01e94f5.trx)
    • Connected via direct CAT 7 LAN cable to a different room
  • Cisco SG95D-08 (8 Port Gigabit Switch)
    • Connected via direct CAT 7 LAN cables to WAN Port
  • RT-AC86U (R 1.5) - AiMesh Node (RT-AC86U_3.0.0.4_384_10007-g8e859e9_cferom_ubi.w)
  • RT-AC68U (R A2) - AiMesh Node (RT-AC68U_3.0.0.4_384_10007-g8e859e9.trx)
I am thankful that I have very pleasant experience with the beta and released firmware. I do have some challenges during the initial setup, including need to Reboot AiMesh Router and Factory Reset AiMesh Node. However, once done, I do not have disconnection issues that others faced.

I tried to set an https certificate in SSH modus. Also broke the connection with the node.
Code:
nvram set https_crt_save=1
cat >/etc/key.pem (and pasted my key)
cat >/etc/cert.pem (and pasted my certificate)
service restart_httpd
Now I had a valid certificate.
Rebooted router, node was not found anymore.
Clearing everything didn't fix this:
Code:
nvram set https_crt_save=0
nvram unset https_crt_file
rm /etc/key.pem
rm /etc/cert.pem
service restart_httpd
reboot
So there is definitly something wrong here.

I am new around here but this thread has been helpful and I have been somewhat successful with AIMesh this week so I thought I would share what has worked and what hasn't.
Asus has a long way to go to make this user friendly, but when it works, it's pretty good.
Thank you for sharing your experience with AIMesh with us. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.